Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

It almost felt like Robinson was making a point towards the end last night- if he wants Watt and hasn’t got him yet. 

No harm to them but the front 3 that finished the game last night was miles off it. Chuck in Ilic as well as the lesser spotted Ndjoli and we might well have a lot in the way of options but sadly, not a great deal of quality. 

Like a few others have already said, I wasn’t fully onboard the #announcetony bus to begin with but after watching the last 3 games if there’s a deal to be done, then just get it done. 

On the plus side, the boy Aarons looked handy and was very impressive 1st half. A shame like that he was blowing out his arse 5 mins into the 2nd but still, he looks an upgrade on the likes of Ilic/Seedorf. 

It almost felt like Robinson was making a point towards the end last night- if he wants Watt and hasn’t got him yet. 
No harm to them but the front 3 that finished the game last night was miles off it. Chuck in Ilic as well as the lesser spotted Ndjoli and we might well have a lot in the way of options but sadly, not a great deal of quality. 
Like a few others have already said, I wasn’t fully onboard the #announcetony bus to begin with but after watching the last 3 games if there’s a deal to be done, then just get it done. 
On the plus side, the boy Aarons looked handy and was very impressive 1st half. A shame like that he was blowing out his arse 5 mins into the 2nd but still, he looks an upgrade on the likes of Ilic/Seedorf. 
Robinson said on the radio afterwards that Aarons hadn't played in two months and was cramping up so I'm surprised he lasted as long but, yeah, looked promising. Strangely, it felt as though we had more chances last night than probably the Livingston and Aberdeen games combined but need to be more clinical.

Not that anyone else would have made much difference last night, but again WHY is Sherwin fucking Seedorf still getting game time for us? The guy is genuinely one of the worst footballers I've ever seen and wouldn't look out of place at junior level.

He is just so, so bad.

3 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Pretty much.

Robinson's post-match:

"My disappointment is that I'm after a degree of certainty what I'm going to get from my front 3 but at times there's no certainty. A lot of our build up play was good but we just didn't have the ruthlessness to finish chances off and ultimately we got punished for it. You create 5 or 6 really, really good opportunites against a very good Celtic side you have to take one of them. We didn't have that quality or ruthlessness to take them and you seen when they got chances what punishment they do to you..."

"Hopefully people will get behind us again and remember what we're able to bring on the pitch we bring a boy on from the Academy, a young kid in Ross and a boy we've got from part-time football in Belgium in comparison to what they bring on. That's not an excuse because believe me I set up to win the game and I tried to be as positive as we could and we pressed the life out of them, we didn't sit back and wait to get beat and if you don't take your chances you get punished and that is the story of it.'

Spoiler

Thing about that - and it's not a criticism - is that we've heard iterations of the same all season about missing a bit of quality and consistency in the final third (even when Cole and Scott were at the club). We've piled the 'forward' area with a lot of mobility, pace etc and everyone understands the parameters and limitations of the budgets but there are only really two things that work here. You either a) bring in a better quality player or b) the players improve through coaching - stacking the squad with imitations of the same player then wondering why it's not working isn't really any sort of solution.

You can't visibly weaken your side (Cole leaving was out of our hands because he wasn't our player, Scott was our choice because we were offered very good money) and not expect it to have some sort of impact. Similarly there needs to be a bit of latitude in terms of allowing that issue to be addressed - especially when there's a body in the building who'd offer a level of quality that's not currently on the pitch - with all due respect to Long, Hylton, Seedorf, Ilic, Manzinga, MacIver and Ndjoli.

Edited by capt_oats