Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

27 minutes ago, Desp said:

Genuine question here, but when was the last time (prior to Scott McKenna) that we had a regular Scotland centre-half who plied his trade in our top flight (excluding Celtic & Rangers)?  Pressley when he was at Hearts?   

4 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

I honestly can't even think of one outside Pressley. Davie Weir before he left Hearts got a few caps, but not someone you'd describe as regular, eh? 

Berra when he came back to Hearts?

7 caps in 2017 apparently ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by capt_oats

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

Berra when he came back to Hearts?

Ah yes.

All of this makes it even stranger that Halkett wasn't called up before his knee fell off.

Scottish Centre-Half, playing for Rangers/Celtic/Hearts: You're capped.

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

Ah yes.

All of this makes it even stranger that Halkett wasn't called up before his knee fell off.

Scottish Centre-Half, playing for Rangers/Celtic/Hearts: You're capped.

I think the Scotland Manager Defender Picking Tool looks like:  English Prem > OF > English Champ > Hearts/Aberdeen > Anyone else in England with tenuous family links to Scotland  >  did a job for me at previous club >  Other SPFL

20 minutes ago, Swello said:

I think the Scotland Manager Defender Picking Tool looks like:  English Prem > OF > English Champ > Hearts/Aberdeen > Anyone else in England with tenuous family links to Scotland  >  did a job for me at previous club >  Other SPFL

Tbf, I saw folk losing their mind at Charlie Mulgrew getting called up, which I found odd as he's probably the only experienced centre-half we have. If he was playing up here he'd be strolling about, casually knocking through a twenty deck a game in-between battering in free-kicks IMO.

2 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I attended Scotland games regularly for a brief spell in the mid to late 2000s. I think the closest I've ever came to an extistential breakdown was watching Darren Barr make his international debut.

I witnessed Gary Teale take to a football pitch wearing a Scotland strip when he wasn’t playing down the park. One of the things that you can’t un-see. 

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

Tbf, I saw folk losing their mind at Charlie Mulgrew getting called up, which I found odd as he's probably the only experienced centre-half we have. If he was playing up here he'd be strolling about, casually knocking through a twenty deck a game in-between battering in free-kicks IMO.

Don't dare suggest these guys are better than Gallagher though. The MFC fans on twitter will be in your mentions for hours.

13 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

He really wouldn't.  Statements like that is like almost as bad as the guys that state Hanley helped Norwich getting to the Premier League makes him good (he played like 6 games).  

3 hours ago, Antiochas III said:

He really wouldn't.  Statements like that is like almost as bad as the guys that state Hanley helped Norwich getting to the Premier League makes him good (he played like 6 games).  

Oh don't get me wrong, I think Hanley is absolute garbage. It isn't an immediate 'well they're down south so they're good' take here, I just really like Mulgrew.

Fair enough if I'm talking shite, I'm just not sure there's a better experienced alternative.

2 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Oh don't get me wrong, I think Hanley is absolute garbage. It isn't an immediate 'well they're down south so they're good' take here, I just really like Mulgrew.

Fair enough if I'm talking shite, I'm just not sure there's a better experienced alternative.

Mulgrew at 28 (Dec's age) was a far superior player than anything we have available now but he's not thst age now and if we can't throw caps at new players hoping they can do the basics  against San Marino then we're in even more trouble.  

Scotland National Side for the last 20 years has been literally Einstein's definition of insanity.   

As a Motherwell fan who is not a Scotland fan I'm more than happy with Gallagher, or any of our players for that matter not playing for Scotland. Obviously it would be a feather in the cap for the player himself, but from a Motherwell point of view I'd prefer our players not to have the distraction of international football where there is the risk of them picking up injuries and also gives them more exposure to bigger clubs which would make keeping them at Fir Park more difficult.

What I would say though is that Declan Gallagher is a stronger contender for a call up than Mark Reynolds ever was. The howling and greetin' about his exclusion back in the day on steelmenonline and FPC was always amusing.

Thoroughly recommend downloading the podcast for last nights Sportsound- not something I thought I’d ever say.  

Robinson was on and they spent a good 20 minutes talking through his spell as Motherwell manager in a fair bit of detail. Was an interesting listen with some decent insight as to how and why he’s done what he’s done.

Also mentions at one point that we looked at but couldn’t afford Shankland this summer. Which whilst not surprising, should at least enlighten the- I can’t believe no top flight team was willing to take a punt on him- brigade. 

4 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Thoroughly recommend downloading the podcast for last nights Sportsound- not something I thought I’d ever say.  

Robinson was on and they spent a good 20 minutes talking through his spell as Motherwell manager in a fair bit of detail. Was an interesting listen with some decent insight as to how and why he’s done what he’s done.

Also mentions at one point that we looked at but couldn’t afford Shankland this summer. Which whilst not surprising, should at least enlighten the- I can’t believe no top flight team was willing to take a punt on him- brigade. 

That's a cracking listen.

There's loads of stuff in there that we probably already knew from previous interviews but the 'career' overview was interesting.

Probably the last 'in-depth' interviews with Robinson that I listened to were pre-Cup Final when he spoke to the MFC Podcast and Sportsound so there's been a fair bit happened since then for example Currie kind of pressed on the point that this time last season we were sat on 4 points and Robinson's comments about watching us from the stand and the catalyst to change the style.

I'm into him not apologising for the Thunderdome era tbh. He points out we got to two cup finals playing that way and that it was 'exciting' to watch which is fair, when it was happening and working us chucking hammers and bodies around was a great laugh. He's also right to point out that is wasn't sustainable.

it's always interesting (to me) to hear the recruitment profile stuff, what we look for and how we go about it. Ross pretty much echoed his points earlier in the year when he was on the Podcast and was talking about making sure players are 'coachable'. In turn we're looking for players who are coachable and want to be here.

Corrigan had already touched on the level of detail in the press a couple of weeks ago but Robinson confirming the level of detail continues to be impressive. We've got Foyle (and Corrigan) watching players 3 and 4 times then Robinson's down on Tuesdays and Wednesdays watching players based on the brief.

Tbh, it's actually a clear reinforcement of what's needed to make the model  we have work especially when you look back at recruitment over the years. Foyle was Head of Recruitment when McGhee was here but the results between then and Robinson's tenure are night and day. Yes, last summer didn't really work out initially but Gillespie and Donnelly are now fixtures in the side while Ally Gorrin and Tam Aldred were absolutely fine.

McGhee's windows brought in Heneghan, Tait, McHugh, Bowman and Frear who all went on to be varying degrees of decent/good but left us in a relegation scrap that leading to McGhee getting his jotters. Arguably all of them improved under Robinson, less so under McGhee.

We've obviously seen it in practice but the fact we don't seem to close the door on targets and are prepared to keep tabs and revisit players further down the line is something that seems to work in our favour. In terms of our infrastructure it sounds like pretty pro-show stuff (on a budget).

It was interesting to hear Naismith mention (unpromted) that Long was was one of Everton's top prospects coming through when he was at the club.

Also, I noticed him mention that the one thing he thinks we lack at the moment is a bit of experience in the team, which is definitely fair.

Edited by capt_oats

Looking forward to him going back with carrots.

Now that he’s out injured for a few months and presumably has a bit more time on his hands, what’s the chances of you putting in a word and getting him up to the petting zoo at Calderglen for AVFTT?

That’d blow Ollie Bozanic’s trip to Gorgie City Farm out the water.