Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

9 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

I feel personally attacked.

To be fair to Hylton, he can beat his man and is semi decent running at the byline.

He's fucking awful with the next part whatever he tries, corss/shot/pass, it's always balls.

51 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

To be fair to Hylton, he can beat his man and is semi decent running at the byline.

He's fucking awful with the next part whatever he tries, corss/shot/pass, it's always balls.

Direct replacement for Ariyibi from last season tbf. He'd nutmeg four folk wide on the left then break a window in Carluke with his shot. 

I thought Hylton had a decent 80 minutes tonight, the amount of mistakes he made in the last 10 minutes, playing for a team 3-1 up was quite something though. Robinson got it right with his team selection last night, as much as I was going for a front three of Aarons, Watt and Long.

Was saying to a few mates last night that our "forwards"  have tiers:

Long/Watt/Aarons

Hylton

MacIver

Seedorf/Ilic/Manzinga

Edit: Forgot Ndjoli, but I  don't know where I'd place him.

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

13 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Direct replacement for Ariyibi from last season tbf. He'd nutmeg four folk wide on the left then break a window in Carluke with his shot. 

See, in fairness to Hylton his effort off the bar for the 2nd goal was a sensational bit of technique and should (quite rightly) be getting clipped and fired straight into his highlight reel.

I thought Hylton was decent last night. Not much in the way of end product other than his effort off the bar that indirectly set up Campbell, but he bought space for Tait and Long to get balls across the box as he usually had at least two men on him.

Certainly did more than Aarons who seemed to struggle to control the ball last night.

Slightly eclipsed by Campbell and O'Hara's performances, but Polworth played some absolutely insane passes last night. Just shows what he's capable of when he gets a yard of space with people running off him.

Agree about Polworth -  but in general, last night's midfield was interesting to watch - it felt like a very good blend of styles, maybe as good as it's been this season and I'm not sure how Robinson will play it from here on in. Assuming Turnbull is more or less up and running again after another couple of sub appearances - we have 5 players that could all argue the case for being a nailed-on starter and it is undoubtedly the strongest area of our team this season. 

I'd be all for the same starting 3 on Saturday - with Donnelly (I assume he's back) and Turnbull being the definition of good options on the bench.

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I thought Hylton had a decent 80 minutes tonight, the amount of mistakes he made in the last 10 minutes, playing for a team 3-1 up was quite something though. Robinson got it right with his team selection last night, as much as I was going for a front three of Aarons, Watt and Long.

Was saying to a few mates last night that our "forwards"  have tiers:

Long/Watt/Aarons

Hylton

MacIver

Seedorf/Ilic/Manzinga

Edit: Forgot Ndjoli, but I  don't know where I'd place him.

I kind of have thoughts on this in a broader sense but I suppose there's  been a divergence of expectation with the way this season's panned out.

Long and the short of it is that Hylton would probably be getting a bit of an easier ride if expectations were more in line with his skillset.

When we signed Hylton (and Seedorf, Ilic and Manzinga I guess) our expectations in order of priority are 1. stay in the league, 2. push for Top 6.

Maintaining the sort of form needed for a tilt at Top 4 is an entirely different mentality. Especially in a league where Celtic and their impending quadruple treble has kind of been normalised.

If we were sitting say 7th or 8th (clear of the relegation conversation) there's a chance that Hylton fits in with a team in that sort of bracket and we'd be more inclined to accentuate the positives, tbh @well fan for life's comparison with Gboly kind of illustrates that. The second half of last season was a brilliant laugh but was largely informed by the dross that preceded it.

Fact is - and Robinson alluded to this in his pre-match - we've been Top 4 since 14th September and 3rd for 17 of 25 rounds of fixtures since then - so that's kind of where we are now and it's the realistic expectation.

Edited by capt_oats

11 minutes ago, fat_tony said:

I thought Hylton was decent last night. Not much in the way of end product other than his effort off the bar that indirectly set up Campbell, but he bought space for Tait and Long to get balls across the box as he usually had at least two men on him.

Certainly did more than Aarons who seemed to struggle to control the ball last night.

Slightly eclipsed by Campbell and O'Hara's performances, but Polworth played some absolutely insane passes last night. Just shows what he's capable of when he gets a yard of space with people running off him.

I'd agree with pretty much all of that. When you think on the face of it, Hylton got an "assist" of sorts for the first two goals last night.

