Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I wonder what the original plan for the midfield was. Suppose it depends on whether or not we were always planning on punting #DT7 this window, given we signed Sloth before the Turnbull debacle unfolded. Sloth's pedigree probably suggests we brought him in for the starting eleven, but equally I doubt Polworth turned down Accies and St Johnstone to be second choice at Motherwell.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

3 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I wonder what the original plan for the midfield was. Suppose it depends on whether or not we were always planning on punting #DT7 this window, given we signed Sloth before the Turnbull debacle unfolded. Sloth's pedigree probably suggests we brought him in for the starting eleven, but equally I doubt we fought Accies and St Johnstone off for Polworth to use him as back up initially. 

I assumed Donnelly was the "surprise" and that we would have had Campbell/Sloth/Polworth as our original first choice..

9 minutes ago, Swello said:

I assumed Donnelly was the "surprise" and that we would have had Campbell/Sloth/Polworth as our original first choice..

That's how I imagined it too.

If you go back to Robinson's interview pre-Livi at the end of last season he specifically talks about the player we were due to be announcing in terms of Gorrin and McHugh leaving and described him as an "important" signing for us. The player turned out to be Sloth when everyone thought we were just going confirm Fané who had been training with us.

At the same time he also talks about wanting to try Donnelly in midfield.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

Sloth is pretty active on Instagram.

I find that a bit wierd.

In fairness he's cutting about in the background of the short interviews that went out on the socials recently so it doesn't seem to be an 'injury' thing and like yourself I follow him on IG and noticed that he had a photo of him in Aarhus posted on the 20th September which was the day before the County game. Which seemed weird at the time.

That said he was back playing for the Reserves on the 23rd and clearly the photo could have been taken at any time.

(Now that's yer proper stalker patter).

Edited by capt_oats

Definitely something not quite right about the whole Sloth situation.

I get the comparisons with big Ally Gorrin last year but he was still in every squad and featured fairly regularly during the 1st half of the season- when he wasn’t injured. Even if he didn’t actually contributed much till post winter break. 

You'd argue he’s now 6th choice after Maguire’s performance on Saturday(7th if you include Turnbull). I don’t know what I was really expecting from Maguire but it certainly wasn’t that.

He showed an awareness, a composure and an ability to glide forward with the ball I never knew he had. 

About 4:35 on these highlights was the only instance of it I could find but it was something he done 3 or 4 times on Saturday to great effect to open up the game for us.  

Edited by Casagolda

1 minute ago, Casagolda said:

About 4:35 on these highlights was the only instance of it I could find but it was something he done 3 or 4 times on Saturday to great effect to open up the game for us.  

This was such an odd period of play, as Hartley, Gillespie, Hartley again and then Maguire did what looked like incredibly awkward and edgy things, but then as it turned out was all well within what they were capable of.

Caught most of the Hearts/Killie game this week which was the first time I'd seen extended Killie play, but I was struck how comfortable all of their backline was on the ball, and it's something which is standing out for me with us at the moment as well. From where we were last year when everything went route one to Main and Bad News Bowman, to this year when we're playing what are essentially three centre-halfs (Hartley, Gallagher and Donnelly/Maguire) without our best footballer even in training, what was essentially our second choice keeper looking fucking brilliant, and our newest collection of waifs and strays (which I say with nothing but affection), it is a proper testament to how much work the management team have done. Super impressive.

8 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

I was at the away game at Dumbarton where he played in that role and he was doing similar stuff - and as someone that had only seen him as a defender, it was a bit of a revelation (even though it was against lower league opposition). The main thing that came out of Saturday to me was that our midfield has much more strength and depth than any of us thought in the summer considering that Sloth, O'Hara and (obviously) Turnbull haven't contributed yet.

Tbh, with Maguire when you're talking about turning a nominal centre half into a midfielder as a concept the expectation is probably McGhee's less than successful experiment with Louis Laing. To have him strolling around the park like a Bellshill Busquets is quite frankly something that you love to see.

As @thisGRAEME says the extent to which players seem to be taking on board what's being asked of them is massively down to the level of coaching and presumably buy in from the players themselves. The comparison with Killie under Alessio is interesting as I remember McFadden talking after the Aberdeen LC quarter-final and he was highlighting the extent to which Robinson focussed on shape (in more positive terms than Broadfoot it should be said).

Edited by capt_oats

I see both Barnsley & Sunderland have binned their managers today.  I wonder if Robinson will be appearing on either shortlist in the near future.

Looking at Barnsley in particular, they've gone down the "Moneyball" road, investing in young hungry players who'll ideally bring in a substantial return.  You could argue that by being in the Championship, they're punching above their weight at the minute.  It's a job description that Robinson has shown he can succeed at while at Fir Park. 

As much as Sunderland are an absolute basket case of a football club, it would take a strong man to turn down the wages on offer there, on top of having the opportunity to be the one who gets them back on track. 

Being a Motherwell fan is something init.

Things look good and certain players are doing well? Bang! Shitey bids and players leave. Start all over again.

Managers plans taking shape and lookig good? Pow! He's off to Chestertingtonsley and we start again.

Let's just win the Scottish Cup.

18 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Being a Motherwell fan is something init.

Things look good and certain players are doing well? Bang! Shitey bids and players leave. Start all over again.

Managers plans taking shape and lookig good? Pow! He's off to Chestertingtonsley and we start again.

Let's just win the Scottish Cup.

I'd be quite surprised if he left tbh. Unless it's a truly life-changing sum of money (is that likely from either or any potential suitors?), surely he's better placed to kick around with us, be great and then take the NI job when O'Neill leaves?