Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

43 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I fucking despised him for two thirds of his time here... but is it safe to say we're looking for a. Curtis Main type up front?

I mean clearly I would say this but IMO less a Main type who was physical but ultimately just spent the game giving away fouls like an absolute dick and more like someone Nadir who was physical but could pull a ball, play with his back to goal and link with the midfield. Beautiful b*****d that he was.

When you watch Nadir's involvement in this sort of patter it's definitely not the sort of option that we really have with any of the forwards at the moment. Even Scott looks far more comfortable facing goal despite having the height and build.

giphy.gif

Spoiler

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats

Looking at next four fixtures, Abderdeen, Hibs, celtic, Livi, worst case scenario we lose all 4, and hibs/livi win all four then we still stay level on points with either of them,  After that we move into 5 games against Hamilton, Ross County St mirren St Johnstone and Hearts, whereas Aberdeen have Kilmarnock Hibs and Celtic in the same set of five fixtures.

11 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I think Scott could probably turn into that sort of option one day, but aye it's probably a role you can't really excel at until you've got about 100 games under your belt.

Definitely.

That's pretty much what Robinson's getting at when he's talking about Scott having to learn how to "use his body". By all accounts it's something that Scott's aware of in so much as he's saying he's more comfortable being out wide at the moment without having to be concerned about "contact" from centre backs. Which is absolutely fine - he's still only 19.

He's got a brilliant first touch and he's clearly a technical player but along with the physical side of things there's a lot to be said for doing the simple things well in that role as a central striker. Take a touch, hold it up and/or lay it off - if there's a straightforward pass on do that rather than trying to play the shroo ball.

At the moment - and this is true of most of our forwards at the moment, not just Scott - you're seeing opportunities breaking down and consequently us being countered by us taking the wrong option in the final third. Part of that is why I was quite big on the idea of us getting Murphy in for a bit ie: someone who's got a bit more experience playing as a forward. 

Having said that, in a positive sense the difference in Hylton since he's clearly received specific instruction (get to the byline and cut the ball back) is genuinely noticeable. Robinson spoke about it re: the build up to Campbell's goal against St. Mirren and you also saw it with Long's goal against Hearts at FP.

So that's good.

Edited by capt_oats

So is the Donnelly to Celtic chat a load of bollox ? 
I think so but you never know.

What I do know is that having recently paid £2m for a midfielder I would expect Celtic to make an offer of £102,345 for one of our star midfielders. Cos it is little old Motherwell. 

Leigh Griffiths + £3m or jog on - 

Edited by welldaft

29 minutes ago, welldaft said:

What I do know is that having recently paid £2m for a midfielder I would expect Celtic to make an offer of £102,345 for one of our star midfielders. Cos it is little old Motherwell. 

Personally I think it’s a load of rubbish but if they are actually interested I’d say we should be looking at offers of above 1million+ add ons.

14 minutes ago, welldaft said:

For all Donnelly has improved he is miles away from Old Firm level. The level of both of their bench/reserves is very strong nowadays.

On the striker front, as a few others have mentioned it is pretty mental that we aren't looking to properly replace Devante Cole with a similar type of player. I'm pretty surprised about Robinsons comments. Ndjoli is a totally different type of player. Regardless if we can play 'up front' as well as the wings it doesn't seem like a very good solution.

I don't really agree with us needing a big lump type striker, Devante wasn't just a phyiscal guy you could knock the ball up to. He could play as well and was pretty dynamic.

I was happy with the Ndjoli signing as another wide option but that was with the presumption that we would be replacing Cole as well.The only explanation I have is Robinson likes what he sees of Mazinga and has faith that he is going to be a vialble option to replace Long from the bench in some matches. Fair enough if thats the case, in Robbo we trust and all that!

BTW, I know its bants and that but just to confirm Nadir was pretty meh for the majority of time he was with us. He is a very talented boy and some of his play at times was nice but lets not revise history because folk are actually starting to believe he was the second coming

Just now, Londonwell said:

I thought Devante Cole was quite shite tbh, no great loss at all. 

When I found out he was leaving it was just a bit of a *shrug* moment. 

As for the Donnelly chat, I can't see it myself. I think he's improved massively this season but I don't think he's improved to that degree. That being said if they want to chuck over a million at us then I'm happy to listen. 

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

If #ITKMarv doesn't know about, it's not happening.

Link

Robinson pretty much dismissing the Donnelly rumour as nonsense as expected. We’re also talking about pre-contracts for next season already apparently. 

On Cole, I was happy when we signed him but was a bit underwhelmed with some of his performances. However, he did have his moments/good games and I’d say we look weaker for his departure.

Edited by Casagolda