Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I think it works out at 9/11 of the team I put in.
I had Kipré in for Tait, almost 90% of which was down to listening to [mention=19823]thisGRAEME[/mention] and [mention=12133]AndyRoss[/mention] on the Terrace Patreon while I was filling out the form.
Tbh, Tait's the correct choice given the competition for that spot amounts to Hateley (p***k and his old man doubly so), Based Craig Reid, Josh Law, Cadden and Grimshaw. It's amusing that Tait's probably played 50% of his games for Motherwell on the left but he carries himself pretty well, has played almost 140 games so far and has captained the side on a regular basis.
Like [mention=44962]Gianfranco[/mention] Turnbull was first name on my team sheet; 19 years old and carried a team for pretty much an entire season, the only CM to get into double figures that I've seen in my time supporting Motherwell and finished top scorer. First FW YPOTY since McFadden and but for a stray bit of cartilage would have been our record sale by a distance. Get him fucking in there.
I totally get the Nicky Law shout but again fucking off to sign for a new club in the seaside leagues and currently jobbing around in EFL League 2 kind of pales in comparison to some of the other options.
The legacy stuff is actually quite interesting. Randolph has gone on to be an EPL level goalkeeper, Hutchinson a good Championship level CB, Murphy ended up in the EPL with Brighton...others like Craigan, Hammell and Lasley are legit club icons.
I also had Ainsworth in for Humphrey. That highlights reel man. Any excuse tbh...

Half of Ainsworth's highlights reel could also be used as John Sutton's as well. Some great stuff on that although it doesn't include the pinnacle of his time with us.

It's an interesting read checking out everyone's opinions.  We've been lucky to have had some proper players over the last 10 years. 

If you take emotion out of it, and look purely on their ability and their contribution to Motherwell, Tom Hateley and Nicky Law should absolutely be in that team.  I mean, Richard Tait is a beautiful b*****d, hard as nails and his burd is tidy as, but you cannot seriously tell me he's a better player than Hateley.  Not having that. 

Also, Keith Lasley was an average Scottish top flight midfielder.  No more, no less.  He wasn't in the top 25 players we've had this decade.  I love the man to bits though.

I completely understand the doubt over Turnbull's inclusion but I picked him in my side.  Central midfield wasn't the area where we were overly blessed in the decade, and Turnbull chipped in with 15 goals from about 35 games while absolutely running the show.  That's phenomenal numbers, however, I wouldn't argue with anyone who says Allan Campbell is more entitled to inclusion.

Harsh on BJS up top, but you cannot dispute Higdon as the no.1 striker of the decade.  Also, following on from @crazylegsjoe's point, if you're treating this an actual team, then Sutton & Higdon wouldn't really work as a front two.  Moult would then get the nod, just ahead of Ojamaa. 

Finally, and again from another of Joe's points, Scott McDonald is, for me, undoubtedly our most important player of the 21st Century.  He dragged us away from relegation three times across two spells (you could argue two of these were done almost single handed), banked us over £600k when we needed it, as well as mentoring the likes of Erwin and Moult (who in turn brought in circa £1m in transfer/development fees).  A wee b*****d?  100%, but some bloody player. 

Ainsworth's first two seasons were great and good. He was then a useless b*****d until he pulled a highlight reel effort out of nowhere for the next two years.

Should probably have been in there based on his first two but I loved the Humph and his inclusion is fine with me. Not sure I am having he was a sub all too often though. First season aye. He played a lot of minutes in the next three no bother.

The more I think about it the more Tam Hateley should defo have been in the team. Hammell is a no brainier. Hutchinson defo worth a place. The other centre half is where I struggle. Is there another decent one we had in there for more than 18 months this decade?

2 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Ainsworth's first two seasons were great and good. He was then a useless b*****d until he pulled a highlight reel effort out of nowhere for the next two years.

Should probably have been in there based on his first two but I loved the Humph and his inclusion is fine with me. Not sure I am having he was a sub all too often though. First season aye. He played a lot of minutes in the next three no bother.

The more I think about it the more Tam Hateley should defo have been in the team. Hammell is a no brainier. Hutchinson defo worth a place. The other centre half is where I struggle. Is there another decent one we had in there for more than 18 months this decade?

