Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Following on from that earlier post here are Moult's goals in his first season in the spoiler...because it's a wild Saturday night for me.

Spoiler

1. vs St Johnstone - 22/08/15
giphy.gif

2. vs East Fife - 25/08/15
giphy.gif

3. vs Killie - 29/08/15
giphy.gif

4. vs Ross County 12/09/15
giphy.gif

5. vs Morton 22/09/16
giphy.gif

6. vs Kilmarnock 31/10/15
giphy.gif

7. vs ICT 7/11/15
giphy.gif

8. vs Hearts 28/11/15
giphy.gif

9. vs Dundee 12/12/15
giphy.gif

10. vs Celtic 19/12/15
giphy.gif

11. vs Celtic 19/12/15
giphy.gif

12. vs Accies 02/01/16
giphy.gif

13. vs Cove 09/01/16
giphy.gif

14. vs St Johnstone 20/02/16
giphy.gif

15. vs Partick Thistle 27/02/16
giphy.gif

16. vs Partick Thistle 27/02/16
giphy.gif

17. vs Dundee United 11/03/16
giphy.gif

18. vs Aberdeen 19/03/16
giphy.gif

Tbh, even moving away from Moult specifically: looking at these goals it's quite a nice reminder of - as @Casagolda says in the opening post of this very thread - what a good job McGhee actually did turning the team around that season what with it being our last top 6 finish and all.

It's just a shame he had to monumentally f**k it the following season.

Edited by capt_oats

I actually liked Josh Law but he epitomised what we'd become during the end of McCall's tenure.
Signed for no other reason than he was Nicky Law's brother. Started as an attacking player before somehow ending up at right back. He always tried which is why I liked him but he was way out of his depth.

We focused on having the best XI that we could and then had utter muck as back up.
You only need to look at the level some of the players are playing at now to see that.
Josh Law is at Basford United in the English Northern Premier League, Fraser Kerr is at Hartlepool and Adam Cummins is a gym instructor/part time at Stranraer. Throw in Lee Hollis who is turning out in junior football, having not played professional beyond his 28th birthday.

1 hour ago, Mitch said:

We focused on having the best XI that we could and then had utter muck as back up.
You only need to look at the level some of the players are playing at now to see that.
Josh Law is at Basford United in the English Northern Premier League, Fraser Kerr is at Hartlepool and Adam Cummins is a gym instructor/part time at Stranraer. Throw in Lee Hollis who is turning out in junior football, having not played professional beyond his 28th birthday.

Remember we finished 2nd in the league with Lee Hollis as our no.1 and Gunnar Neilsen as back-up? :lol: 

Halycon days. 

4 minutes ago, Desp said:

Remember we finished 2nd in the league with Lee Hollis as our no.1 and Gunnar Neilsen as back-up? :lol: 

Halycon days. 

And Craig Reid as the last day hero.

That was a strange season that one. We were largely shite and awful to watch yet were strangely consistent in the league. It was probably the start of the decline of Stuart McCall before it really fell to pieces a year later and we had John Sutton's goals which dragged us through many a poor match and got us the points although we did have some absolutely awful performances and results. That 0-4 Dundee United loss at Fir Park around November time where we were lucky to get nil and lucky to only concede four, plus Celtic took five off us on a Friday night game in the snow and losing 3-2 at St.Mirren having been 2-0 up were painful ones. How that team managed to pick up enough points to never mind finish top six but second that season was and still is a mystery.

The Cups were awful that season, even by Motherwell and Stuart McCall standards...losing 2-0 to ten man Aberdeen in the QF of the league cup when Celtic and Rangers were already out was painful stuff, but yet so typical of us. Then we contrived to lose to Albion fucking Rovers a few weeks later in the Scottish Cup. 

12 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

You can really see the evolution of the cockiness in those celebrations as well :lol:

It's quite interesting to look at his goals in chronological order and watch the evolution. He had a surgery at the start of the 16/17 season after the Annan game. Confirmation bias perhaps but you definitely see him starting to score different types of goals.

Spoiler

19. vs Annan 23/07/16
giphy.gif

20. vs Annan 23/07/16
giphy.gif

21. vs Ross County 10/09/16
giphy.gif

22 vs Accies 17/09/16
giphy.gif

23 vs Accies 17/09/16
giphy.gif

24 vs Accies 17/09/16
giphy.gif

25 vs Accies 17/09/16
giphy.gif

26 vs Thistle 26/11/16
giphy.gif

27 vs Celtic 03/12/16
giphy.gif

28 vs Celtic 03/12/16
giphy.gif

29 vs Accies 31/12/16
giphy.gif

30 vs Rangers 21/01/17
giphy.gif

31 vs Ross County 31/01/17
giphy.gif

32 vs Dundee 25/02/17
giphy.gif

33 vs Rangers 01/04/17
giphy.gif

34 vs ICT 15/04/17
giphy.gif

35 vs Dundee 29/04/17
giphy.gif

36 vs Accies 13/05/17
giphy.gif

And for the sake of being completist here's 17/18

Spoiler

37 vs Queens Park 15/07/17
giphy.gif

38 vs Morton 22/07/17
giphy.gif

39 vs Ross County 19/08/17
giphy.gif

40 vs Hearts 26/08/17
giphy.gif

41 vs Kilmarnock 09/09/17
giphy.gif

42 vs Hibs 16/09/17
giphy.gif

43 vs Hibs 16/09/17
giphy.gif

44 vs Aberdeen 21/09/17
giphy.gif

45 vs Aberdeen 21/09/17
giphy.gif

46 vs Rangers 22/10/17
giphy.gif

47 vs Rangers 22/10/17
giphy.gif

48 vs Ross County 04/11/17
giphy.gif

49 vs Aberdeen 18/11/17
giphy.gif

50 vs Aberdeen 18/11/17
giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats

Two soft and avoidable goals today I’m hearing? Shocked. 

