Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

21 hours ago, 18May1991 said:

Mr Andy Williams is one of the Consultant knee surgeons listed on the Fortius Clinic website.....

I just want Turnbull back 😔

7 minutes ago, dezz said:

Davie Turnbull back on the bench. Unlucky buddies. 7-0 Motherwell.

I love you baby

45 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Good news but would be very surprised if he makes it on to the pitch.

Not sure what the point of having him on the bench is if you don’t give him a few minutes. They’ll build him up slowly.

Edited by Londonwell

At half time after you have dominated do you say keep it the same, or do you say Goodwin is in there telling them how to counteract us, let’s do something different?

Either way, I don’t know what we did, it wasn’t very good.

10 hours ago, ropy said:

At half time after you have dominated do you say keep it the same, or do you say Goodwin is in there telling them how to counteract us, let’s do something different?

Either way, I don’t know what we did, it wasn’t very good.

Said at the end of the game last night. Goodwin has clearly went through them in there and we've been given a timid pat of the head. All conjecture of course

We've been naive like a that all season and probably is the reason we don't have very many draws.

22 minutes ago, Desp said:

I think the positive thing is that, following a home to defeat to St. Mirren, there's not been any wild overreactions on Twitter from Motherwell fans. 

None at all.

If you could point me in the direction of these wild overreactions that certainly aren't on twitter, that would be greatly appreciated.

41 minutes ago, Lobby Dossar said:

The wheels have come off the bus since Xmas ( same with The Rangers )

Is there any connection that both teams line up week in week out with 2 wingers ????

Think other teams have worked out how to nullify this system 

The key to playing with 2 wingers successfully, is to not sign 17 shit ones and constantly rotate them in the hope that one of them might magically become not shit.

40 minutes ago, Al B said:

The key to playing with 2 wingers successfully, is to not sign 17 shit ones and constantly rotate them in the hope that one of them might magically become not shit.

That's more it for me. We've used Scott, Long, Cole, Ilic, Seedorf, Hylton, Manzinga, MacIver and Aarons wide at different points this season, without even really seeing Ndjoli yet. Last year when we made it work for us, Ariyibi and Hastie were pretty much constants in the formation.

This season's recruitment was always going to be a tall order for Robinson in trying to replace those two, as well as having to try and find a striker to contribute some of the goals that came from midfield in Turnbull last season in the loan/free/nominal fee market.

Looks like we have a decent player in Aarons, finally, albeit very temporarily. However, I feel like we might end up wasting him with defensive duties in this lop-sized wing back formation we've seen in the past few games. It seems with the rest of them this season he's gone a bit left-field, i.e. players who are unproven who may come good and they haven't. I'd place Hylton a level above Seedorf and Ilic, but not being Seedorf or Ilic at times seems his best attribute. I think MacIver has potential, but I don't see him having the promoted to the first team impact that for example, Scott or Hastie have had. Then don't get me started on a 25 year-old "project" from the Belgian lower leagues.

At the end of last season, I had no qualms at losing Cadden or Frear, but now we've got to February, I'm looking around and thinking both are far preferable to a lot of the options we do have.

For me, the way forward until the end of the season is Grimshaw and Tait as full backs, Gallagher with hopefully Dunne in the middle, 3 of Donnelly, O'Hara Polworth, Turnbull and Campbell in the middle with Aarons, Watt and Long forming the "two forwards and a winger" formation we seen in the early parts of the season.