Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

I’m pretty gutted about losing James. Think he’s a cracking big player who will only get better.

He is only 19 and hopefully will develop into a £5m+ player down there to get us a nice wee lift down the line as personally I think £1m is poor for him.

I like him and think he’s a decent player on his day but he’s very very frustrating and we’ve got a lot of money for him and arguably signed someone better so it’s cracking business in my eyes.

9 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I'd guess that the £80k of soft loans/internal debt that was still outstanding will be cleared so Scott is the transfer that's officially made Motherwell debt free.

Was about to say this.

The bigger picture is no debt and a decent cash buffer. Very much in the black.

I like him and he has potential, but objectively Scott isn't all that integral to the way we play and hopefully the loan boy fills the gap for the rest of the push for 3rd.

Losing Gallagher or a Polworth would be a bigger dent to our aspirations this season IMO.

Edited by Richie

13 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

I’m pretty gutted about losing James. Think he’s a cracking big player who will only get better.

He is only 19 and hopefully will develop into a £5m+ player down there to get us a nice wee lift down the line as personally I think £1m is poor for him.

So half a million of potential add ons for appearances, goals scored, promotion, international recognition.  If he does well we will do well, if he doesn’t do well then the £1M has been a good bit of business.  Plus a sell on percentage.  Sounds a good deal.

27 minutes ago, Richie said:

Was about to say this.

The bigger picture is no debt and a decent cash buffer. Very much in the black.

I like him and he has potential, but objectively Scott isn't all that integral to the way we play and hopefully the loan boy fills the gap for the rest of the push for 3rd.

Losing Gallagher or a Polworth would be a bigger dent to our aspirations this season IMO.

Aye. I mean I totally get the whole thing that people don't buy season tickets to see a nice tidy balance sheet but there's definitely a bigger picture and ultimately that tidy balance sheet makes it easier for us to operate in the model we have.

I'd have liked it if we'd held on to JS until summer but at the same time I didn't actually think Hull would come back in with an offer worth (potentially) double their original.

I suppose that's what Burrows/the board have to balance. If taking that fee just now makes it easier to extend deals for say, Long, Turnbull, Gallagher, Polworth, Campbell etc, clears the remaining debt (no matter how soft the loan) and generally makes us a bit more robust financially then holding out for an extra £500k-£1m in the summer is a risk and presumably makes all the other stuff that we might be able to do more difficult.

Absolutely fair fucking play to James Scott btw.

Edited by capt_oats

4 hours ago, capt_oats said:

So in summary:

IN:
Mikael Ndjoli (loan - Bournemouth)
Rolando Aarons (loan - Newcastle)

OUT:
Devante Cole (end of loan)
Casper Sloth (contract mutually terminated)
James Scott (transfer Hull City - £1.5m)

Contracts extended:
Trevor Carson - 2022
Ross MacIver - 2021

So we're up by our 3rd highest fee received (behind O'Donnell and McFadden) and have retained Carson, Gallagher, Polworth, Donnelly, Campbell, Turnbull under contract until summer at least.

I suppose the value of moving big JS on is what we're actually able to do with that cash in terms of "protecting our assets" and what not.

I'd guess that the £80k of soft loans/internal debt that was still outstanding will be cleared so Scott is the transfer that's officially made Motherwell debt free.

Mind Grimshaw extended his contract until 2022 as well. All part of the plan you see. Sell a 19 year old horse riding Celtic-angerer and restore #LG4 to his rightful place on the right wing. Now we just need to find the tape to bind Tait’s knees back together and we’re back in business boys. 

Still have plenty of time to #ANNOUNCETONY too.

4 hours ago, CSmith said:

Mind Grimshaw extended his contract until 2022 as well. All part of the plan you see. Sell a 19 year old horse riding Celtic-angerer and restore #LG4 to his rightful place on the right wing. Now we just need to find the tape to bind Tait’s knees back together and we’re back in business boys. 

Still have plenty of time to #ANNOUNCETONY too.

Right enough. It honestly felt like that happened last year rather than a fortnight ago.

Saw this bit of spiel from Robinson in the Aarons PR:

“His arrival will also allow us to move Mikael Ndjoli into his more natural position as a central striker, instead of playing in wide positions.”

That leaves us looking like this:

1804112475_ScreenShot2020-02-01at00_33_30.png.0aa648a1b520019b457b80c68327920c.png

Lads, I don't think #TONY is going to happen. I'm still extremely invested in the bit though.