I was expecting a morale-sapping pumping to be fair so we exceeded my expectations. However just like the penalty miss last week, as soon as I seen Defoe got one right before half time you knew exactly how this was going to end. 

We seem to have developed a horrible habit this season of shipping avoidable goals at absolutely terrible times. It’s frustrating because at times we look capable of being a really good team and it feels like the top 6 and even the fight for Europe is wide open. However there’s a naivety about us that I fear will hold us back this season. 

Big week coming up now, probably too early to call it season defining but it does feel like we’ll know a lot more about where our season is headed by this time next week. 

That's 9 penalties in 11 games against Premiership opposition so far. We're surely on course for some sort of record.

Livi- 0 conceded, 0 won
Celtic- 1 conceded, 0 won
Hearts (LC)- 2 conceded, 0 won
Hamilton- 1 conceded, 1 won
Hibs - 0 conceded, 1 won
Hearts- 0 conceded, 0 won
Ross County- 0 conceded, 0 won
St Johnstone 1 conceded, 0 won
St Mirren 0 conceded, 0 won
Aberdeen- 0 conceded, 1 won
Rangers- 1 conceded, 0 won

It's the hope that kills ye eh? We managed long spells of the game very well and our goal was rarely threatened. 

Tavernier taking the corner that led to the winning goal seemed to catch us a bit off guard and Helander had too much room to head home. 

I've noticed a wee bit of a movement towards Trevor Carson getting a turn in goal and up until now felt there was no reasonable case for this happening, but their first today isn't great at all - he's maybe seen it late, but to punch it in the direction he does is a shocker. On top of that I can't recall one goal-kick not sailing right out for a Rangers throw.  He's an excellent shot-stopper and his performances have ensured we've not really missed a keeper who was outstanding in his first season and a half with us, but I think that now it must be close to the point where Robinson considers a change.

Fair few positives today though, especially Mugabi who I thought was tremendous. It felt like it was a game that we just had to get through without a hiding, getting the first goal and going on to lose it a tough one to take, but saw enough to think we can still have a good week.  

Edited by AndyRoss

3 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Two soft and avoidable goals today I’m hearing? Shocked. 

I was expecting a morale-sapping pumping to be fair so we exceeded my expectations. However just like the penalty miss last week, as soon as I seen Defoe got one right before half time you knew exactly how this was going to end. 

We seem to have developed a horrible habit this season of shipping avoidable goals at absolutely terrible times. It’s frustrating because at times we look capable of being a really good team and it feels like the top 6 and even the fight for Europe is wide open. However there’s a naivety about us that I fear will hold us back this season. 

Big week coming up now, probably too early to call it season defining but it does feel like we’ll know a lot more about where our season is headed by this time next week. 

Pretty much.

Looking at Rangers home record:

• Hibs: 6-1 (W)
  • Celtic 0-2 (L)
  • Livingston 3-1 (W)
  • Aberdeen 5-0 (W)
  • Accies 5-0 (W)

It's fair to say my expectations were low given our last visit there saw us pumped 7-1 (albeit with 10 men and Craig Thomson refereeing). NGL I had today marked as a routine 3 or 4-0 for them.

On the plus side for us we're 10 games in having almost played a full round of fixtures, sitting 4th, a point off 3rd (8 points off the play-off spot) with a + GD (just) and have managed 4 clean sheets. So far we've only failed to score in 2 fixtures in all competitions. We're still ahead of where I'd imagined we'd be and there are only a couple of games that we haven't been competitive in - which is nice.

Also, going to 3 at the back and doing it quite well was a bit of a curveball. I don't think I'd have been alone in having a concern that we'd just pitch up at Ibrox with the 433 and get taken to bits trying to go toe to toe with Rangers. It also raises the question of whether there might be more value in getting Cole and Long on the pitch together than 2 of the 3 wide players + one of Cole or Long.

Having a viable alternative to the 433 and being able to execute it reasonably well away at a venue like Ibrox is probably a good thing.

Having said all that looking at the league games we've lost;

• Celtic 2-5
  • Ross County 1-2
  • Aberdeen 0-3
  • Rangers 2-1

On the face of it 2 of the 4 would normally have been predicted losses and only the County game really sticks out (with all due respect to County). The kicker is that 3 of those 4 we've had the lead in but conceded either just before H/T or inside the last 10 mins (or both in the case of Celtic and Rangers). Along with when we're conceding we're giving teams an easy route back into games with the soft goals we're conceding. Which is obviously problematic.

I'm curious as to how we actually address the issue though.

That first goal, that’s exactly the sort of thing I’m talking about. 

We’re a goal up away from home, our own free  kick 20 yards inside the opposition half, a minute to go to half time and we conspire to lose a goal. Ridiculous stuff, whether it’s Ibrox or Cliftonhill. 

As @AndyRoss says, it is also very poor from Gillespie. By my count that’s now the 3rd time this season he’s sold the jerseys right on half time- Today, Hearts in the cup and home to Celtic. Also feel he should have done better at Ross County’s 2nd and Hearts 2nd at Tynecastle. 

Never been in the bring back Carson camp myself, mainly because Gillespie had done little to merit being dropped. However, I don’t think it’s unfair to say he’s not looked as reliable as last season and while I think he’s probably still a bit away from being dropped, I’d be surprised if the thought wasn’t beginning to at least cross Robinson’s mind.