Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I'm quietly confident it will work out well.

I think some people seem to think that it won't be a success unless he hits double figures, that's not specifically true.

In the first 23 league games of the season, between them Cole and Scott got 7 goals and an individual assist and we got by fine with that. If Aarons and Watt between them can have some sort of similar ratio, you'd have to see both as a success for me.

Tbf Watt is quality, but his agent is constantly touting him about for a move and as soon as he gets interest from a club that interests him he loses interest in the club hes at.

33 minutes ago, nsr said:

After all this he'd better actually be halfway decent. Imagine if he made the return of Ross McCormack look good.

26 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

A look at his stats on wiki doesn't exactly inspire massive confidence, but after that Livi game then I'm  pretty keen to clutch any straws that are going, tbqh.

Also, there are quite a few mentions of bust-ups in his history.  Hopefully any 'big-time-charlie' tendencies have been knocked out of him by now. 

McCormack-esque would be a disaster obviously but all I wan is someone who can control the ball with his back to goal and allow the runners to join the attack.

13 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

McCormack-esque would be a disaster obviously but all I wan is someone who can control the ball with his back to goal and allow the runners to join the attack.

100% this.

Chrissy Long's shown that he's a good finisher but he's not someone who's going to hold the ball up against centre backs. Even Scott wasn't particularly keen on doing that and our assortment of other forwards are varying degrees of lightweight or inexperienced.

If he's able give us an out ball, play with his back to goal, hold the ball up and let folk like Long, Polworth, Donnelly, Campbell etc play off him then that will be smashing.

If we're able to help develop the #32watto brand then great - our paths will be aligned.

Edited by capt_oats

7 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Anyone mind Watt scoring a double on his debut against us? Probably the pinnacle of his career tbh.

He probably rates scoring the winner against Barcelona in the Champions League as slightly higher to be fair.

7 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

When was the last time Watt played? I'd be surprised if he starts tomorrow, think we'll start with same 11 as Wednesday.

His last appearance was 14th December (4-0 win), his last start was 8th December (0-0). So a week or two longer than Aarons - his last start prior to Wednesday was 26th December (2-0 loss).

Good luck to Tony Watt. 

Something obviously happened at Saints towards the end but they managed to suppress it quite well and he left with his head held high and his reputation restored a bit. He was a credit to the club in the way he conducted himself publicly. You got the impression that his contract demands were fanciful (with regards to St Johnstone) though as talks were over as soon as they'd started, with the club being definitive that he was leaving. 

On the pitch? Certainly he started with a bang but which side of the fence you fell on with him depends on if a player that misses easy chances is just unlucky, or is a crap finisher. History suggests the latter but it's fine lines, some of the chances were glaring and you imagine he can't keep missing them. 

The rest of his play was up and down, more towards the up early on, the down a few months in. Folk have always said he gets bored after a while and again, history doesn't help any attempt to refute that. 

You hold onto the hope that these guys will buck the trend and deliver what you imagine they are capable of. I suppose some of them maybe do... 

12 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

His last appearance was 14th December (4-0 win), his last start was 8th December (0-0). So a week or two longer than Aarons - his last start prior to Wednesday was 26th December (2-0 loss).

Did CSKA change their manager? He seemed to fall out of favour very quickly and there was certainly no impression in his social media activity at Xmas that he was on his way out there.