Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 minutes ago, Swello said:

The problem with our vast smorgasbord of forwards is that there is very little in the way of proven options (Long is the closest thing) and there is  clearly a risk that none of them will be what we need. Watt has had a chequered career to say the least but just having someone who has played in the league and knowing what we would get feels like a good thing at the moment. 

Selling Scott for that sort of money was completely the right thing to do IMO - but given that being in 3rd place is a rare thing for us (and has relied to some extent on lots of other teams having a bad season so far), we can't allow the season to fizzle out with the cry of "at least we made a profit" for the want of a striker. The money is undeniably there to do it, so yep - #ANNOUNCETONY

That's kind of it.

Everyone's sympathetic to the rationale behind the Scott sale - it's literally our business model - and Cole wasn't our player in the first place so that was largely taken out of our hands. However you'd hope that now the dust has settled a bit then we'd allow for a bit of latitude in terms of bodies in the building.

Robinson's been banging on for the first half of the season about not having a certain level of quality in the final third (even when we still had Scott and Cole at the club) and there's an option landed in our lap who knows the league, offers some of the qualities we're looking for (if not the goals) and is local.

Dae it.

#ANNOUNCETONY

At this very late stage I would firmly like to jump (two footed) on the #WELCOMETONY bandwagon..

If he proves he is fit I think we will offer him something short-term. Robinson isn't daft and will have seen what we all seen on Saturday and the last few games.

To be honest, it's been as clear as day since Devante left that we need another actual striker in, the stuff about Ndjoli being 'naturally a centre forward' has always stroke me as being utter pish.  We have options but the only proven #9 is Chrissy Long. I said this at the time but Cole leaving and not replacing him properly was and is madness.

Like I said before, I'm not sure if Watt fits the profile of what we need or even Robinson generally wants but at this stage I think we just need some type of other option in. I don't think fitness has ever been Watt's strength and I'm not sure how he will fit in to Robinson's style of play but we need something. Watt could potentially play #9 in Longs absence and potentiall play wide of a three. Regardless of money in for Scott I think there needs to be an admission that him leaving so late in the window and bringing in a winger as replacement hasn't been great.

Fully invested in Watt signing then scoring tomorrow thus crushing all nostalgic memories from their Barca game. Some type of inflamatory celebration towards the south stand would complete a beautiful heel turn that even Vince McMahon himself would be proud of.

28 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Third, chuck in Casagolda.

Anyone follow Declan on instagram btw?

Yes and I did see him post about his "brother" I never looked at the pic to be fair so was it Tony Watt? Or an actual Brother?

3 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I also see Stuart McCall has been appointed Bradford manager. Hadn't even realised he'd left tbh

They sacked him when they were 6th in League 1 in Feb 2018. They've gone through 5 managers since (including David Hopkin). Were relegated last season and sacked Gary Bowyer the other day so he's back for a 3rd time (almost 2 years to the day from them sacking him the last time).

58 minutes ago, Luke92 said:

At this very late stage I would firmly like to jump (two footed) on the #WELCOMETONY bandwagon..

If he proves he is fit I think we will offer him something short-term. Robinson isn't daft and will have seen what we all seen on Saturday and the last few games.

Based on his goalscoring record at all his previous clubs, if he were to start every league game for us between now and the end of the season, he'd score 2.5 goals.

I'm not really on the hype train, I'm afraid.

26 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

They sacked him when they were 6th in League 1 in Feb 2018. They've gone through 5 managers since (including David Hopkin). Were relegated last season and sacked Gary Bowyer the other day so he's back for a 3rd time (almost 2 years to the day from them sacking him the last time).

Has he ever actually been 'successful' at Bradford as manager? I know he's obviously a club legend there from his playing days but he always seems to end up back there managing somehow.

Still, rather them than us.

21 minutes ago, Gallus Numpty said:

Based on his goalscoring record at all his previous clubs, if he were to start every league game for us between now and the end of the season, he'd score 2.5 goals.

I'm not really on the hype train, I'm afraid.

15 minutes ago, Desp said:

He's going to be shite and I, for one, will blame each and everyone of you as the disaster unfolds. 

ORRRRDER ORRRRDER!

giphy.gif?cid=790b76119519e0906e5d747056

38 minutes ago, MJC said:

Has he ever actually been 'successful' at Bradford as manager? I know he's obviously a club legend there from his playing days but he always seems to end up back there managing somehow.

Still, rather them than us.

He took them to the play off finals but lost the final. I'm sure he also took them up to the Premiership in his first stint. 

We have moved on a lot since McCall was with us.