Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Aye it's mental. I mean, with the amount of corners we had last night I reckon he'd have got on the scoresheet a couple of times, and as much as it would have been nice to see him have a 200% goals to games ratio, i'd still rather he was kept as far away from that shit-show as possible.

Some on here appear to be taking some sort of moral high ground....certainly appears the case. 

I am happy to admit (as I went to the game last night) that I was hoping to see Gallacher get capped and was fairly pissed off that he did not. Are Devlin and Findlay that much better players ? Is it too wide of the mark to think that Findlay started last night because if the team Clarke managed before Scotland.  

I will hardly lose sleep over it but I would rather see a Motherwell player capped over any other team. 

I'm pleased he didn't play. I want him as fit and as focused as he can be on playing for us and not running the risk of picking up injury whilst playing for another team and potentially attracting interest from would be buyers. 

18 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Some on here appear to be taking some sort of moral high ground....certainly appears the case. 

I am happy to admit (as I went to the game last night) that I was hoping to see Gallacher get capped and was fairly pissed off that he did not. Are Devlin and Findlay that much better players ? Is it too wide of the mark to think that Findlay started last night because if the team Clarke managed before Scotland.  

I will hardly lose sleep over it but I would rather see a Motherwell player capped over any other team. 

At the moment, probably not.  But let's be fair the other players, they've been performing to a high level, in teams at the top end of the league, for a good couple of years.  Findlay will be a player Clarke knows well and trusts implicitly from their time at Kilmarnock, and both players have already been in a few squads under the manager.  So I understand why they are ahead of Gallagher at this moment of time.

Am I fussed that our player didn't get a game against San Marino when there was more chance of him being injured, thanks to the conditions on the pitch, than being tested by the worst team in the world?  Nope, not in the slightest.

I'm sure Gallagher will be back at Fir Park absolutely buzzing after being away with the national team.  That can only be a good thing for Motherwell.  I'm sure if he continues with the form he's in, he'll get his chance at some point. 

Findlay was excellent for Killie last season when they finished 3rd under Clarke. He’s also been part of a defence that has kept 6 clean sheets in their last 7 games this season as well. He thoroughly merited a chance and to insinuate otherwise is nonsense. 

I’d say you could certainly argue that based on form this season, that Gallagher should have got the nod ahead of Devlin. However Devlin’s a good couple of years younger than Gallagher who’ll be 29 shortly. So that may well have came into Clake’s long term thinking. 

Plus, it’s hardly like it would have made a great deal of difference to the outcome of either game so it’s not exactly worth getting worked up about. 

Last two posts sum it up for me. 

We seem to have a load of centre halves at a similar level at the moment and a 24 year old the manager knows well, rather than a 28 year old he doesn't, makes you perfectly understand why Findlay gets the nod over Gallagher at the moment.

It took injuries to McKenna, Souttar, Cooper, Hanley, Halkett and for Berra to be heading to the glue factory for Gallagher to get his call up so it'd be pretty optimistic to think he'd just be strolling into a starting XI. He was drafted into the squad for cover and as @Desp rightly says he'll no doubt be buzzing to have been part of the squad.

I saw a Tweet earlier from a guy suggesting that it was a "waste of his time, would have been better with the rest of the Motherwell boys training." I mean...fucking hell.

It's not like he's spent the week training with actual EPL players including a European Cup winner. Regardless of the perceived deficiencies and limitations of the National Team at the moment it's a wild shout to suggest that he'd have been better off cutting about Dalziel Park rather than training with guys currently at Liverpool, Man Utd, Villa etc.

Also, presumably that week has given Clarke a chance to get a proper look at him so depending on how he's applied and conducted himself he may well remain in contention especially as Mikey Devlin's hardly known for remaining injury-free.

Would it have been good for him and the club if he'd got a run out? Absolutely.

Is it worth indignant reply guys getting furious on behalf of him and the club? Probably not.

Edited by capt_oats

I don’t disagree with any of the POV from the posts above.
For me it was Devlin and not Findlay he perhaps should have started ahead of. Devlin was part of a 4-0 defeat previous game.

My disappointment probably stems from the fact that he may not get a better chance to get a cap. McKenna will be back  for the November games and Findlay will still be ahead of Gallacher one assumes, given it was probably the easiest International game to make your debut in as a defender.  

Hopefully he can take out any frustration my MOM performance v Dons this weekend. 

27 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I bought a season ticket but I'd probably have went for a flexi if they were available at the time tbh

There's your answer to the multiple questions on Twitter of, "Why weren't these available at the start of the season?" 

14 hours ago, welldaft said:

11 hours ago, welldaft said:

I don’t disagree with any of the POV from the posts above.
For me it was Devlin and not Findlay he perhaps should have started ahead of. Devlin was part of a 4-0 defeat previous game.

My disappointment probably stems from the fact that he may not get a better chance to get a cap. McKenna will be back  for the November games and Findlay will still be ahead of Gallacher one assumes, given it was probably the easiest International game to make your debut in as a defender.  

Hopefully he can take out any frustration my MOM performance v Dons this weekend. 

As other have said I think Findlay maybe better, at least as good as. Devlin I am not convinced by at all yet.
I wanted him to play on Sunday too. I wasn't surprised or bothered in the least when he wasn't picked. As @capt_oats says, there is about 7 players ahead of him.

22 hours ago, welldaft said:

I wouldn't say the moral high ground, but more that I'm more interested in how Motherwell are doing rather than how Scotland are. I get that for Declan it'd be magic for him to get a cap and fair play to him for it, but I'm on the other side of you. Do I want our centre half running about in massive puddles on a Sunday night in a fairly unimportant game, potentially injuring himself and at the very least putting another game into his legs on what will hopefully be a long season?

Nah. I want him heedering away Aberdonians on Saturday and outjumping Mikey Devlin at a corner.

On 14/10/2019 at 11:08, welldaft said:

Also meant to say...Welcome to MFC P&B. That's what happens here.