Tom Aldred is unfortunate to miss out imo. Kipré for being a cult hero I suppose. 

McManus was good for a couple of seasons then looked like he was chasing shadows round Ainslie Park in the cup.

24 minutes ago, Dosser-fae-the-shire said:

Rumours we are signing Leigh Griffiths on loan. Doubt it but would be delighted with that one.

Seen this mentioned a few times and I'd love it to be true. Cannot see it at all though.

11 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Probably not, which is why Craigan got in for his first couple of years for the decade.

I'd certainly have Craigan ahead of McManus, and probably just ahead of Aldred.  Kipre was a good player, but he was raw, inexperienced and will go down as a Motherwell cult hero, as opposed to a Motherwell great. 

Just now, Desp said:

Probably not, which is why Craigan got in for his first couple of years for the decade.

I'd certainly have Craigan ahead of McManus, and probably just ahead of Aldred.  Kipre was a good player, but he was raw, inexperienced and will go down as a Motherwell cult hero, as opposed to a Motherwell great. 

Kipré is definitely making my matchday squad here. Not as a starter but as a back up for when I need someone to come on and nutmeg strikers.

1 minute ago, Neil86 said:

Rangers supporting friend has just informed me that there is actually a thread on follow follow about it.

"Ronseal according to all the jungles in work"

whatever that means.

I don't get that, "Ronseal" does what it says on the tin. I have heard that patter used but I don't get it in this context. Also get the thread up someone. I love a laugh at them.

41 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

His second last season he was on the bench from November to March. He had a drop off in form before we started using Daley, Law and Murphy on the right with him on the bench. When he came back into the team in March he was class, then carried that form into his final season.

45 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Seen this mentioned a few times and I'd love it to be true. Cannot see it at all though.

On the whole this would be fantastic were it true. But I very much doubt it. 

It would make sense given he needs to get his career back on track and languishing in Celtic reserves will not do that. That plus if he hit the ground running he may have an outside chance of a Scotland recall. So him staying at Celtic is not doing him any favours. 

All that said he comes with huge baggage. Application can be questionable as is his off field antics including gambling etc. I hope he has addressed these but whether he has or not ? 

Edited by welldaft

I just can't see the Griffiths thing - but if there was any chance, I'd feel the same as I did about Ciftci and McCormack - totally worth a punt and all that. I'd always be in favour of getting someone in that has a level of ability that we couldn't afford normally - and what we can afford these days isn't much.

1 hour ago, Desp said:

Finally, and again from another of Joe's points, Scott McDonald is, for me, undoubtedly our most important player of the 21st Century.  He dragged us away from relegation three times across two spells (you could argue two of these were done almost single handed), banked us over £600k when we needed it, as well as mentoring the likes of Erwin and Moult (who in turn brought in circa £1m in transfer/development fees).  A wee b*****d?  100%, but some bloody player. 

FWIW, I agree with this entirely. McDonald is such a shit of a player, but broadly every time I've run across him, a lovely guy.

#Spoilers, but my team of the decade was;

Randolph

Kipre, Hutch, Aldred

Ainsworth Lasley Turnbull Johnson

McDonald

Higdon Moult

I don't care for your shouts that this wouldn't work, because we'd score 5 goals a game, and 8 whenever we're on telly.

Along these lines, my worst was;

Neilson

Kerr Jules O’Brien Straker

Daley  Gomis Taylor Petravicius

Blyth  Robinson

14 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe said:

His second last season he was on the bench from November to March. He had a drop off in form before we started using Daley, Law and Murphy on the right with him on the bench. When he came back into the team in March he was class, then carried that form into his final season.

Aye about 10 games probably. A clear mistake by the boss.

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

Randolph
Hateley Hutchinson Hammell

Ainsworth          Las              Law

McDonald

Sutton Higdon Moult

The Garth Crooks Motherwell team of the Decade.

44 minutes ago, Desp said:

The Garth Crooks Motherwell team of the Decade.

Randolph
Hateley Hutchinson Hammell

Las

Ainsworth    McDonald        Law

Sutton Higdon Moult

Edited it as The wide guys looked too defensive