Last night was the first time I've seen Aarons in a winning team, but probably his worst individual performance. Either way, he strikes me as the type of player who has is that raw way where he'll be a threat even on days when he's having a stinker.

5 minutes ago, Swello said:

Agree about Polworth -  but in general, last night's midfield was interesting to watch - it felt like a very good blend of styles, maybe as good as it's been this season and I'm not sure how Robinson will play it from here on in. Assuming Turnbull is more or less up and running again after another couple of sub appearances - we have 5 players that could all argue the case for being a nailed-on starter and it is undoubtedly the strongest area of our team this season. 

I'd be all for the same starting 3 on Saturday - with Donnelly (I assume he's back) and Turnbull being the definition of good options on the bench.

It's good to have options in the midfield three again. Donnelly is still banned on Saturday. Ultimately, a fully fit Turnbull probably steps in for Polworth in my opinion, as harsh as that may be.

O'Hara was one I was unsure of, but he's really coming onto a game now. I think he's earned the right to keep Donnelly out (and I'm a Donnelly fan) for the timebeing.

I'd actually consider putting Donnelly back in beside Gallagher if Hartley has any more hiccups. Hartley was reasonable enough last night.

Hartley's tea is oot for me. I genuinely like him but the amount of times I see him respond to his own mistakes by stamping his feet and flailing his arms at other people is increasing, and he's no longer in the top 2 options at centre half (hasn't been for a while tbh but he's got some amount of "credit in the bank"). IMHAHO he's strictly a squad player now who can come in when needed.

It's Declan Donnelly at the back for me, which also solves the O'Hara/Donnelly issue.

Edit to say - "Declan Donnelly" was completely unintentional until I read it back, but it just adds to the reasons why it's the right thing to do.

Edited by Al B

36 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Polworth SHROO BALL to long is on my list of "most shaggable passes" for the year.

Some of his passing last night was sensational.  

The one in the 2nd half where he played it in behind Ricky Foster to Aarons was outrageously good. Paced and weighted to absolute perfection. 

33 minutes ago, Al B said:

Hartley's tea is oot for me. I genuinely like him but the amount of times I see him respond to his own mistakes by stamping his feet and flailing his arms at other people is increasing, and he's no longer in the top 2 options at centre half (hasn't been for a while tbh but he's got some amount of "credit in the bank"). IMHAHO he's strictly a squad player now who can come in when needed.

It's Declan Donnelly at the back for me, which also solves the O'Hara/Donnelly issue.

Edit to say - "Declan Donnelly" was completely unintentional until I read it back, but it just adds to the reasons why it's the right thing to do.

This is the type of patter I live for.

Would it be too much to change Liam Donnelly's name to "Anthony Donnelly"?

46 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Some of his passing last night was sensational.  

The one in the 2nd half where he played it in behind Ricky Foster to Aarons was outrageously good. Paced and weighted to absolute perfection. 

I would imagine a quick look at Turnbull in training has probably served as a motivational tool for Polworth :)

56 minutes ago, Swello said:

I would imagine a quick look at Turnbull in training has probably served as a motivational tool for Polworth :)

That would be magic. as good as he's been I think he's been slacking recently (whole team had really) and I often think he could offer more on top of what he has/does.

Spoiler

His shooting is awful

Robinson talking up O'Hara in the Motherwell Times.

Motherwell manager Stephen Robinson is very keen to retain loan star Mark O'Hara, scorer of the opening goal in Wednesday night's impressive 4-1 home Scottish Premiership thumping of Ross County.

The on loan Peterborough United ace impressed against County, but his existing deal at Fir Park is due to expire at the end of the season.

"For me Mark O'Hara was outstanding," Robinson said.

"If there's any way we can keep Mark O'Hara I'll be doing everything in my power to do that."

Link

4 hours ago, Al B said:

To be fair to hartley Aarons was far too slow reacting to the front post cornerand took a ba angle to the ball. Ending up wiping hartley out.

Just now, ropy said:

If he was a Peterborough United ace he wouldn’t be with us, presumably they don’t rate him, or did he just want to come home?

They want shot of him - he was out on loan at Lincoln for part of last season as well.

He's been "transfer listed":

"Goalkeeper Aaron Chapman, midfielders Callum Cooke, Mark O’Hara, winger Isaac Buckley-Ricketts and striker Matt Stevens have been placed on the transfer list"

Link

The problem is he's still got a year of his contract to run down there.