Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

23 minutes ago, Well Well said:

Noticed that went up last night. Along with the McGarry piece in The Herald there's a similar article by Fraser Wilson in The Record so I'm guessing it's stuff from a press conference.

Not to quote the whole article but there are a few bits and pieces that are probably worth picking up on.

“The way I see it though is the hard work starts now. No one can rest on their laurels. The board are driven, so are the Well Society as are the staff and myself. Now is the time if we sell someone, get to the top six, or have another cup run, then we can reinvest that into the club.

“The structure, training ground and academy needs improved, and we are still doing okay within that. I always think ‘what could we do if we keep pushing?’ That’s the aim.”

It's interesting that he's talking about mid-long term projects in terms of the club infrastructure given this season has seen Robinson pretty strongly linked with the Hearts job and by all accounts he's favourite for the N.I job if O'Neil ever actually leaves. IIRC the training ground chat is something that was touched on at the AGM last month.

Also - kind of related - it's not the first time this season he's mentioned having been shown loyalty by the board.

“Motherwell have given me time and they have worked with me over my time here,” Robinson said. “We were second bottom when I came into the job and we managed to stay in the league. We gave them a lot of success in my first full season here by reaching two cup finals.

The Record piece also has him showing a bit of support to Tommy Wright and Derek McInnes.

Edited by capt_oats

4 league draws in a calendar year is pretty ridiculous tbh. We've got lucky on more than a few occasions but fair play to Robinson for finding a system that can beat most teams in this league. We're never going to steamroller the opposition every week due to our budget but we've excelled so far at eking out 3 points in close games.

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Just to put it on record in this thread.

ENN51rEXUAAUpwF?format=jpg&name=small

Obviously with the big amber highlight, I'm meant to notice Motherwell and comment on the good year we've had - but I can't take my eyes of those Hearts' stats. With the micro budgets that most teams in the league have, it's obvious how a bad transfer window or a weakness behind the scenes could be magnified and see the smaller teams in relegation trouble in any given season - but to be in the state that Hearts are in over a full calendar year is properly mental. And very funny.

4 league draws in a calendar year is pretty ridiculous tbh. We've got lucky on more than a few occasions but fair play to Robinson for finding a system that can beat most teams in this league. We're never going to steamroller the opposition every week due to our budget but we've excelled so far at eking out 3 points in close games.
With things as tight as they generally are, it makes a massive difference being able to eke out a win where there's little between the teams (as is often the case). That's where I genuinely believe a little bit of pace makes the difference, even if the player is anonymous for much of the game.

We also seem to be much more capable of seeing a game out.

Potential for some extra money to be added to our transfer kitty coming from a sell-on clause from Ben Heneghan. 

He is out of contract at Sheff United at the end of the season. Would suspect any fee being paid for him just now will be minimal.
Still, 15% of something is better than 15% of nothing!

2 minutes ago, Mitch said:

He is out of contract at Sheff United at the end of the season. Would suspect any fee being paid for him just now will be minimal.
Still, 15% of something is better than 15% of nothing!

True that! The fact we even got money for him in the first place still baffles me. £250k was it after 1 bang average season?

Heneghan played for us in a really poor team and I wouldn't ever fault his attitude or application when he was here, but I really can't fathom why someone was willing to pay money for him that summer after the season he had. He looked slower than quick strikers and weaker than big strikers, but I guess there's a reason that scouts are in their job and I'm not.

Just noticed that although we are the third highest scorers in the league, none of our players are in the top ten for the league. I guess that makes Cole's departure somewhat easier to compensate for, it's not like the season Nick Blackman had scored 10 before he was offski at Christmas.

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe said:

Just noticed that although we are the third highest scorers in the league, none of our players are in the top ten for the league. I guess that makes Cole's departure somewhat easier to compensate for, it's not like the season Nick Blackman had scored 10 before he was offski at Christmas.

It’s quite impressive really. 

Our top scorer has scored once since August. Hylton and Seedorf haven’t scored since September. Polworth’s only got one league goal so far this season. James Scott seemingly only scores against St Mirren. While our two senior strikers both have less league goals than Steven Lawless. 

Yet here we are. I think because we’ve always been use to having a traditional no 9, 15 goal a season striker- Moult, Higdon, Sutton etc. It’s quite disconcerting to not have anyone to rely on for goals. 

Whatever is we’re doing though, seems to be working alright so far.

Edited by Casagolda

25 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

It’s quite impressive really. 

Our top scorer has scored once since August. Hylton and Seedorf haven’t scored since September. Polworth’s only got one league goal so far this season. James Scott seemingly only scores against St Mirren. While our two senior strikers both have less league goals than Steven Lawless. 

Yet here we are. I think because we’ve always been use to having a traditional no 9, 15 goal a season striker- Moult, Higdon, Sutton etc. It’s quite disconcerting to not have anyone to rely on for goals. 

Whatever is we’re doing though, seems to be working alright so far.

Yeah, that's it. Using Blackman as a comparison, when we lost him that January he had scored 10 of our 26 goals in the league so far (38%), with Cole he had scored 4 of 33 (12%) so although we are light on bodies/options up top, it not such a tall order to replace.