Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe said:

Didn't David Kelly's 'Well career end after a bust-up with Butcher after the Scottish Cup to defeat to Dunfermline? Wonder if it was a physical or verbal fight.

Aye, it did indeed.  Pretty sure it was 5-1 at the end.  Considering it was David Kelly & Terry Butcher, I'd be astounded if it didn't end up being physical.

On a side note, I'm guessing that the Scotland Belgium friendly last year must be the only international match ever where both managers were former Motherwell players.

There's yer STAT OF THE DAY right there. 

9 minutes ago, Desp said:

Aye, it did indeed.  Pretty sure it was 5-1 at the end.  Considering it was David Kelly & Terry Butcher, I'd be astounded if it didn't end up being physical.

That was the day most fondly remembered for the 'Well fans chanting "Off, Off, Off" after a bad tackle by Derek Adams and mass cheering when it happened #12thMan

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

Harsh on Karl Ready, He was a decent big lump of wid, David Kelly was also decent-ish I thought.

He was slower than a week in jail if I remember correctly. 'Big lump of wood' pretty much describes him accurately. Kelly was absolutely done by the time he was with us. I can only remember him scoring the odd penalty here and there, always struck low to the bottom left hand corner.

45 minutes ago, Swello said:

My abiding memory of the entire Davies "era" and all the stuff after it wasn't the overspending as such - it was the fucking *awful* value we got for the money we overspent. Almost finished the club for absolutely f**k-all in return - we were (apart from the few occasions that the TV cameras were in town), shite.

The season we finished 4th and just missed out on Europe had some absolutely awful matches and our big earners regularly failed to turn up. 

Dundee pumped us 2-0, 3-0 and 4-1, Kilmarnock came to Fir Park around February time having not won in months and beat us 4-0, then a few days later Ayr Utd beat us 4-3 at FP in the Scottish Cup when Neil Tarrant(forgot about him, he was another Davies summer '01 signing) ripped us to shreds. I remember Dundee United also beating us 3-1 at home after they hadn't won in God knows how long and of course the infamous 6-5 loss to Aberdeen. We always seemed to turn up for live SKY games that season though. 

We were spending a fortune, in our terms anyway, on the likes of Goram, Spencer and McCulloch and getting very little in return. That was also the season that McCulloch was linked with a £1M  move to Hearts. 

Edited by MJC

Aye, if I recall Kelly was having a go at Eric Black and it ended up with Terry overhearing it and asking him to repeat it to him.

Allegedly it ended with Kelly pinned against the door of the dressing room getting a right going over.

2 hours ago, MJC said:

Ayr Utd beat us 4-3 at FP in the Scottish Cup when Neil Tarrant(forgot about him, he was another Davies summer '01 signing)

My abiding memory of this game is that their keeper went off for treatment and we didn't manage to score into them when they had ten men, one of whom was an outfield player in goals.

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe said:

My abiding memory of this game is that their keeper went off for treatment and we didn't manage to score into them when they had ten men, one of whom was an outfield player in goals.

That's right, Craig Nelson it was. He was off for a good ten minutes and we couldn't take advantage of it but ironically did score almost as soon as he came back on. That was a farce of a performance from us, as we led 2-1 then 3-2 before losing. That game was just after Shaun Teale left the club under a cloud and Greig Denham, who'd come into the side to replace him had an absolute nightmare.

5 minutes ago, AndyRoss said:

Was carrying an injury ahead of the Aberdeen game, though I sure as to why he’s still not back.

It's likely because hes fairly shite.

50 minutes ago, AndyRoss said:

Was carrying an injury ahead of the Aberdeen game, though I sure as to why he’s still not back.

The last minutes O'Hara got were for the Reserves in the 2-2 draw against St Mirren on October 7th. He had been on the bench on the Saturday previous.

As it stands - and this is true of Sloth as well - our midfield pretty much picks itself. Even if both were fit it's doubtful either would be starting.

You've got Maguire as the back-up for the holding role so if either O'Hara or Sloth are going to get a look in it'll be down to suspension, injury or dip in form for either Polworth or Campbell. Having said that you've also got Jamie Semple pinging them in on a regular basis as an #8 for the Reserves (I think he has something like 5 goals in 7 appearances so far).

You look at our bench in the last couple of games and it's Carson, Tait, Seedorf, Maguire, Ilic, Scott and Mugabi so 1 GK, 2 defenders, 1 midfielder and 3 forwards which is a fairly reasonable balance. If everyone was fit then you'd probably say that Ilic's spot on the bench is probably the only one that's obviously up for grabs IMO.

After all the 12-18 chat last season that became a stick to beat Robinson with, we seem to have got that part properly right this time - by Motherwell standards, we've got a decently balanced squad this year in that there are very few positions where an injury would kill us. When you add to that the fact that Dunne and DT aside, we've not been hit by  the kind of injuries we've suffered from the last few years  (yet) - it means a lot of frustrated players sitting in a trackie looking bored on match days. Like @Archie McSquackle, I had genuinely forgotten that we'd signed O'Hara.

I still find the Sloth one weird though - I can't imagine if all was well that there would be no place on the bench for him at least given his pedigree, regardless of how well the midfield have been doing. For example,  I think it makes sense to have a Campbell replacement on the bench in games when he's been away with U21's...