Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

4 hours ago, capt_oats said:

As far as big Mikael goes, no harm to him but it feels like our original targets have fallen through (which in a way they clearly did with Cole going back to Wigan) so we've called in a favour from Bournemouth to get a body in until the end of the season. 

This seems about right to me.

I know it’s generally just generic platitudes, however even Robinson’s comments on the website allude to just that. He’s versatile and adds ‘competition’ to the front three.

Still over two weeks left in the window mind, I’m hoping we’ll see an actual striker come in before it closes.

Edited by Casagolda

12 hours ago, Casagolda said:

This seems about right to me.

I know it’s generally just generic platitudes, however even Robinson’s comments on the website allude to just that. He’s versatile and adds ‘competition’ to the front three.

Still over two weeks left in the window mind, I’m hoping we’ll see an actual striker come in before it closes.

Definitely.

The one thing that did occur to me is that big Mikael is a fair bit less experienced than Cole so in that respect it's not entirely like-for-like.

Ndjoli (21 - 6ft): 49 apps, 8 goals
Cole (24 - 6ft 1): 198 apps, 44 goals

Maybe that reduces the sort of contribution to wage we're obliged to pay compared to Cole and possibly free up a bit of budget to use elsewhere - who knows. Based on that (and having seen very little of him) I'd guess that the "adds competition" shout sounds about right - rather than him being someone who's definitely been brought in to start. The fact that Cole's out the door and the Cup game's on Saturday meant that we needed a body in though.

January's a fairly shite month, we're not going to be bringing in a 20 goal striker because generally teams who have them want to keep hold of them and charge a premium if you want to buy them. We're looking for someone who'll roughly fit into the system we play and hope that he can do us a turn.

Looking at the wee video Marv's put up and he ticks those 'raw attributes' boxes that Robinson's spoken about; quick, athletic, runs channels - all the other stuff is down to how coachable he is and even then...he's only here for 6 months so it's hardly a massive risk.

As I was saying the other day our market at the moment is waifs and strays; players who are either broken and need games to fix them or players who are miles out the picture at their respective clubs for reasons. Even then there's a certain chain of events that need to happen and ultimately we're still relying on the kindness of strangers.

I'd hope that there's still scope for an actual striker to come in given it's something that Robinson mentioned frequently in the first half of the season but it really does depend who's out there and available. Given our relative safety I'd be surprised if we found ourselves chucking cash we didn't need to.

Edited by capt_oats

I don't think there is any chance that Ndjoli is the striker Robinson has referring to requiring. He is very much a wide player, not a striker although you could put him in the 'forward' bracket i suppose.

In my mind, it's been pretty clear we need both a winger and a #9 so I would suggest the striker is still to come. We still have plenty of time to do business.

We only have Long, Scott (who has been playing wide) and Mazinga (unproven) so an out and out striker is a priority. I'd be shocked if we didn't get one.

In regards to Ndjoli himself, I think the signing is fine. He has raw ability and is capable of moments of magic at times. From what I have read the reports from Killie and Gillingham were hardly glowing but I always felt like he could be a threat when we came on as sub for Killie in the limited games I saw of him.

Ultimately it's another option from the bench for us in the wide areas so I'm pretty pleased with it. Can't be a worse option than Seedorf, he's certainly got better experience than Sherwin.

2 hours ago, Luke92 said:

I don't think there is any chance that Ndjoli is the striker Robinson has referring to requiring. He is very much a wide player, not a striker although you could put him in the 'forward' bracket i suppose.

In my mind, it's been pretty clear we need both a winger and a #9 so I would suggest the striker is still to come. We still have plenty of time to do business.

We only have Long, Scott (who has been playing wide) and Mazinga (unproven) so an out and out striker is a priority. I'd be shocked if we didn't get one.

In regards to Ndjoli himself, I think the signing is fine. He has raw ability and is capable of moments of magic at times. From what I have read the reports from Killie and Gillingham were hardly glowing but I always felt like he could be a threat when we came on as sub for Killie in the limited games I saw of him.

