Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Getting my Spotify Wrapped decade thing (bangers each and every one btw) made me think about our decade.

It's open to debate whether the 09/10 season should be included or if the end of this year is actually the end of the decade but anyway by my count:
6 Top 6 finishes in 10 seasons - this season TBC obvs
6 seasons competing in European competition
6 Managers
3 Cup Finals
2 2nd place finishes
1 3rd place finish
1 PFA POTY win (Higdon)
1 Golden Boot (Higdon)
1 Premiership Play-off win (6-1 agg vs Rangers)
1 FW YPOTY win (Turnbull)
plus fan ownership becoming a thing.

2009/10 - 5th - Top Scorer (all): John Sutton (13)
2010/11 - 6th (SC Final) - Top Scorer (all): John Sutton (17)
2011/12 - 3rd - Top Scorer (all): Michal Higdon (16)
2012/13 - 2nd - Top Scorer (all): Michael Higdon (27)
2013/14 - 2nd - Top Scorer (all): John Sutton (22) 
2014/15 - 11th (Scottish Premiership Play-off: Winners) - Top Scorer (all): John Sutton (13)
2015/16 - 5th - Top Scorer (all): Louis Moult (18)
2016/17 - 9th - Top Scorer (all): Louis Moult (18)
2017/18 - 7th (LC Final / SC Final) - Top Scorer (all): Louis Moult (14)
2018/19 - 8th - Top Scorer (all): David Turnbull (15)
2019/20 - currently 3rd - Top Scorer (all): Liam Donnelly (9)

Managers win %:
Jim Gannon (30th June 09 - 28th Dec 09) - 28%
Craig Brown (29th Dec 09 - 10th Dec 2010)- 46.67%
Stuart McCall (30th Dec 10 - 2nd Nov 14) - 42.5%
Ian Baraclough (13th Dec 14 - 23rd Sept 15) -35.3%
Mark McGhee (13th Oct 15 - 28th Feb 17) -35.5%
Stephen Robinson (28th Feb 17 - present) -  46.9%

So there you go...

When it's written down like that - it's been a fucking bizarre and memorable decade.

It is some distance from seeing Gannon's boys getting the runaround from a 16 stone welsh PE teacher in Airdrie to Champions league qualifiers in the Olympic Stadium in Athens - or from being in the playoff grubber and expecting to go down to moving to fan ownership, paying off our remaining debt and being in our 4th decade in the top flight as the 2010's come to a close.

It bugs me massively that we didn't win anything in that time when all our peers did and there is no sugar coating that. We were unlucky in that all our finals were against Rangers and Celtic on good form but it is still a big miss given that we were finishing 2nd and 3rd in the league and in McCall's time especially, had a properly good team.

We've ended the decade with the club in as good a state as I can remember it - we've got an academy that is well respected (and envied by many), we're not carrying any debt and we've got a Chief Exec and a board  that are accessible, open and make way more good decisions than bad. 

Score for the decade - 9/10: would watch again.

Edited by Swello

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Getting my Spotify Wrapped decade thing (bangers each and every one btw) made me think about our decade.

It's open to debate whether the 09/10 season should be included or if the end of this year is actually the end of the decade but anyway by my count:
6 Top 6 finishes in 10 seasons - this season TBC obvs
6 seasons competing in European competition
6 Managers
3 Cup Finals
2 2nd place finishes
1 3rd place finish
1 PFA POTY (Higdon)
1 Golden Boot (Higdon)
1 Premiership Play-off win (6-1 agg vs Rangers)
1 FW YPOTY (Turnbull)
plus fan ownership becoming a thing.

2009/10 - 5th - Top Scorer (all): John Sutton (13)
2010/11 - 6th (SC Final) - Top Scorer (all): John Sutton (17)
2011/12 - 3rd - Top Scorer (all): Michal Higdon (16)
2012/13 - 2nd - Top Scorer (all): Michael Higdon (27)
2013/14 - 2nd - Top Scorer (all): John Sutton (22) 
2014/15 - 11th (Scottish Premiership Play-off: Winners) - Top Scorer (all): John Sutton (13)
2015/16 - 5th - Top Scorer (all): Louis Moult (18)
2016/17 - 9th - Top Scorer (all): Louis Moult (18)
2017/18 - 7th (LC Final / SC Final) - Top Scorer (all): Louis Moult (14)
2018/19 - 8th - Top Scorer (all): David Turnbull (15)
2019/20 - currently 3rd - Top Scorer (all): Liam Donnelly (9)

Managers win %:
Jim Gannon (30th June 09 - 28th Dec 09) - 28%
Craig Brown (29th Dec 09 - 10th Dec 10)- 46.67%
Stuart McCall (30th Dec 10 - 2nd Nov 14) - 42.5%
Ian Baraclough (13th Dec 14 - 23rd Sept 15) -35.3%
Mark McGhee (13th Oct 15 - 28th Feb 17) -35.5%
Stephen Robinson (28th Feb 17 - present) -  46.9%

So there you go...

The start of the 14/15 season must really have humped Stuart McCall. Quite surprised to see his win percentage isn't that much better than Baraclough's or McGhee's overall. I also don't remember Jim Gannon being that bad - obviously I was wrong!

