Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

4 minutes ago, Swami said:

Are there Rangers fans in here commenting on our finances?

What a world. 

To be fair, what he said was bang on. 

We made a huge profit in the last financial year, and we spent a fair bit of it on Boyle/Hutchinson, new scoreboard, Main Stand upkeep and internal redecoration, new roof on the East Stand etc. 

Looking forward to the Celtic/Rangers fans on Twitter saying the drop in ticket revenue (due to us not being at Hampden four times) is actually because we cut their allocation by about 1000 six months ago...

13 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Was the loss that we made not also related to paying off the final chunks of debt to Boyle/Hutchinson as well?

IIRC - we paid a big chunk - 600k-ish out of last year's accounts and the final payment will be shown in this year's accounts (which makes the fact that we will be break-even more encouraging). 

Is it that Kieran Maguire?
He just reads club accounts and lays it out in simple terms I think. No guesswork or presumptions.
I find the language he uses to be a bit hyperbolic at times. For example, he's said that Motherwell "burned through" money on day-to-day stuff. If you're just going to lay out facts then you shouldn't be using such emotive language.

It was the same with his comments on Inverness. He said "Shame that the club uses a legal loophole to avoid disclosing their profit and loss account". The "loophole" in question is that they, a small company, declared themselves to be a small company.

1 minute ago, Antiochas III said:

Especially when you wouldn't class a brand new scoreboard (one you don't need to know Morse code to read), the relaying of the pitch, expansion of warm-up areas etc. as "day-to-day stuff"

I know the new one actually makes sense and is readable and looks great, but seeing how they worked around the blown bulbs and presumably archaic software to make it functioning really was a lot of fun.

48 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I find the language he uses to be a bit hyperbolic at times. For example, he's said that Motherwell "burned through" money on day-to-day stuff. If you're just going to lay out facts then you shouldn't be using such emotive language.

It was the same with his comments on Inverness. He said "Shame that the club uses a legal loophole to avoid disclosing their profit and loss account". The "loophole" in question is that they, a small company, declared themselves to be a small company.

Aye. The line about "made a loss of £691k in 2018/19, would have been close to £1.5 million had it not been for player sales." whilst factually correct seems a bit handbag clutchy as well.

Maybe I'm being overly sensitive but there's an implication in his wording that the player sales are to offset the loss. Which isn't necessarily the case.

We sold Kipré in the summer window so it was up front and already on the books. Presumably knowing we'd already banked that £750k+ up front (on top of the profit from the previous season) allowed us to spend on the other stuff with a bit more security.

Edited by capt_oats

It's especially weird given that player sales make up a massive part of the income of a lot of football clubs. You wouldn't say "Pizza Hut's losses would have been close to £1.5m if it hadn't been for all those pizzas that they sold". If you get income then of course you're going to spend it.

My feeling is that the guy mainly does this stuff through a prism of big clubs and then doesn't really understand what makes smaller clubs tick. It's just like the bit about the decrease in revenue being "due to less progress in cups perhaps?". Of course it is, what other reason would there be? You reached two cup finals in the previous season, which brings massive gate revenue, TV income and prize money from the four games at Hampden. Probably that money is a drop in the ocean for a big English club or even Celtic and Rangers, so he doesn't realise quite how impactful it is for a Motherwell.

Edited by craigkillie

5 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Was the loss that we made not also related to paying off the final chunks of debt to Boyle/Hutchinson as well?

Nope, paying off debt wouldn't affect any profit or loss. It affects the cash and creditor balances only. 

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Spend spend spend. I want European football, a ten point deduction and defrauded florists by the end of the decade.

Completely agree. Whole heartedly in favour of bringing back Ariyibi, Ainsworth, Prince Nadir and Granda Higdon to launch us into a European qualifying round. 

2 hours ago, Casagolda said:
Apparently we’re trying to convince Long to stay for at least next season and Grimshaw is on the verge of signing a two year extension. 

Sounds about right.

Grimshaw's made the RB position his own this season and his last extension was a 1 year so a 2 year offer seems fair. He's very much cult classic - not best seller.

Long? If he fancies another year then yeah...fine.

As it stands these are the players who are contracted for next season (not including the u18s) and where there are gaps:

1625097712_ScreenShot2020-01-09at09_56_57.png.bf5f9e423730bd6dd64f190ceb7b4ac5.png

Contracts offered (reported): Gillespie, Grimshaw, Long

Out of contract: Ferguson, Tait, Hartley, Dunne, Livingstone, Maguire, Manzinga, Ilic

Loans expiring: O'Hara

Edited by capt_oats

Apparently we’re trying to convince Long to stay for at least next season and Grimshaw is on the verge of signing a two year extension. 
Does Scott Burns write for both the Express and Record? I thought it was the Star that shared sports news with the Express.

This probably shows I don't read any of them.

Does Scott Burns write for both the Express and Record? I thought it was the Star that shared sports news with the Express.

This probably shows I don't read any of them.
Used to be express but think he's basically freelance these days as his byes appear in basically every paper.

4 hours ago, Casagolda said:

That background for Grimshaw's pic..... 

Of all the games that we've played at Fir Park, the background they use is from a Gretna Hearts game with the old scoreboard....

12 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Spend spend spend. I want European football, a ten point deduction and defrauded florists by the end of the decade.

I think I know just the team for you...