Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

12 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Finishes 2-1 for the Reserves against Dundee. Manzinga missed a pen, Dundee went 1 up. Seems Hylton changed the game a bit when he came on.

Took a late goal to win it.

Further proof, if any was needed, that we own Dundee Football Club.

I've personally always been in the 'Tony Watt seems like a wee fanny' camp, on that basis I'd give him a massive swerve.

In all seriousness, I think his general play has always been quite decent but his his goal record is pretty meh. The amount of clubs he has been to also isn't the best.

My mate is a St Johnstone fan and was far from devastated when he left, sounds like there is maybe mixed opinion on that though.

Chances are he will chase the $$$ abroad anyway, next stop the Persian Gulf League

I think the thing with Watt is that it depends what you're looking for. Obviously goals are nice and everything so the first thing folk do is fire up his Wikipedia and see he scored 1 goal in 17 for Hearts or whatever and baulk.

Spoiler

1933272536_ScreenShot2020-01-27at16_23_25.png.0ed3794c2d8f82bcdb9e6ac9bfcf98f8.png

However seeing as we seem to be sharing our goals around the team at the moment and given we're all intellectuals on this forum it doesn't take a lot of imagination to see how he could fit into our front 3.

Spoiler

#ANNOUNCETONY

Edited by capt_oats

47 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I think he's pretty average to be honest but he's a sound bloke on Twitter and we need bodies.

I agree but, at the same time, I think he would be a better option as back-up to Long than anyone else we currently have on the books.

2 hours ago, Luke92 said:

My mate is a St Johnstone fan and was far from devastated when he left, sounds like there is maybe mixed opinion on that though.

A lot of our fans turned on him when it came out that he dared to reject our contract offer, and theres a rumour he became disruptive, got dropped and sent away from the club. I'm sure TW confirmed he only dropped him as it was clear he was away and he wanted to evaluate the other strikers though.

Hes a very good forward, but not a great striker, if that makes sense. He missed a lot of simple chances for us, his goals though were quality finishes, but his all round play is right up there with strikers I've seen play for us in the past decade.

I wouldnt enjoy him playing against us.

I see that’s Danny Johnson away back down south to Leyton Orient.

Did we have any sell on? I mean, it’s likely to be a small % of virtually f-all (if anything) but even a few grand could be used to top up a short term offer to a new forward... Hiya Tony [emoji112]

1 hour ago, dezz said:

Did we have any sell on? I mean, it’s likely to be a small % of virtually f-all (if anything) but even a few grand could be used to top up a short term offer to a new forward... Hiya Tony emoji112.png

From reading the respective announcements from Dundee and Orient it looks like Dundee have just freed him and let him sign with another club. Which, in fairness, is pretty much what it seems we did.

Our announcement didn't have any of the usual language you get re: sell on clauses eg: McKinstry to Leeds "Motherwell receive a guaranteed fee with the opportunity to earn further, should he progress and/or Leeds sell him in the future."

No mention of fee, undisclosed or otherwise with Johnson.

He had 18 months on his deal at Dens and he's signed an 18 month deal with Orient, I'd guess they've just taken over his contract and maybe given him a wage bump to make it worth his while.

Edited by capt_oats

Aye they punted Danny Johnson I reckon rather than sold him.

As for the tickets for St Mirren, I see folk upset that ST and WS folk get first dibs. I can't really get why that is a bad thing to be honest.

Did we have any sell on? I mean, it’s likely to be a small % of virtually f-all (if anything) but even a few grand could be used to top up a short term offer to a new forward... Hiya Tony [emoji112]

I'm slightly surprised at that as I thought he looked alright when he came on as a sub against us. Certainly better than anyone else they had up front but that's not saying much.

5 minutes ago, AndyRoss said:

I'm reading  some interesting views on Twitter about Danny Johnson tonight, you'd have though we'd let a superstar striker slip through our hands. 

Tbf he scores goals wherever he goes, a proper fox in the box.

His scoring record actually reads better than I thought it would, but not convinced he's anywhere near as good as some suggested he was in the summer and even less so now after half a season at Dundee where he's not made much of an impression beyond a good start.