Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

12 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Rough with the smooth innit. 

It's still hard to tell quite what Scott is going to be, but I'd much rather find out with us than some other jobbers who are about to get £16 million quid and offer us their pocket change. 

Pretty much this for me. I think there's a great deal of potential there with Scott, it's really up to him to make the most of that.

Thinking back to the start of the season when I thought he'd be better on loan at Alloa, he's come a long way already. 

Rough with the smooth innit. 
It's still hard to tell quite what Scott is going to be, but I'd much rather find out with us than some other jobbers who are about to get £16 million quid and offer us their pocket change.

Pretty much.

There's a day left of the window, with Cole having left Scott looks like he's actually a key player for the next 6 months which puts a premium on him. We're not in a rush to sell him and we generally seem set up to sort out our business in the summer window these days and even then he'll still have 2 years of his deal to run so...aye, let's do that.

Also, we seem far more on it in terms of player trading than we were in when Reynolds was sold which is clearly a good thing.

Hull are trying to punt a guy for £20 million who (according to Wikipedia) has made 139 appearances in his entire career. Of those 139 appearances, 9 of them have been in the top flight where he provided exactly 0 goals.

Hull have also bid £750k for one of the most promising young players in Scotland who still has 2.5 years left on his deal.

I hope whoever answered the phone just laughed and hung up. I realise we're never going to command the massive fees which every English team seems to be throwing about these days but, at the same time, why should we let teams from down south blatantly take the piss with offers for Scottish based players?

20 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Hull are trying to punt a guy for £20 million who (according to Wikipedia) has made 139 appearances in his entire career. Of those 139 appearances, 9 of them have been in the top flight where he provided exactly 0 goals.

Hull have also bid £750k for one of the most promising young players in Scotland who still has 2.5 years left on his deal.

I hope whoever answered the phone just laughed and hung up. I realise we're never going to command the massive fees which every English team seems to be throwing about these days but, at the same time, why should we let teams from down south blatantly take the piss with offers for Scottish based players?

Tbf Jarrod Bowen is absolutely dynamite but same applies we should be looking for anything less than 1.5 million + add ons and a loan back til the end of the season if we do accept an offer today.

750k will be nowhere near our valuation. With his potential, age and natural attributes I suspect it would be closer to 2m but I genuinely think there would be a reluntance to sell regardless this late in the window.

I say this a lot about players with potential who are with us but Scott is a prime example. He needs to develop naturally with us, another couple of years would do him the world of good. He is only 19 after all. I'm a big fan of Scott but he at the moment he is far too lightweight for the EFL and it really wouldn't suit him. You tend to get a wee bit less of 6ft 5 centre halfs here so I think that works to his advantage.

A couple of years of development and learning how to use his physical attributes to his advantage is something that could turn Scott into a 3/4m player. In terms of the prototype modern football player he ticks the majority of boxes

I'm loathed to ever say, "but that player went for that amount so we should get this" , HOWEVER...

If the reports are true that Dundee Utd were looking for £3m (SHREE MILLION SQUID!) for Lawrence Shankland (who's achieved the square root of f**k all outside of the Scottish Championship - I include his international goal against San fucking Marino In that) then receiving a bid of £750k for a lad like Scott is the ultimate piss take.

It's the last day of the window, we don't need to sell and it's unlikely we'd get a replacement in.  Unless someone comes in with absolute funny money (i.e £3m) then I'm very much on board with the previous suggestion of answering the phone, laughing down it and promptly hanging up. 

Hull is an absolute shithole annol. 

15 minutes ago, Desp said:

receiving a bid of £750k for a lad like Scott is the ultimate piss take.

It's the last day of the window, we don't need to sell and it's unlikely we'd get a replacement in.  Unless someone comes in with absolute funny money (i.e £3m) then I'm very much on board with the previous suggestion of answering the phone, laughing down it and promptly hanging up. 

Entirely agree with this. English clubs seem to still be of the opinion that we'll be delighted to receive their crumbs.

We're not being unreasonable here, if you want him, really genuinely want him and know exactly what he is and what he could be, pay us the money he's worth or keep getting laughed at by Burrows. 

#ANNOUNCELAUGHTER

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

Entirely agree with this. English clubs seem to still be of the opinion that we'll be delighted to receive their crumbs.

To be fair, they've every right to keep offering that sort of money as long as clubs up here have a history of accepting it. Budgets, prize money, TV money, operating costs, etc. are always going to differ between countries too, so market forces also dictate to some extent that the same player will be worth different amounts to different clubs in different countries.

Now that the tide seems to be turning though, hopefully we can expect more realistic offers in future.

Scott’s away from what I’ve been told 1.7 million don’t know if that includes add ons... a lot of money that we can’t reject. Hopefully we can find someone to replace him quickly.
I had heard that Hull had come in again but wasn't expecting it to be that much. If so, I don't think we can knock it back.

28 minutes ago, supermarv said:

Scott’s away from what I’ve been told 1.7 million don’t know if that includes add ons... a lot of money that we can’t reject. Hopefully we can find someone to replace him quickly.

If that is true I will shed a tear or two. I get we cannot afford to turn a certain level of money but it had better be £1.5m up front at least with decent add ons. 

My next comment would simply be - get someone in ASAP. We needed a forward before this so cmon tae f* k. 

34 minutes ago, supermarv said:

If that's in any way true - I don't think that's a refusable amount of money for us regardless of our league position and the fact it's the end of the window.

15 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I absolutely love Jimmy Scott but I've got a feeling we might look back on knocking back £750k for him in a similar light to the turning down a million from Rangers for Mark Reynolds stories.

Always good when my predictions are immediately proven wrong in less than 24 hours.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil