Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I think we've got good money for Scott as I think Hull will be the highest level he'll play at. I hope I'm wrong but I just don't believe he's quite got enough to really stand out.

Also, much as £1.5m makes a nice headline, the fee is obviously less than that as the club has said it's less than O'Donnell (£1.75m) and McFadden (£1.25m). It's hopefully over £1m which I still believe is good money for him.

5 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I think we've got good money for Scott as I think Hull will be the highest level he'll play at. I hope I'm wrong but I just don't believe he's quite got enough to really stand out.

Also, much as £1.5m makes a nice headline, the fee is obviously less than that as the club has said it's less than O'Donnell (£1.75m) and McFadden (£1.25m). It's hopefully over £1m which I still believe is good money for him.

From what I have heard it is £1 million up front with £500,000 Addons for appearances, goals, etc. Additionally this is the most we have recieved up front even including Odonnell and McFadden. Still it's our 3rd biggest transfer fee that we have recieved so it's a fantastic deal for us (with potential for even more if he is sold on).

On 31/01/2020 at 13:23, MP_MFC said:

Sloth being mutually consented.

The friendly ghost posts an emotional farewell post on Instagram...

to the two lads from that barbers! :lol:

What a boy! 

On 01/02/2020 at 11:45, Phillips455 said:

From what I have heard it is £1 million up front with £500,000 Addons for appearances, goals, etc. Additionally this is the most we have recieved up front even including Odonnell and McFadden. Still it's our 3rd biggest transfer fee that we have recieved so it's a fantastic deal for us (with potential for even more if he is sold on).

Sell on clause as well.

Surprised nobody has brought up Robinson’s comments re Turnbull. In so far as he is unlikely to be back before the split. Which if that is to be the case means he will effectively missed the whole season. Depressing thought. 

To be honest I never knew what date he was likely to return as (Celtic fans apart) it has been quite quiet in terms of discussions on this subject. That and the fact we are sitting 3rd probably. 

Hope he does sign an extension. As reported in Steelmen Online apparently agent gets % of transfer fee so in his/her interest for the fee to be more than the £1m Celtic are likely to come back in with with only a year left. And if it is post split is that any time to prove he is the player he was so likely to be with us start of next season. 

Time will tell.....

He’ll be fit when he’s fit I suppose, no point rushing him. 

On a more pressing matter, I still can’t believe we spent the last 20 mins on Saturday launching high balls up to Mugabi. What a state to get ourselves into. 

Losing both Cole and Scott in January was obviously a bit of a nightmare in itself. However it’s also pretty much removed any physical element we had to our attack, to the point we now look so lightweight and worryingly powderpuff. 

Long’s wasted trying to play with his back to goal and offers virtually nothing in the way of an out-ball. Manzinga certainly offers more in terms of a physical presence but plays with all the rawness you’d expect of a guy plucked from the Belgian lower leagues. I’m not sure if there any word on why Ndjoli wasn’t in the squad on Saturday? 

Early days obviously but as things stand, we’ve went from having 4 good options for the front 3 positions to having 2 and a series of question marks.

14 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I wasn't there on Saturday so I thought we were taking the piss.

Did we actually play Mugabi up front?!

Yup.

And not even for like the last few mins either, which while still desperate would have at least been understandable.

He genuinely went up there not long after we conceded when there was still about 20 mins to go. Although to be fair to him he did win a corner at one point, which was more than any of the other forwards managed.  

On 01/02/2020 at 11:45, Phillips455 said:

Back in the mists of time (or the mid-90's), the chat was that Celtic had paid the O'Donnell fee in a wanner, which was a condition that we had put on the sale (a v. rare thing to happen which was why it got mentioned).

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Back in the mists of time (or the mid-90's), the chat was that Celtic had paid the O'Donnell fee in a wanner, which was a condition that we had put on the sale (a v. rare thing to happen which was why it got mentioned).

Aye, very much the story I heard.

Was it not something to do with we needed the cash to pay either the bill from building the South Stand the year before, or for paying for the Cooper stand which was being built around that time?

1 hour ago, Neil86 said:

Any so angry from the livi result they aren't going to St mirren, I have 20 quid to go to a good home.

Given that it isn't that far - if you're desperate to go and don't fancy the home end, I'm sure if you were around outside before kickoff, someone will be trying to sell tickets due to no-shows, etc...