On Aarons, as @Ron Aldo says you've got fans of his previous clubs (inc. Newcastle & Sheffield Wednesday) being positive about him - which is encouraging. He's also got almost 100k followers on Twitter dot com and 75k+ on IG...

There's actually quite a good long(-ish) read with him in The Guardian from last year here if (like me) you're not familiar with his work.

Edited by capt_oats

Up front it feels like we've got a huge pile of players that can play in any of the three positions - it all just feels a bit random at the moment compared to the rest of the team. Getting a consistent first choice 3 (which i'd assume would be Long, Hylton and Aarons to begin with), let them play together as much as possible and resist the urge to tinker too much would be a good thing I think.

While we're talking about forwards, the club Tweeted the other day wishing Manzinga a happy 25th birthday. I genuinely didn't realise he was as old as that. Up until now I thought he was similar to Seedorf in that he was 20/21 and we'd just picked him up from someone else's youth system.

Given his age (not that 25 is old!) you'd expect that Manzinga would be looking to push his career on and make some form of impact. I think he's definitely got something about him and wouldn't mind giving him a shot if Long is likely to be out.

13 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

While we're talking about forwards, the club Tweeted the other day wishing Manzinga a happy 25th birthday. I genuinely didn't realise he was as old as that. Up until now I thought he was similar to Seedorf in that he was 20/21 and we'd just picked him up from someone else's youth system.

Given his age (not that 25 is old!) you'd expect that Manzinga would be looking to push his career on and make some form of impact. I think he's definitely got something about him and wouldn't mind giving him a shot if Long is likely to be out.

Club took a punt on him as he’s been dogged with injuries over past few seasons (same as Charles Dunn)

You never know it might pay dividends ………definitely something about him and he came through PSG youth academy 

Now the dust has settled on the (unexpected) Deadline Day big cash prize event, I had posted a variation of this around the time of The Magnificent David Turnbull Transfer Saga in the summer that's sort of worth updating.

Since Hutchison took over (30th Jan 2015) and in turn we became fan-owned we've seen these reported fees (a pinch of salt should obvs be taken):

19/20 - James Scott (Hull City) - £1.5m - Transfer
19/20 - Reece McAlear (Norwich City) - £250k - Transfer
19/20 - Jake Hastie (Rangers) £300k - Development Compensation
19/20 - Stuart McKinstry (Leeds United) - £400k* - Transfer
18/19 - Ryan Bowman (Exeter City) - £30k - Transfer
18/19 - Cedric Kipré (Wigan) - c.£1m - Transfer
17/18 - Louis Moult (Preston North End) - £500k - Transfer 
17/18 - Ben Heneghan (Sheffield United) - £350k-ish - Transfer
16/17 - Marvin Johnson (Oxford United) - £750k-ish - Transfer
16/17 - Stephen Pearson (Atletico Kolkata) - £100k - Transfer 
16/17 - Ben Hall (Brighton) - £210k - Development Compensation
14/15 - Lee Erwin (Leeds United) - £500k - Development Compensation

Total = £5.89m

That obviously omits anything that may be due from Chris Cadden shafting us and I've also seen mention of Kyle Semple to Rangers for about £50k but he was still listed as a Motherwell player in the last Scotland u16s squad so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

During McCall's entire tenure (30 December 2010 - 2nd November 2014) these players left:

10/11 - Mark Reynolds (Sheffield Wednesday) - £100k
11/12 - John Sutton (Hearts) - free 
12/13 - Steve Jennings (Coventry City) - free
12/13 - Jamie Murphy (Sheffield United) - £100k 
12/13 - Nicky Law (Rangers) - free 
13/14 - Darren Randolph (Birminham) - free 
13/14 - Chris Humphrey (Preston North End) - free 
13/14 - Henrik Ojamaa - (Legia Warsaw) - £300k
13/14 - Michael Higdon - (NEC Nijmegen) - free
13/14 - Tom Hateley - (Tranmere Rovers) - free
14/15 - Shaun Hutchinson (Fulham) - free
14/15 - Henri Anier (Erzgebirge Aue) - £300k

Total: £800k.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Now the dust has settled on the (unexpected) Deadline Day big cash prize event, I had posted a variation of this around the time of The Magnificent David Turnbull Transfer Saga in the summer that's sort of worth updating.

