Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Goalkeeping situation getting a lot of focus again. Robinson has been quoted in the press conference today as saying Carson will be number one next season.

Personally would stick with Gillespie for now though. Would be a massive call for Robinson to replace a goalkeeper who has arguably been in the top two or three in the league this season, with a guy who has been out long term with a life changing injury.

All hypothetical, but you put Carson in and he makes a key error, do you then turn to Gillespie who you have replaced despite having done nothing wrong other than not signing an extended deal?

Feel there’s more to lose than to gain with changing the keeper at this moment in time.

2 minutes ago, AndyRoss said:

Goalkeeping situation getting a lot of focus again. Robinson has been quoted in the press conference today as saying Carson will be number one next season.

Personally would stick with Gillespie for now though. Would be a massive call for Robinson to replace a goalkeeper who has arguably been in the top two or three in the league this season, with a guy who has been out long term with a life changing injury.

All hypothetical, but you put Carson in and he makes a key error, do you then turn to Gillespie who you have replaced despite having done nothing wrong other than not signing an extended deal?

Feel there’s more to lose than to gain with changing the keeper at this moment in time.

Think it was mentioned at the same time that Gillespie has the gloves for now, “but at some point,” Carson will be reintroduced for next season’s preparations. Sounds to me like Gillespie will be first pick until the split unless he massively drops form or gets injured. Robinson also reiterated that they are constantly monitoring Ferguson and will assess his contract at the end of the season. 

Robinson also acknowledging Sloth exists. Which is new.

The quotes around the goalkeeping situation sound like it's something that's going to be a transition rather than just chucking Carson straight in. I'd be surprised if we binned off Gillespie straight away just because Carson's signed the deal but Robinson's right to say that he'll need to look at things with an eye on Carson being #1 for next season.

I suppose it depends on what Gillespie's plans are as well and if he's actually planning on sticking around until the end of the season.

In fairness I'd have thought (hoped) the transition and how it was going to be handled is something that would have been discussed with Carson when he was signing the extension.

I see that's Cadden landed in Ohio now. Who knows he might actually play a game for them. Also, given there was some good chat about him the other day that's Scott McDonald joined Tam Aldred at Brisbane Roar.

Edited by capt_oats

39 minutes ago, AndyRoss said:

100% agree with this.

To me, alot of the shouts to drop Gillespie immediatedly have been a bit flippant.

I've always thought Carson was the better keeper and have at times have been critical of Gillespie's distrubution. With that being said I don't think we should be dropping our keeper half way through the season solely based on a contractual situation.

Gillespie has for the most part been one of the better keepers in the league and we are currently sitting in 3rd spot.  I'm all for bringing in Carson if Gillespie makes some mistakes but I don't think you should drop the guy just because he's not going to be here next season.

'Building for the future' sounds like a great argument and that but Carson hasn't played in well over a year. I would rather not distrupt things between the defence and goalkeeper at this stage in the season. I'm all for a phased return at some point but we need to do this sensibly. We have a chance of getting europe this season for the first time in a while, whilst I am all for the future I'd like us to be careful about how we handle things in the short-term.

Edited by Luke92

17 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Giving Carson the cup game(s) seems like a sensible middle ground.

The language from Robinson suggests it's not something that's imminent anyway:

"Mark has been in excellent form. I pick the best team to win a football match. That is simply it, there are no favourites, I have to pick the team that I think is going to win the match and Mark is in control of the number-one jersey.

Trevor is a top, top goalkeeper and there will be a stage in the season where I have to make sure he is ready to go for next season, because Trevor will be our number-one goalkeeper for next season, I have no doubt about that.

I have to manage that one, manage the expectations but also be fair, if someone is playing extremely well, they don’t deserve to lose their place.

Mark hasn’t signed at this stage. Players have got the right to sign whenever they want so Mark has done nothing wrong.

His form has been terrific and he has kept a top goalkeeper like Trevor out. We will play it by ear and see what happens. It’s ongoing."

Link

Worst XI of the Decade was great fun.

GK - Craig Samson

RB - Fraser Kerr
CB - Mark O’Brien
CB - Zak Jules
LB - Tony Straker

RM - Deimantas Petravicius
CM - Jake Taylor
LM - Nathan Thomas

AMC - Ross McCormack

FWD - Jacob Blyth
FWD - Theo Robinson

One criticism. Fraser Kerr should be at right wing.

There's an article on the BBC website on James McFadden interview with David Turnbull that will be on TV as part of the Dundee cup game. He's talking about the transfer speculation in the summer and his recovery from the operation. Obviously the BBC headline is it's about his Celtic transfer saga (even although it's not).

On 17/01/2020 at 04:05, Alert Mongoose said:

Really should be looking at a points deduction here. No place for this in Scottish football. 

Na, that's a bit harsh. They should just be papped out the Scottish Cup and whoever they're supposed to be playing should get a bye. 

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:

There's an article on the BBC website on James McFadden interview that will be on TV as part of the Dundee cup game. He's talking about the transfer speculation in the summer and his recovery from the operation. Obviously the BBC headline is it's about his Celtic transfer saga (even although it's not).

Turnbull surely

For reasons unbeknownst even to me I've spent the wee hours of Saturday morning making 3 different team of the decades based on nationality.

Scotland (strong defense and midfield, lacks a proper number 9 and are lumbered with Lee Hollis by default) 

GK: Hollis
RB: Tait
CB: Gallagher
CB: McManus 
LB: Hammell  
CM: Lasley 
CM:Campbell
CM: Pearson 
CAM: Turnbull
ST:Murphy 
ST: Erwin

UK and Ireland (fullbacks are the only weakness, more than balanced out by attacking firepower)

GK:Randolph
RB: Grimshaw 
CB: Aldred 
CB:Hutchinson 
LB: Dunne
RM:Ainsworth
CM:Law
CM:Jennings 
LM:Johnson
ST:Moult
ST: Higdon

Rest of the world(a surprisingly decent team imo, it physically pained me to exclude Casagolda, Straker and Ciftci)

GK- Nielsen
RB- Hateley
CB- Kipre
CB- Mugabi
LB- Angol
RM- Humphrey
CM- Gorrin
CM - Bigirimana
LM- Ojamaa
ST- Mcdonald
ST- Anier

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

9 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

It's 7am and I'm making hypothetical Soccer Aid style Motherwell XIs. I think spelling is the least of my worries.

It's 7am on P&B, you should expect to be called out for being an Americanised w****r.

Anyway, as you were.

Edited by tree house tam