Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

49 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I have a strong dislike for Mugabi and Illic. At the games I wouldn’t boo them or anything but they’re not very good.

The reaction around me when Mugabi stormed back to the dugout as Hartley was down injured would suggest you are not alone.

Yeh - Gallacher has won an actual Scotland cap when playing with us by being good - I think that makes him the winner given how few times that has happened over the years.

Campbell is a stick on for YPOTY - both as he has had a good season (with some dips when he's knackered) and also because no other player who is U21 eligible has made an impact on the first team and is still here. Giving it to James Scott to cheer him up as he sits at home nursing his ankle and counting his money would be the only other option I guess - but Campbell has been better than him this season.

Quite a revealing line in Robinson's press conference today:

"Ultimately I've used the same players over and over again because they've been better than the other boys. Simple as that."

Link

It follows on from him talking in the press conference prior to the County game where he was saying that:

"I've used the same 12, 13 players over and over again because they're the boys that I've trusted."

Link

Looking at the break down of the squad in terms of minutes played (in the spoiler below) you've got Gillespie, Gallagher and Campbell having played 3000+ mins, Polworth Grimshaw, Donnelly, Carroll and Hartley 2000+ mins and the various "forwards" 1000+...looking at that it's clear which players he "trusts".

I imagine he trusts Hartley and Tait implicitly but it'd have been interesting if there would have been as much of a difference in playing time had Dunne not picked up his injuries.

Spoiler

1535658581_ScreenShot2020-03-06at09_14_54.png.f1bda9feb14101651edecbd9738a65f4.png185433675_ScreenShot2020-03-06at12_23_50.png.2de6c22fc8e1f6aee85e56bf9c91a253.png

He also seems to have been hammering the "young", "inexperienced" squad line a lot in the past week or so - which is fine. It is. And yes, we'll absolutely have dips in form.

It seems notable given we very publicly shifted from that core of McDonald, Lasley, McFadden, Pearson McManus, Hammell (due to retirement etc) which again is fine - absolutely zero argument from me in terms of principle but I think it's fair to say that in each season he's been in charge Robinson's faced different problems in terms of the make up of the squad and he's learned and adapted - I suppose I'm curious to see if the "experience" side of things is something that becomes more of a consideration in future.

Then again we signed a 27 year old who had 8 caps for Denmark and he couldn't get in the team so...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kind of related, fair fucks to Tony Watt - for someone on a short term deal he seems to be going all in with engaging with the club in terms of socials and the like. Saw he was RTing the Bois stuff from the other night and generally coming across like he's fully into being here. Good lad.

Edited by capt_oats

20 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Tony Watt has been better than I expected so far. Even more impressive given he seems to survive on a diet of breakfast rolls and pic n mix.

Before he joined, consensus seemed to be he usually starts well, then gets bored. Which will probably suit us just fine as long as we have no designs on him past the summer.

On 05/03/2020 at 10:54, Al B said:

t's Declan Donnelly at the back for me, which also solves the O'Hara/Donnelly issue.

Edit to say - "Declan Donnelly" was completely unintentional until I read it back, but it just adds to the reasons why it's the right thing to do.

Nice to see the club are fully on board with this idea in the official Ross County match report, although sadly opting for the combination of Liam Gallagher rather than Declan Donnelly.

15 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

Tony Watt has been better than I expected so far. Even more impressive given he seems to survive on a diet of breakfast rolls and pic n mix.

He's never fuckin out that breakfast rolls place

33 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:
1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:
He's never fuckin out that breakfast rolls place

I won't lie, I've been tempted to take a jaunt up to Bath Street one day to see what it's all about. Might even meet the man himself.

Tbh, I've always just assumed it's a pal of his that has the place and he's just punting it as a favour given he's got a decent number of followers rather than him being in smashing breakfast rolls all day, every day.

Pretty much the same though, it's crossed my mind to take a wander along.

Edited by capt_oats