Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Phillips455 said:

Dundee vs Well Scottish cup game times confirmed.

Will be shown on BBC Scotland and will take place on Saturday 18th of January at 7.20pm.

What the Hell?

'kin hell - 7:20pm - that'll make it fun to get back by train. Will be rivalling Nancy away for average level of pishedness of the motherwell support :)

I don't really understand folk moaning about Saturday night kick offs. To me, its a perfect kick off time. Great time for bevy, plenty time to get there and get back.

Unless you have any great plans for a Saturday night in January I don't see the big issue.

Surely we aren't going to do a hibs and start complaining that 'it's too dangerous to travel' to Dundee on a Saturday night!

On 03/12/2019 at 14:42, Swello said:

Will be rivalling Nancy away for average level of pishedness of the motherwell support :)

:lol: an absolutely astonishing amount of steaming folk that night (I include John Boyle in that). What a trip! 

Right I know its very earlys and all that but I can't help but get overexcited and think we have a decent chance of getting top 4/5 (and potentially europe) this season.

Aberdeen are pretty gash this season but their squad will see them finish 3rd in the end.

Outwith them we are going to be competing with Killie and Hibs.  I don't think we have anything to fear there. Hibs potentially have budget to spend in January but they are leaking goals for fun and we have already accrued a 9 point gap with them.

Even if Hearts get their act together in the next month they are a fair distance behind in terms of points. To be honest I don't see anyone else posing a challenge.

If we can continue this run of good form through Christmas we are going to be in with a decent shout. Long season still to go but a bit of recognition for the job Robbo is doing thus far. We aren't just winning games, we are skudding teams (in 2nd gear at times)

Can we talk about James Scott finishes last night btw? Top quality.

3 hours ago, Luke92 said:

Can we talk about James Scott finishes last night btw? Top quality.

Impressed with just how equally comfortable he looks using either foot.

I think out wide suits him just now but that 2nd goal also shows he has the potential to play anywhere across the front three in the future. His 1st goal had shades of Hastie there last season.

However whereas Hastie was all about pure pace and power, Scott appears to have a lot more finesse about him- as well as being an absolute unit. Some of his touches and bits of skill are an absolute delight. 

Club got some amount of stick over Hastie’s contract but getting Scott tied up to 2022 before he’d even started a game for the first team is looking potentially like great bit of business.

Edited by Casagolda

I thought Robinson's comments about Scott in the podcast interview last week were quite revealing. Specifically him saying that he thinks he'll be an excellent centre forward eventually however him playing out wide is Scott's preference at the moment because there's less "contact" with centre backs. It's something that we've all mentioned as being a sensible approach but it's interesting to hear that it's Scott's view as well.

His 2nd last night was an absolutely natural finish and it's one of those that had he been in the same position at the tail end of last season or even earlier this season he may have fluffed (the 1 v 1s he had against Morton and QoTS in the LC group being good examples). The more he finds his feet at this level and the more comfortable he gets as a first team player the better his chance conversion rate will get IMO.

He was very much the same with the u20s in that respect.

Edited by capt_oats

Not going to lie, I'm really fucking excited about Scott after last night. He's got a long way to go, but if he manages to mature into the sort of player he looks like he can be, I honestly think he could be one of the most well rounded strikers in the league. I'm  proper struggling to think of anyone outside Demeble/Edouard in the last few seasons that's had that combination of height, strength, pace, dribbling ability and a decent shot. 

11 hours ago, Luke92 said:

Right I know its very earlys and all that but I can't help but get overexcited and think we have a decent chance of getting top 4/5 (and potentially europe) this season.

Aberdeen are pretty gash this season but their squad will see them finish 3rd in the end.

Outwith them we are going to be competing with Killie and Hibs.  I don't think we have anything to fear there. Hibs potentially have budget to spend in January but they are leaking goals for fun and we have already accrued a 9 point gap with them.

Even if Hearts get their act together in the next month they are a fair distance behind in terms of points. To be honest I don't see anyone else posing a challenge.

If we can continue this run of good form through Christmas we are going to be in with a decent shout. Long season still to go but a bit of recognition for the job Robbo is doing thus far. We aren't just winning games, we are skudding teams (in 2nd gear at times)

3 wins and a draw from safety

I got laughed at at the game on Wednesday for my pessimistic attitude but my first target is avoiding relegation and then seeing if we can get top 6. There's a split formed in the league so if we can keep up some decent form we could potentially have both of these pretty much in the bag by the winter break (which would have been an absolutely wild thought at the beginning of the season).