Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Had a wee smile at Robinson's pre-match comment:

“I believe it was the right decision on Saturday. We did 11 v 11 between ourselves on the astro on Saturday so we got another 45 minutes into Tony Watt. He becomes a live option but Chris Long is still unavailable. Mikael Ndjoli is still out.”

“Nobody has mentioned Devante Cole or James Scott,” said Robinson. “A lot of physical presence has been taken out of a very successful front three so we’re still trying to find the right combination."

I mean, granted I've not been reading the club's mentions and I've been giving Steelmen a wide berth for a long time so maybe it's being viewed as some great mystery but I thought it was obvious to everyone that removing the physical elements Cole and Scott offered from the front three was one of the main issues we were having.

Tbh, there's something vaguely reassuring in Robinson emphasising that point I suppose. I'd be a bit more concerned if he didn't see there was a problem to solve.

Edited by capt_oats

7 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I see he's steadied the ship defensively at least

Gave away the pen for the 2nd I think. Subbed after 58 mins according to Viva Motherwell.

2-0 down at H/T, go 3-2 up with Killie down to 10 then lose 4-3.

2nd week in a row they've conceded 4. Some bois.

In fairness the Reserve League seems to be an absolute shambles. The team selections are getting chopped and changed every week (when we're actually playing). It's some difference compared  to the Dev League when there seemed to be a regular XI playing.

Edited by capt_oats

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Gave away the pen for the 2nd I think. Subbed after 58 mins according to Viva Motherwell.

2-0 down at H/T, go 3-2 up with Killie down to 10 then lose 4-3.

2nd week in a row they've conceded 4. Some bois.

In fairness the Reserve League seems to be an absolute shambles. The team selections are getting chopped and changed every week (when we're actually playing). It's some difference compared  to the Dev League when there seemed to be a regular XI playing.

It seems to be a massive inconvenience having to scramble about to fit in these games  when we're struggling to get the first-team games on. I'm not sure what the arrangement is with Airdrie and Clyde, but I'd imagine it's quite costly as well having to accommodate them too. 

The teams are very young, wonder if there would be more merit in just organising bounce games and playing in the Youth Cup and Reserve League Cup to get the guys out of the team or those who have been injured back up to speed.

The guys at 16-17 will be featuring for the youth teams already, it seems like reserve football is a waste of time. 

Edited by AndyRoss

37 minutes ago, AndyRoss said:

It seems to be a massive inconvenience having to scramble about to fit in these games  when we're struggling to get the first-team games on. I'm not sure what the arrangement is with Airdrie and Clyde, but I'd imagine it's quite costly as well having to accommodate them too. 

The teams are very young too, wonder if there would be more merit in just organising bounce games and playing in the Youth Cup and Reserve League Cup to get the guys out of the team or those who have been injured back up to speed.

The guys at 16-17 will be featuring for the youth teams already, it seems like reserve football is a waste of time. 

Absolutely.

I mean, I'm not having a go...it was pretty clear from the start of the season that the plan was to run with a smaller group so by extension you're not expecting the same sort of results as when we had essentially a full u20s side (Turnbull, Hastie, Maguire, Livingstone, MacLean, Scott, Mackin, Thomas et al).  Maybe half of those listed on the Reserves page are u18s - Devine's out on loan and Semple's injured (incidentally in a perverse way it's notable how much the Reserves seem to have missed him since he dropped out the side).

There just seems to be a lack of regular football at that level on account of teams having sacked off the League although I imagine there's still games going in the u18s that aren't being reported. They decided that the Dev League wasn't fit for purpose as you were just essentially getting age group playing age group which is fair enough but the 'Reserves' rebrand has been a half-arsed mess.

The whole argument you were hearing from ex-pros about how there needed to be a return to 'Reserve' football has been shown up for the misty-eyed nonsense it always was.

Looking at the list of fixtures - there are gaps in the schedule all over the place.

Edited by capt_oats

The reserves was great back in the day, Monday nights up at Fir Park seeing some utter diddies playing as trialists. Celestine Babyaro's brother in goals was a particular highlight.

Incidentally, I noticed an O Donnell playing for the reserves today, any connection?

14 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

The reserves was great back in the day, Monday nights up at Fir Park seeing some utter diddies playing as trialists. Celestine Babyaro's brother in goals was a particular highlight.

Incidentally, I noticed an O Donnell playing for the reserves today, any connection?

did that happen? I love wee things like that