Just now, Ron Aldo said:

The start of the 14/15 season must really have humped Stuart McCall. Quite surprised to see his win percentage isn't that much better than Baraclough's or McGhee's overall. I also don't remember Jim Gannon being that bad - obviously I was wrong!

I'm pretty sure it was the draws that fucked Gannon in a win % sense (along with being an absolute fucking maniac).

We were 6th when he was emptied I think. Of the 17 league games he'd won 4 but drawn 8.

2 hours ago, Swello said:

When it's written down like that - it's been a fucking bizarre and memorable decade.

It is some distance from seeing Gannon's boys getting the runaround from a 16 stone welsh PE teacher in Airdrie to Champions league qualifiers in the Olympic Stadium in Athens - or from being in the playoff grubber and expecting to go down to moving to fan ownership, paying off our remaining debt and being in our 4th decade in the top flight as the 2010's come to a close.

It bugs me massively that we didn't win anything in that time when all our peers did and there is no sugar coating that. We were unlucky in that all our finals were against Rangers and Celtic on good form but it is still a big miss given that we were finishing 2nd and 3rd in the league and in McCall's time especially, had a properly good team.

We've ended the decade with the club in as good a state as I can remember it - we've got an academy that is well respected (and envied by many), we're not carrying any debt and we've got a Chief Exec and a board  that are accessible, open and make way more good decisions than bad. 

Score for the decade - 9/10: would watch again.

Aye. It's kind of easy to get caught up in the minutiae of things so seeing a broader overview is actually a bit of an eye opener. Even more so when you factor in what the club has actually built in terms of the off the park re-structuring since fan ownership (while paying off the money owed to Boyle and Hutchison) and making it work as a viable model.

As far as the state of the club goes the investment in everything from the Academy, sports science, recruitment, commercial, comms & engagement and even the pitch itself is a credit to everyone involved.

I'm genuinely quite curious to see what's covered at the AGM coming up.

Edited by capt_oats

We reckon he’s staying beyond January? 

I seem to be in the minority that actually prefers Long but there’s no doubt Cole’s showed flashes of what he’s potentially capable of. Robinson seems a big fan but I’d imagine a permanent deal would be out the equation due to his wages, so it’d need to be another loan. 

Suppose a lot will depend on whether he actually wants to stay or not, or if Wigan manage to find an actual buyer. 

Edited by Casagolda

On 09/12/2019 at 22:59, welldaft said:

To be fair he is probably bored shitless. 
That said I do wish he would stop liking Celtic related tweets. He is a Motherwell fan and more so a player. I think given how much we love him is why he is getting a relatively easy ride from the fans. 

I'm in a similar boat, but he's clearly got pals who are Celtic fans etc.

The last game v Celtic at Fir Park he was on the phone and waving to his mates in the South Stand.

I guess its just the times we live in with social media etc.

That said, Motherwell need to accept an offer before he goes anywhere soon.

26 minutes ago, Swello said:

Porter probably one of our more underrated strikers  of "recent" years. Not a showy player but one of these guys that got everything on target....

Always thought he was a classy player, don’t think I ever seen him lash at that the ball once. Almost every finish was calmly side footed into the corner of the net(or a header).

Back when we could go out and sign a young striker who’d just scored over 20 goals in League One in England. 

Changed days eh?

Edited by Casagolda

26 minutes ago, Swello said:

Talking of strikers - just saw this on the SPFL twitter

Porter probably one of our more underrated strikers  of "recent" years. Not a showy player but one of these guys that got everything on target....

Dont ask why, but I was looking up the top scorers in the English lower leagues, and I'm sure hes the 2nd top scorer in either League Two or the Conference this season.

35 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Always thought he was a classy player, don’t think I ever seen him lash at that the ball once. Almost every finish was calmly side footed into the corner of the net(or a header).

Back when we could go out and sign a young striker who’d just scored over 20 goals in League One in England. 

Changed days eh?

Was he not the one where we had a forum invasion telling us he was crocked (and not that good anyway)? And I'm sure it was the first use of the cross-border loophole thingy that meant we got him for no fee...

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Was he not the one where we had a forum invasion telling us he was crocked (and not that good anyway)? And I'm sure it was the first use of the cross-border loophole thingy that meant we got him for no fee...

Yup. 

Back in the day, when you couldn’t just send snake emojis to the player/clubs account directly on twitter- a la Plymouth fans with McHugh. 

Sure SO had a fair few Oldham fans coming on tell us he had a glass knee and he was just a poor man’s Chris Killen(or someone like that). 

Believe they turned down a few bids in January for him from Championship clubs as they felt they were due a decent 6 figure compo in the summer anyway. Then when no one was willing to pay it, we swooped in- signed him and then sold him for about 400k to Derby 18 months later. 

Edited by Casagolda

1 hour ago, Aufc said:

You really need your hole

Getting your hole doesnt help you predict your clubs transfer targets six month in advance, m8.

Cos @RandomGuy. mentioned it I had a look. Eion Doyle is romping the league Two scoring charts.

Porter was absolute class and these days is often referred to as "underrated". I don't reall remember it like that a lot of folk i knew then loved him but I suppose he maybe gets overlooked due to the goal scoring exploits of Sutton, Higdon & Moult since.