Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I love Faddy and I do think he should be celebrated as the best player our club has produced, certainly in my time.

It is rare that you have a club legend who was brilliant in teams that finished 11th and 12th but had a much lesser impact on a team that finished 2nd.

For me, his legacy would have been best if he had come back at that point when he did in February 2013 and played those three months when he was instrumental and then left to go elsewhere that summer and never came back after that.

The following season still had its moments (the 4-1 Hearts game where he scored one and made three in particular)  but for most of it you could see he was clearly injured, yet we persisted to play him.

42 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe said:

For me, his legacy would have been best if he had come back at that point when he did in February 2013 and played those three months when he was instrumental and then left to go elsewhere that summer and never came back after that.

That Wednesday night game against Celtic when we knew he was properly back and starting, I knew we'd win. The atmosphere that night, and a couple of weeks later against Hibs was a couple of my favourite ever games, the whole place was buzzing because he was there. Loved it.

30 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

That Wednesday night game against Celtic when we knew he was properly back and starting, I knew we'd win. The atmosphere that night, and a couple of weeks later against Hibs was a couple of my favourite ever games, the whole place was buzzing because he was there. Loved it.

Absolutely. My abiding memory of the Celtic game for some reason was the amount of headers he won. The Hibs game on the Friday was my birthday too which was a nice bonus. The equalising free-kick against St. Mirren is worth mentioning too.

40 minutes ago, nsr said:

His career never really took off the way it could have done. Everton wasted him.

I think not only Everton wasted him, but he was a bit wasted in that era too. In a time where 4-4-2 was prevalent, he was neither the big man or the little man in the partnership and the defensive responsibilities of playing as a left midfielder would supress his qualities too much.

I wonder how he'd fare now with 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 where the number 10 role exists and wide men are considered forwards rather than midfielders.

Edited by crazylegsjoe

Not enough mention of Michael Higdon going on here tbqh.

14 minutes ago, Antiochas III said:

Was that just after Neil Lennon's rant that Higdon won PPotY award?

Correct. Well, his rant after no Celtic players were nominated.

“Don’t start me on that, it beggars belief. We make the semi-final of the League Cup, get to the final of the Scottish Cup, win the championship, make the last 16 in Europe, we beat Barcelona, we beat Spartak Moscow and put the country on the map once again as far as Scottish football is concerned."

“I have no idea how the voting goes but you can’t tell me that Forster, Wanyama, Commons, Hooper and Kelvin Wilson weren’t in the forefront of people’s minds when the votes were being made. It’s ridiculous."

“After the outcome yesterday there is a lot of ill-will in the dressing room. The players are very disappointed with it."

GIF by Liverpool FC

We beat them twice at Fir Park in fairly quick succession that season.  The 2-1 Wednesday night game was about late February time I think.  We then played them after the split on an early Saturday kick-off and was 3-1 going on 5 or 6.  The latter one was where Lustig scored an own goal and Higdon scored the penalty before his fingers up to Lennon/water off a duck's back celebration

There's yer Craig Cathcart and Paddy McNair talking Robinson up for the NI job now...

'Robinson natural successor'

Cathcart and McNair also echoed Gareth McAuley's call that Motherwell manager Stephen Robinson would be the obvious choice to succeed O'Neill.

"Robbo has been amongst us and was at the Euros with us as well," Cathcart said.

"He's doing a fantastic job for Motherwell and is definitely a potential future manager for Northern Ireland so I'm sure those in charge will go and have a chat with him."

McNair added: "I've known him since I was about 12 years old when I played for the counties and he was a manager. He's a really good coach and manager."

Link

9 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

What was the game where he went back and spoke to the keeper, send it long to me on the left, a goal ensued?

Correct. Well, his rant after no Celtic players were nominated.
“Don’t start me on that, it beggars belief. We make the semi-final of the League Cup, get to the final of the Scottish Cup, win the championship, make the last 16 in Europe, we beat Barcelona, we beat Spartak Moscow and put the country on the map once again as far as Scottish football is concerned."
“I have no idea how the voting goes but you can’t tell me that Forster, Wanyama, Commons, Hooper and Kelvin Wilson weren’t in the forefront of people’s minds when the votes were being made. It’s ridiculous."
“After the outcome yesterday there is a lot of ill-will in the dressing room. The players are very disappointed with it."
200.gif&key=568c1021c5ca9450b7975c0e0b11e4ab89501772126ecdfe8cb03c89e4d00f3f

I’d swim lengths in the salty, salty tears here.