Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 hours ago, Swello said:

I'm 100% on board with the concept that it's easier to attract players if you've got a track record of shifting them on to more money somewhere else and that we need to sell as part of our business model - but there needs to be a line drawn somewhere. If guys are moving on after 18 months, it's fair play - but if the jungle drums are starting in early November for a guy that's just in the door, that's the wrong side of the line and would have the supporters mutinous pretty quickly. Apart from anything else, Polworth already looks like a difficult guy to replace - so I'd be against it for that reason alone.

We need to strike the balance between the model and being seen as a short term stopping off point where you spend a year and f**k off somewhere better.

Definitely. I mean I fully respect the hustle and like @YassinMoutaouakil unless a team pitches up and pours several large bags of cash on Burrows' desk I doubt someone who's only been in the door 5 mins is likely to be one of the players we'd be actively looking to trade.

There's a quid pro quo that I think most players are going to understand but equally the speculative tabloid clickbait that seems to come as part of the territory with "raising a player's profile" is just massive fucking eye-roll material.

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I noticed Casper wasn't even getting a start for the reserves yesterday. He really has disappeared.

He's around. He's pretty active on IG. He had a pal over to visit and had a IG story up with him getting photos with fans after the game on Saturday. Which was nice.

Edited by capt_oats

I've been impressed with Polworth but it's stiil very early days. I know we all get excited sometimes but I couldn't say at this point that he is definitely going to go on to bigger and better things. He looks like a player but is 25 and there will be a reason why he has been at Inverness for so long. Luckily for us, Robinson seems to be getting the best out of him.

I'm not sure he will be kicking down the door to join bottom half  League 1 dirge like Portsmouth anyway. I'm quite sure they are still crippled financially so won't be offerring much in the way of cash money. Unless someone bigger comes in it sounds a bit of a non-starter to me.

I totally agree with the sentiments on striking a balance between moving players on for a profit versus retaining them long enough to benefit the team. This was the main thing that pissed me off over the Hastie situation (albeit it was somewhat out of our control)

We have a good track record of being fair with players and providing a platform for them to show their worth and let them move on. With respect I'd like to think that players that fall into this bracket have slightly higher ambitiions.

He was made redundant following administration. Spent most of his time with the club doing punditry on La Liga game for Sky. 

Eric Black was the manager after Davies, with Butcher his assistant - Butcher's role in his demise here is a bit overstated...

24 minutes ago, BendtnerBairn said:

One for you lads...

It always amuses me that, thanks to his somewhat successful managerial career since, people forget he was absolutely shite as a footballer. 

10 minutes ago, Desp said:

It always amuses me that, thanks to his somewhat successful managerial career since, people forget he was absolutely shite as a footballer. 

He didn't have any sort of pedigree when arriving did he? 

How did he end up doing Sky in the first place? I've just looked and he played one game with Zaragoza.

Edited by AndyRoss

10 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

He was fuckin' rotten.

He turned up at Dundee United - Motherwell on the last day of the season game after that St Mirren disaster when Paul Keegan played up top and we chucked a two goal lead.

Couple of older boy were remarking "There's Bobby Martinez!" to which he gave a friendly wave collecting comps, before some other boy, much louder than he intended, muttered "Aye, he was fuckin shite".

Bobby didn't look pleased.

He was just one of a batch of awful signings made by Billy Davies shortly before his sacking. There was him, Karl Ready, Andy Dow, Eddie Forrest and 35/36 year old David Kelly. He was good a penalties though.

I don't really remember any of his performances. Jordi Cruyff turning up pre-season to Cliftonhill in his Bentley to watch him was very surreal though. Not even sure if Martinez played that day.

I have to admit I'm guilty of telling that story any time his name comes up as it's my only real memory of him.

I've always found it weird how we "had" to cut our cloth during the 2000/01 season when we got rid of Brannan, McMillan, Spencer, McCulloch, Goodman and Goram in a short space of time, yet then let Davies sign his summer dross, before allowing Black to then sign Dirk Lehmann and five Frenchmen. It's no wonder we ended up in administration when you think about it really!

Didn't David Kelly's 'Well career end after a bust-up with Butcher after the Scottish Cup to defeat to Dunfermline? Wonder if it was a physical or verbal fight.

On a side note, I'm guessing that the Scotland Belgium friendly last year must be the only international match ever where both managers were former Motherwell players.

35 minutes ago, MJC said:

He was just one of a batch of awful signings made by Billy Davies shortly before his sacking. There was him, Karl Ready, Andy Dow, Eddie Forrest and 35/36 year old David Kelly. He was good a penalties though.

Harsh on Karl Ready, He was a decent big lump of wid, David Kelly was also decent-ish I thought.

My abiding memory of the entire Davies "era" and all the stuff after it wasn't the overspending as such - it was the fucking *awful* value we got for the money we overspent. Almost finished the club for absolutely f**k-all in return - we were (apart from the few occasions that the TV cameras were in town), shite.

4 minutes ago, nsr said:

Is Karl Ready still playing at an amateur level in order to claim his 30 pieces of silver from us?

Dunno, but this is quite amusing: https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/blast-from-the-past-no36-karl-ready-112653553.html

See also: https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/members/queensparkrangers/forum/172359/2324005/karl-ready--help-required/, which can be summarised as "he wasn't as bad as Bob Malcolm".

Edited by Gallus Numpty