Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Looking forward to him going back with carrots.

I asked him the questions for the kids Q&A for the programme this week (a child set the questions, I asked them...honest). One of the questions was what is his favourite animal, he replied 'a horse, as they remind me of myself when they gallop.' What a guy!

Edited by AndyRoss
typo

2 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Appreciate that. It was about to become a 3000 word tome before I remembered what it was for. I loved it.

Aye. I went down a rabbit hole the other day after listening to the Sportsound interview and there were loads of great moments in a very short period of time.

I think coming after an era of McCall and McGhee forelock-tugging watching a Motherwell side going out battering folk in full IDGAF mode was, in no uncertain terms, a great laugh. Robinson getting chippy going full mic drop about Caixinha in a press conference was magic.

1372024092_ScreenShot2019-10-04at13_20_56.png.078a63e4b5835f421a376de1062c1ffd.png

10 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Aye. I went down a rabbit hole the other day after listening to the Sportsound interview and there were loads of great moments in a very short period of time.

I think coming after an era of McCall and McGhee forelock-tugging watching a Motherwell side going out battering folk in full IDGAF mode was, in no uncertain terms, a great laugh. Robinson getting chippy going full mic drop about Caixinha in a press conference was magic.

1372024092_ScreenShot2019-10-04at13_20_56.png.078a63e4b5835f421a376de1062c1ffd.png

Aye. When you look at the sheer number of bodies we brought in (14!) after the absolute shit show that Zak Jules wandering around drilling holes in all our lifeboats for the end of the previous season, then getting fucking pumped off St. Johnstone and ending up with 8 men, to Cedric Kipre swanning about bodying folk out of existence, big Bad News Bowman turning into some wonderful goal-making-pole, Louis Moult being a dreamboat and playing a bunch of kids at the same time...

Yeah. Proper best of times great fun to watch stuff for me.

To be expected in a "make the player feel valued"-type way but I noticed a quote from Robinson in McGarry's bit with Cole in the Evening Times saying that we're open to extending. Again, it's hardly a surprise given it's only a 6 month deal he's on and he's only recently got his first goal and a handful of regular starts but (I could be wrong here) he feels like someone who's maybe taken a bit of persuading to get to the club.

“This is only the start for Devante. We’ve got him until Christmas and we’d like to do something maybe longer if it works for both parties, but let’s see how he goes.”

Given we bloody love a good hype-train I've found the low-keyness around Cole's first few months at the club quite interesting considering he's someone we've brought in from an English Championship side.

As an aside, I hadn't realised that Cole and Long had played together at Fleetwood.

347211807_ScreenShot2019-10-05at10_50_52.png.d0fca02ca4ec00d69d1d2c443bdc4643.png

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

To be expected in a "make the player feel valued"-type way but I noticed a quote from Robinson in McGarry's bit with Cole in the Evening Times saying that we're open to extending. Again, it's hardly a surprise given it's only a 6 month deal he's on and he's only recently got his first goal and a handful of regular starts but (I could be wrong here) he feels like someone who's maybe taken a bit of persuading to get to the club.

Given we bloody love a good hype-train I've found the low-keyness around Cole's first few months at the club quite interesting considering he's someone we've brought in from an English Championship side.

As an aside, I hadn't realised that Cole and Long had played together at Fleetwood.

347211807_ScreenShot2019-10-05at10_50_52.png.d0fca02ca4ec00d69d1d2c443bdc4643.png

What was Chris Long thinking with that haircut?

Were we not linked to the boy Dykes at one point last season?

Having watched Livi today and against Rangers in the cup a few weeks back, he’s been an absolute stand out and given both defences a torrid time. He looks ideal for the lone striker role at this level. 

Can’t win them all I suppose but I reckon he would have fitted in nicely for us. 

Edited by Casagolda

46 minutes ago, Swello said:

Dykes looks as much a Robinson style player as you're ever likely to see - and we were linked with him....

If things keep going the way they are then I don't expect Robinson to be with us much longer. I expect Hearts to be looking for a new manager before too long and possibly Hibs too. Maybe even add Aberdeen into the mix soon too if we beat them in a couple of weeks time. Robinson is bound to be linked with any jobs going at those clubs.

25 minutes ago, MJC said:

If things keep going the way they are then I don't expect Robinson to be with us much longer. I expect Hearts to be looking for a new manager before too long and possibly Hibs too. Maybe even add Aberdeen into the mix soon too if we beat them in a couple of weeks time. Robinson is bound to be linked with any jobs going at those clubs.

You will be glad then..Few weeks ago you wanted rid

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Dykes looks as much a Robinson style player as you're ever likely to see - and we were linked with him....

My thoughts exactly. 

Still, can’t really quibble with our domestic recruitment this summer. If St Johnstone had pipped us to Gallagher and Polworth, I imagine both clubs start to the season could have been very different. Swings and roundabouts. 

I can kind of understand why Gallagher’s shall we say, past indiscretions might have gone against him. However I still find it hard to believe we were the best offer he had on the table. He looks like he’s strolling through most games, his mazy dribble and cut back to Cole yesterday was far beyond anything you’d expect for a centre back at our level. 

Polworth seemed to unfairly get tagged with an almost Vigurs-esque reputation of being technically gifted but a bit lazy by our support early doors. However even watching the highlights back yesterday, that couldn’t be further from the truth. Not only was he at the heart of almost every attack, the ground he was covering was exceptional. Just look at him bursting forward for the two counter attacks 1st half from St Mirren corners. 

Also, at 2-0 up and in injury time, when Tait was caught 2 on 1 down the left he was bursting a gut to sprint back and cover. Maybe not that important in the grand scheme of things, however it flys in the face of the whole he doesn’t do anything when we don’t have the ball criticism.

If only he could finish... 

Edited by Casagolda

4 minutes ago, wellinwigan said:

You will be glad then..Few weeks ago you wanted rid

I did yes, as did a fair few Motherwell fans. After the poor start to the season culminating in the Hearts league cup debacle where we looked utterly hopeless and there were serious and completely justified questions over the summer signings then it was only natural that I and others were saying it was time up for the manager. Since then he and the team have largely redeemed themselves and it is only natural that Hearts would be looking at our manager should they be needing to replace Levein. If I'm honest I don't really know how I'd feel about Robinson moving on as we're always going to lose manager and players to bigger clubs, my bigger concern would be that we would simply hand the job to Lasley should he move, as I don't think that would be of any benefit to us whatsoever. I suppose should he go, Robinson may well want Lasley to go with him mind you.

37 minutes ago, MJC said:

After the poor start to the season culminating in the Hearts league cup debacle

We'd strolled through the league cup where practically all our peers had difficulties and we'd been beaten by Celtic - the only folk that were calling for his head were the ones still raging that he had turned it round in the 2nd half of last season...