Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 hours ago, Swello said:

I still find the Sloth one weird though - I can't imagine if all was well that there would be no place on the bench for him at least given his pedigree, regardless of how well the midfield have been doing. For example,  I think it makes sense to have a Campbell replacement on the bench in games when he's been away with U21's...

Aye. It's a bit weird, no doubt.

Looking at the pre-season games he started against Crusaders, Linfield, Gretna and was on the bench against Darlington. In the LC groups he missed the QoS and Morton games, was on the bench for Dumbarton and got some minutes against Annan. Given the fact he hadn't played in since September '18 when we signed him and Robinson's "earn the right to play football" approach you can understand introducing him gradually (to a point).

Since then...it's only been Reserves appearances he's started the following games (4 of 8 Reserve League & Cup fixtures):

• 02/09/19 2-0 vs Morton
  • 16/09/19 2-2 vs Accies (scored)
  • 23/09/19 2-0 vs Dunfermline
  • 07/10/19 2-2 vs St Mirren

Again, all that seems fair enough and is actually more games/minutes than I thought. I don't imagine the sporadic nature of the Reserves fixtures lend themselves to building up any sort of fitness. There was almost a full month between the St Mirren game on 7th October and the Killie game on 4th November. I mean, that's just an absolute shambles (I know we had a couple of bounce games in between but still...Thistle beat us 1-0 in one). 

Lasley mentioned in his interview with @AndyRoss that Sloth had a couple of knocks and IIRC it had been mentioned earlier in the season that he'd been given some personal time but it's hard to shake the feeling that he's dropped off the face of the earth a bit.

Fwiw: I was at the Dunfermline game and he was fine - good even...certainly no Luka Belic. I've mentioned it before but he was far more dynamic than I had expected. He got about the park well and slotted in alongside Maguire and O'Hara in the first half and O'Hara and Semple in the 2nd.

Edited by capt_oats

15 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Robinson being linked with the N.Ireland job now as well this morning. 

No idea if he’ll actually get offered the job but that’s the one I don’t think he’d be able to turn down. 

Presumably this is direct from his agent but apparently he's the "leading candidate", Craigan will be his assistant and interestingly it seems O'Neill will be involved in appointing his successor and also asked Robinson to be involved at Stoke as his assistant but he kb'd that option.

That's quite a lot of detail.

Tbh, with Baraclough looking after their u21s and the fact Robinson's family are still based over there all the pieces fit. The only question is whether they offer him the job or not.

Edited by capt_oats

The Hearts/Hibs speculation seemed a bit of easy writing for the press. Whether he would go or not would be debatable. Cannot see him turning the NI job down if he gets offered it. 

You boys are in the same position as us right now. Best case scenario is O’Neill doesn’t take the Stoke job and we just go on our merry way. That said Healy is apparently very highly regarded over there as well, so maybe there’s hope.

Just when the Hearts / Hibs speculation seemed to die down, this comes up.

I'm starting to think more and more than Robinson will be away. I can't see how he could turn down the NI job if offered to him. It would be even more disappointing if Craigan was his assistant as I was actually thinking the other day that he could be a strong candidate for our next manager if Robinson does end up going.

1 minute ago, Ron Aldo said:

Just when the Hearts / Hibs speculation seemed to die down, this comes up.

I'm starting to think more and more than Robinson will be away. I can't see how he could turn down the NI job if offered to him. It would be even more disappointing if Craigan was his assistant as I was actually thinking the other day that he could be a strong candidate for our next manager if Robinson does end up going.

Was thinking the same thing, I think Craigan would be an excellent candidate for us.

I reckon if NI offer him the job, there's no way he's stay with us but would be happy to be proved wrong. He's stated in the media that a long term ambition of his was the manage his country, his family are still based in Belfast to my knowledge (?) and it would definitely be an upward step for him in terms of career progression.

I'd be sad to see him go. Even when he was facing criticism during his time with us, I've always thought he was an excellent fit for Motherwell and, judging by social media, I was one of the few that was actually quite happy when he got the job.

2 hours ago, Widge said:

You boys are in the same position as us right now. Best case scenario is O’Neill doesn’t take the Stoke job and we just go on our merry way. That said Healy is apparently very highly regarded over there as well, so maybe there’s hope.

I hope they appoint Wright. So they drop to the shite levels they should be at.

FWIW, Belfast Telegraph is reporting O'Neill will remain in charge for the Play Off games in March, and is speculating theres a clause that allows him to manage them at the Euros next Summer if they make it.

So theres a chance they wont be hiring anyone until next July. Be just like the thing if O'Neill was already sacked by Stoke by then.

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I'm hearing rumours of NI going for a Motherwell dream team of Robinson and Craigan but the comments above make me think it's all too soon and just speculation. It's also unlikely they'd have it sorted out the day they lose their manager.

Seems likely that if they go for Robinson he won't be taking over immediately and could remain well manager until the summer.

NI are unlikely to be involved in Euro qualifying past the coming International window so I don't think Stoke are going to be waiting long for a manager who is fully focussed on them.

That would seem ok but would be be a bit of a minefield for signing new players. You'd need the recruitment team to be bringing in new players and foisting them on a new manager.

A year ago I don't think there would have been one Motherwell supporter who would have been concerned about our manager being head-hunted for another job.

12 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

That would seem ok but would be be a bit of a minefield for signing new players. You'd need the recruitment team to be bringing in new players and foisting them on a new manager.

A year ago I don't think there would have been one Motherwell supporter who would have been concerned about our manager being head-hunted for another job.

In this very specific scenario ie: Robinson takes the NI job with Craigan as his assistant but sees out the season at Fir Park I'd be surprised if we waited until he was out the door in May before looking for his replacement.

I'm not sure about the contracts the rest of the coaching staff are on but given Lasley extended until 2022 in the summer presumably one of two things happens:

1. Lasley is promoted and brings in/promotes a new assistant.
2. We bring in a new manager on the proviso he works with the current coaching staff - with perhaps a bit of leeway for bringing in his own coach or such.

I can see there being an amount of inconvenience or overlap but I don't necessarily think it'd be a case of us foisting players on a new manager. It really depends on how the IFA choose to sort their shit out.

Anyway, I noticed this quote from the IFA President:

Martin said: “The IFA board will look at that in due course. Michael is going to be a very hard act to follow. His legacy is more than the team. It’s putting foundations in for our coaching and development. It has to be someone who fits seamlessly into all of that.”

Just as well there's not a really obvious candidate who's recently on record stating his ambition to manage NI, is familiar with their set up, has worked with the current group of players and outgoing manager at a major tournament who would - by all accounts - fit "seamlessly" into their coaching structure and identity.

Oh...

Edited by capt_oats