Ultimately it's another option from the bench for us in the wide areas so I'm pretty pleased with it. Can't be a worse option than Seedorf, he's certainly got better experience than Sherwin.

Agree with all of that tbh.

The only thing I'd say is that part of Robinson's chat with regards recruitment has been that with the squad as it is we're looking to bring in better than what we have (or words to that effect). To go back to what he was saying at the end of the summer window - there was a specific player that we thought we had over the line but when that fell down we decided to just run with what we had rather than look at other options - which we got away with in so much as we didn't really have any injuries.

Ndjoli to all intents and purposes replaces Cole, which is fine. I liked Devante and would have been happy for him to stick around but ultimately we're asking Ndjoli to replace 4 goals of a contribution. I'll not lie, I thought if we were bringing in another wide 'option' it'd have been Jamie Murphy but c'est la vie.

As far as the #9 goes it depends who's actually out there, like everyone I read the Griffiths rumours but even with Celtic bringing in another striker he's nowhere near as far from the Celtic first team as Ciftci was. He was so far from their team he was literally in Plymouth.

After that the "quality" signings we've made (around or after the January window) have all had some sort of history with the club where they'd be willing to do us a favour McFadden wasn't getting a game and was released by Sunderland, McDonald was out of contract as was Pearson and Villa were happy to hand McCormack over to anyone who'd have him as long as he wasn't giving them hassle.

I'm absolutely up for us looking to bring someone in and having a tilt at 3rd but it's a pretty shallow pool in terms of realistic options. Based on the way we dealt with the summer window if the "right" player isn't available I wouldn't be surprised if we just stuck with what we had.

Although having said all that I'm 100% into Robinson just cracking open the 'expired contracts' page on Transfermarkt and going wild.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, Marinello said:

FWIW I spoke to Livi mate about Jordan White. He says he did well at Livi adding that with the better service available from our midfield he would be a good signing.

Just sayin' like.

White split our support. Some people thought he was a useless lump. Intellectuals saw he was a good player being used wrongly (and at some point being played as a winger for some reason.)

After he left us for Wrexham he had a massive problem with illness that kept him out for about a year, so no idea if he's even the same player but if he's being linked to Motherwell I'd imagine he's probably improved.

34 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

White split our support. Some people thought he was a useless lump. Intellectuals saw he was a good player being used wrongly (and at some point being played as a winger for some reason.)

After he left us for Wrexham he had a massive problem with illness that kept him out for about a year, so no idea if he's even the same player but if he's being linked to Motherwell I'd imagine he's probably improved.

You'll do well in here, welcome!

31 minutes ago, Marinello said:

Hearing we lost 1-0 today against Hibs in closed door game at Easter Road.

No idea of team but seemingly Hibs had a strong team out.

Flow mentioned the game when he was on Off The Ball on Saturday. Pretty sure Robinson had mentioned sorting a friendly out in an interview at the start of the break. It wasn't clear at the time whether he meant a bounce game in Tenerife or not. Apparently this was the game he was meaning.

I think both had their first XI out ahead of the Cup games.

In other news the rapid midget we were 'linked' with the other day has signed for Newport County on loan. Having watched that clip of highlights this news isn't much of a disappointment.

Edited by capt_oats

That rapid midget guy looked rubbish. about 40% of his video was him being fouled.

The Boy we have on loan will get a chance. Never noticed him at Killie at all if I am honest but I like that we try get the best out of players when others can't.
I think Scott and Long will be our no9 options. Both can play there or wide and have more of a rounded "forward" feel. Hylton and Seedorf feel like 100% wingers. The new Loanee? is he more of a winger? Could he play as a 9? Isuspect he will be able to if needed. As I say I don't know much about him though.

Hopefully the bounce game today keeps us rollin' over for the cup game, regardless of the score.

As much as I love Tait, I’d have Hateley in instead of him. I also had Lionel instead of Humphrey. Think John Sutton and Steve Jennings can probably feel most hard done by.

DT in there after about 25 games haha.