Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

57 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

As far as I worked out, 36 points keeps you off the bottom.

A tense final 6 months as you try and pick up 2 points.

Is this based on the average points needed to stay up or have you mathematically worked it out? 

Asking for a friend.

Fucked if I'm looking any further back but over the last 5 seasons the average points total for 10th at the end of the season and 6th at the split are below.

Gives a rough idea of where things stand in terms of "milestones":

10th:
18/19: 33 (Accies)
17/18: 33 (Accies)
16/17: 37 (Dundee)
15/16: 43 (Accies)
14/15: 41 (Killie)

Avg = 37.4 pts

6th at the split:
18/19: 50 (Hearts)
17/18: 46 (Hearts)
16/17: 41 (Thistle)
15/16: 43 (County)
14/15: 44 (Dundee)

Avg = 44.8 pts

Incidentally this was the table after the same number of fixtures last season:

591774751_ScreenShot2019-12-21at19_38_07.png.6f99b20ae77789832526defeb188c4df.png

We're currently 16 points better off, 12 goals more scored and 7 fewer conceded...which is nice.

673968256_ScreenShot2019-12-21at19_42_19.png.9fa0246107a1ba7ff1d064ce42f86d04.png

Edited by capt_oats

14 hours ago, weemac said:

Is this based on the average points needed to stay up or have you mathematically worked it out? 

Asking for a friend.

Was just an average over a certain amount of years, as yer man done a few posts above.

You'll be comfortably top half this year, comfortably 4th too I'd imagine. The rest of the league is awful this season.

13 hours ago, capt_oats said:

673968256_ScreenShot2019-12-21at19_42_19.png.9fa0246107a1ba7ff1d064ce42f86d04.png

Its a interesting thing, to fucking sad acts like me, to see Saints have lost as many games as Motherwell this season.

41 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Its a interesting thing, to fucking sad acts like me, to see Saints have lost as many games as Motherwell this season.

4 of our losses were standard ones to Rangers and Celtic, Aberdeen beat us comfortably and we lost at Easter Rd when Jack took over. The Ross County game  is the only loss that stands out and shows how consistent we've been against the other teams (which is something that's been the case for the entire calendar year and was the basis of our success under McCall IIRC).

5 minutes ago, Swello said:

4 of our losses were standard ones to Rangers and Celtic, Aberdeen beat us comfortably and we lost at Easter Rd when Jack took over. The Ross County game  is the only loss that stands out and shows how consistent we've been against the other teams (which is something that's been the case for the entire calendar year and was the basis of our success under McCall IIRC).

Wasnt trying to claim anything about the relative sides or that, it just highlights how thin the margins can be in this league to a degree.

Your absolute light years ahead of us as a team.

21 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Interesting to hear him confirm he feels we need to "bolster" the top end of the park either way.

If Cole does depart, it would still leave us with 6 ‘forwards’ but it remains to be seen if Robinson would actually trust the likes of Manzinga, Ilic or (after yesterday) Seedorf for any sustained period of time. 

I think Cole’s been decent enough for us but I can’t say I’m overly upset at the thought of him being away. Felt sorry for him yesterday mind when he came on and ended up having to do Seedorf’s jobs for him. 

Said it a while back but it feels like we missed boat with the boy Dykes at Livi. We were rumoured to be sniffing about him this time last year and he looks ideal for what we’re looking for just now.

Shouts of Murphy and Lafferty are interesting. Robinson’s obviously been stung by the likes of McCormack and Sloth in recent windows but he certainly seemed to allude to the fact he’d do it again on the Longer Listen podcast if such a player becomes available. 

Edited by Casagolda

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Wasnt trying to claim anything about the relative sides or that, it just highlights how thin the margins can be in this league to a degree.

Your absolute light years ahead of us as a team.

I wasn't trying to be defensive :) I just hadn't thought about the games we'd lost until now...

4 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Shouts of Murphy and Lafferty are interesting.  Robinson’s obviously been stung by the likes of McCormack and Sloth in recent windows but he certainly seemed to allude to the fact he’d do it again on the Longer Listen podcast if such a player becomes available. 

Fundamentally, we've got a good squad this season, so I think we can still afford a gamble on a  player if the right one is available. I think the problem is where you a relying on that type of player rescuing a shite season or spunking too much of your budget on one player.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

57 minutes ago, Swello said:

47 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

We don’t do draws/draws are for gimps.

Pretty much as @Gianfranco says...

Our calendar year in the league is below (results in the spoiler). It's changed days from the "cup results don't count" squad using Robinson's league record against him.

P 36 W 20 D 4 L 12 F 56 A 47 GD + 9 Pts 64 (from 108)

We've won 55% of our games, drawn 11% and lost 33%...we've taken 59.2% of available points.

7 of the 12 losses have been away from home (Celtic x2, Hibs x2, Rangers, Aberdeen and St Johnstone) and the 5 losses at home have been to Celtic, Rangers x 2, Aberdeen and of course County.

450973936_ScreenShot2019-12-22at10_08_16.png.ecfdfc3ac47d0b8f7545d68b5bdb7ecb.png

Spoiler

868245048_ScreenShot2019-12-22at10_14_58.thumb.png.a1f1232ff180c08b01b320bc887e0955.png
515120331_ScreenShot2019-12-22at10_15_27.thumb.png.7fc17e7590830937e2ce0b2a79fd4390.png

Edited by capt_oats

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Saints' problem is you've scored less goals than Hearts.

23 minutes ago, nsr said:

Saints' problem is you've scored less goals than Hearts.

Not really, we scored about the same after 17 games in 14/15 yet sat 6th.