Since Hutchison took over (30th Jan 2015) and in turn we became fan-owned we've seen these reported fees (a pinch of salt should obvs be taken):

19/20 - James Scott (Hull City) - £1.5m - Transfer
19/20 - Reece McAlear (Norwich City) - £250k - Transfer
19/20 - Jake Hastie (Rangers) £300k - Development Compensation
19/20 - Stuart McKinstry (Leeds United) - £400k* - Transfer
18/19 - Ryan Bowman (Exeter City) - £30k - Transfer
18/19 - Cedric Kipré (Wigan) - c.£1m - Transfer
17/18 - Louis Moult (Preston North End) - £500k - Transfer 
17/18 - Ben Heneghan (Sheffield United) - £350k-ish - Transfer
16/17 - Marvin Johnson (Oxford United) - £750k-ish - Transfer
16/17 - Stephen Pearson (Atletico Kolkata) - £100k - Transfer 
16/17 - Ben Hall (Brighton) - £210k - Development Compensation
14/15 - Lee Erwin (Leeds United) - £500k - Development Compensation

= £5.89m

That obviously omits anything that may be due from Chris Cadden shafting us and I've also seen mention of Kyle Semple to Rangers for about £50k but he was still listed as a Motherwell player in the last Scotland u16s squad so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

During McCall's entire tenure (30 December 2010 - 2nd November 2014) these players left:

10/11 - Mark Reynolds (Sheffield Wednesday) - £100k
11/12 - John Sutton (Hearts) - free 
12/13 - Steve Jennings (Coventry City) - free
12/13 - Jamie Murphy (Sheffield United) - £100k 
12/13 - Nicky Law (Rangers) - free 
13/14 - Darren Randolph (Birminham) - free 
13/14 - Chris Humphrey (Preston North End) - free 
13/14 - Henrik Ojamaa - (Legia Warsaw) - £300k
13/14 - Michael Higdon - (NEC Nijmegen) - free
13/14 - Tom Hateley - (Tranmere Rovers) - free
14/15 - Shaun Hutchinson (Fulham) - free
14/15 - Henri Anier (Erzgebirge Aue) - £300k

Total: £800k.

Jeezo, think we all realised that was the case but didn't realise the difference was that stark. Plus the fact that 75% of those fees during McCall's era were the two Estonians including £300k for Anier which still baffles me a little. Strikes me that it's even as high as £800k because a club was willing to throw money at that deal for some reason. Right now, I feel more that we earn every penny from a lot of our transfer deals by having a valuation and holding firm on it.

We really have stepped up our game in the transfer department, we can no longer be bullied and that's  terrific.

Aarons looks like a good signing from what I've seen, look forward to seeing how he does. I hope this means we never see Seedorf grace the park again but we'll see on that one.

I'm genuinely a bit gutted to be losing Scott even for that transfer fee which I think is about right. I think it'll impact us more than some think. He's  a different player to the other wide men we have and IMO has been our most effective out ball recently. I think we might struggle a bit without that variety of out ball. Fair play to the lad, by all accounts he's pretty sound and hope the move goes well for him. He's got great physical attributes and is excellent with the ball at his feet. Would have loved to keep him until summer or maybe another year and a half but when that money is offered we can't really refuse it.

Edited by Mr Hahn

1 hour ago, Mr Hahn said:

Aarons looks like a good signing from what I've seen, look forward to seeing how he does. I hope this means we never see Seedorf grace the park again but we'll see on that one.

I'm genuinely a bit gutted to be losing Scott even for that transfer fee which I think is about right. I think it'll impact us more than some think. He's  a different player to the other wide men we have and IMO has been our most effective out ball recently. I think we might struggle a bit without that variety of out ball. Fair play to the lad, by all accounts he's pretty sound and hope the move goes well for him. He's got great physical attributes and is excellent with the ball at his feet. Would have loved to keep him until summer or maybe another year and a half but when that money is offered we can't really refuse it.

Strongly agree on that - especially off the back of him retiring the Hibs right back last week.

I totally appreciate it's a fairly shite situation with the timing. We can have a deep list of possible targets but when you've got 24 hours to complete then circumstances mean you're going to be scrambling a bit no matter how prepared you are so there's an element of just doing the best you can. We saw what happened last time when Johnson forced his move and we couldn't get Frear "over the line".

If there weren't any 6ft 2 forwards that would have been like-for-like available then it really does fall into a take what you can get situation. And in fairness on the face of things Aarons seems a decent option - I say that having seen absolutely f**k all of him though.

We've replaced a wide player with an actual winger but as you say if our front 3 is (as I assume it will be) Hylton, Long and Aarons then that's 5ft 10, 5ft 11 and 5ft 9 respectively. We're definitely not in the Thunderdome any more.

Edited by capt_oats