We look so rotten going forward. Offer basically nothing.
Seedorf looks a bust, Mugabi is honking. He has his hands all over the opposition every time too.

Ilic is invisible anaw. If thing don't go Polworth's way he goes hiding tae. Long needs to play off someone who can do the donkey work, Manzinga doesn't appear to offer much.

Tait also looks done more we see of him.

Seeing as Tony apparently isn't being #announced I'd honestly be happy with any 6'3 jobber we can find on the free agents list.  Literally anyone recently released from the 6th tier of English football or even Jacob Blyth 2.0 as long as they could come on in the 70th minute occasionally and win headers when required.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/spieler/vertragslosespieler/statistik/1/plus//galerie/0?ausrichtung=alle&spielerposition_id=14&land_id=alle&altersklasse=&wettbewerb_id=CNAT&seit=alle&yt0=Show

#AnnounceAntoineFortune

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

I think this transfer window could really have derailed our chances of third.

Before Christmas, we seemed to be operating quite nicely with three of Hylton, Scott, Cole and Long playing with the other being the first sub used effectively. We've now replaced Cole and Scott with two wingers who really don't seem to fit the same description at all. 

I think the Scott deal was a fair one at that price, but the timing of it and no like-for-like replacement for either him or Cole is a bit of a sickener. Aarons obviously comes with a bit of pedigree, but it seems to be that beyond that we have Seedorf, Ilic, MacIver and Manzinga who are all of a similar, not brilliant, level and Robinson can't decide which of them is best, let alone us.

I also think we have become too sentimental/generous with Mugabi. I understand why we had to sign him when Dunne and Devine were out long term and Hartley's injury record in the past has been less than brilliant, but I don't understand why we threw a 1.5 year deal at him on the back of a few competent stand-in games. He has looked rather clumsy most times I've seen him and his distribution is pretty poor. No harm to the guy as he clearly gives his all every week, but there was probably a reason he was a free agent in September after his contract at a league two side expired.

I wonder why we got rid of Sloth on the 31st. Had we got rid of him earlier in the month we could maybe have had more budget to play with and not be so last minute either.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Given that it isn't that far - if you're desperate to go and don't fancy the home end, I'm sure if you were around outside before kickoff, someone will be trying to sell tickets due to no-shows, etc...

That's the plan mate, I don't really fancy the idea of the home end, pros - get to see the game, cons - if we are winning the away end will look class and I wont see it, losing and I will need to pretend to clap.

will hang around outside the ground and hopefully see a ticket on the day.

He’ll be fit when he’s fit I suppose, no point rushing him. 
On a more pressing matter, I still can’t believe we spent the last 20 mins on Saturday launching high balls up to Mugabi. What a state to get ourselves into. 
Losing both Cole and Scott in January was obviously a bit of a nightmare in itself. However it’s also pretty much removed any physical element we had to our attack, to the point we now look so lightweight and worryingly powderpuff. 
Long’s wasted trying to play with his back to goal and offers virtually nothing in the way of an out-ball. Manzinga certainly offers more in terms of a physical presence but plays with all the rawness you’d expect of a guy plucked from the Belgian lower leagues. I’m not sure if there any word on why Ndjoli wasn’t in the squad on Saturday? 
Early days obviously but as things stand, we’ve went from having 4 good options for the front 3 positions to having 2 and a series of question marks.
The lad Mazinga caused our defenders more problems when he came on than your entire side did all game...didn't get a sniff at goal but from a Livi point of view he looked a decent out ball for you
I wasn't there on Saturday so I thought we were taking the piss.
Did we actually play Mugabi up front?!
Probably to get him away from defence as he was onto a hiding there against Dykes...was almost as if big Lyndon decided to pick on him and got everything

I think it really depends on whether Aarons is actually any good or not and also whether we're actually open to addressing the issue of the lack of an out ball and physicality up front. The fact that we were chucking a centre back up front to try and give us something against Livi should surely give Robinson pause for thought.

In terms of numbers the squad is 23 available First team plus Semple, Cornelius and MacIver from the Reserves. That's including Turnbull and Dunne.

I know Robinson was giving it the whole "I wasn't planning to bring anyone else in" prior to Scott's transfer and Sloth being mutually consented but with Cole out at the start of the window and Scott and Sloth away at the end that leaves us 1 down from where we were when the window opened with Ndjoli and Aarons in.

Like @YassinMoutaouakil I'm absolutely here for us scouting about and bringing in an option.