Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

22 hours ago, Swello said:
Who is the " injury concern over one of our centre backs" that has prompted this? If it's Gallacher, I'm going to cry in a corner.

Robinson confirming it’s Charlie Dunne that’s injured. Similar to the groin issue he had at the start of last season apparently.

Edited by capt_oats

So much to enjoy today - but one wee interesting thing for me was that (a) Alan Campbell was brilliant in midfield and (b) he did it after an international break. Last season he was burst after coming back from international games but today he was hunting hearts defenders in front of their 18 yard box in the 90th minute. Him and Polworth (what a singning he's turning out to be BTW) were the two best players in the team today I thought, which is a really positive thing for the season to come.

When I saw the opening run of games on the fixture list, I wasn't confident at all that we'd be getting many points as the team settled down - to be sitting in 3rd with 10 points is miles ahead of where I thought we could be. Interesting to see how we handle the fixtures before we play Rangers in late October...

One thing that's really stuck out to me is how every single player is a threat going forward now. I'd honestly back each of the 10 outfield players today to end the season with at least 3 or 4 goals (including Grimshaw if you count mazy runs as equal to a goal.) Compared to this time last season when our striking options were pretty pathetic, and nobody else was really chipping in until Balon d'Or strolled into the first team in November.

7 minutes ago, Swello said:

When I saw the opening run of games on the fixture list, I wasn't confident at all that we'd be getting many points as the team settled down - to be sitting in 3rd with 10 points is miles ahead of where I thought we could be. Interesting to see how we handle the fixtures before we play Rangers in late October...

Funnily enough I was just having a look at last season's results. It was November before we won our 3rd league game (and crept into double figures for points).

Our opening 5 results were:

(A) - Hibs 3-0 (L)
(H) - Accies 0-1 (L)
(H) - Rangers 3-3 (X)
(A) - Dundee 1-3 (W)
(H) - Hearts 0-1 (L)

After 5 games we were F: 6 A: 9 in the goals column. As it stands we're F: 11 A: 8 (and obvs 5 of those came in one game).

Early days and all that like...

Just shows how much of an over reaction some folk had after the hearts cup game. That game wasn’t pretty but this team was (kind of still is) gelling together.

It’s been said before Robinson got a massive amount of credit for getting to 2 cup finals and that bought him time through the tough times last season, and that patience was paid back in the second half of last season when he completely changed the way the team plays. He doesn’t get much credit for that from some because they give all the credit to Turnbull and Hasite(of a bit) but Robinson was the one who picked them.

24 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I was absolutely 1000% convinced that Sherwin was going to get a second yellow for timewasting while we tried to sub Hylton on and everything would go tits up. 

Quite the opposite, it turns out.

That was a great bit of shit-housing to be fair - pretending to not notice the referee telling him to go off on the far side until he'd walked all the way to the centre spot 😄

3 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Thought the Pat Nevin podcast was excellent btw. Particularly enjoyed the times he spoke for 12 (twelve) minutes without interruption and answered questions he asked himself :lol:

The best questions are the ones that wipe out the first 10 questions on your notes...

15 hours ago, Swello said:

So much to enjoy today - but one wee interesting thing for me was that (a) Alan Campbell was brilliant in midfield and (b) he did it after an international break. Last season he was burst after coming back from international games but today he was hunting hearts defenders in front of their 18 yard box in the 90th minute. Him and Polworth (what a singning he's turning out to be BTW) were the two best players in the team today I thought, which is a really positive thing for the season to come.

Agree with this but have to say even though he finally stopped scoring, I actually thought Donnelly had a very effective game as well.

To think, after the cup defeat we were all asking where the goals were going to come from. Yet we’ve just hit three for the third successive game since and if we’d taken even half our chances in those matches, that could have been well into double figures. 

I’m sure teams will eventually work out ways to stifle us but at the minute, we just seem to have too much pace and energy for teams to handle. At the very least, we look like we’ll be fun to watch this season though.

Another thing that struck me yesterday was just how strong our bench looked. 

Carson, Tait, Mugabi, O’Hara, Long, Maguire & Hylton

That’s without Turnbull, Sloth, Dunne, Ilic, Semple and Manzinga. So even if/when things go tits up which they invariably will at some point, there’s plenty of scope there for Robinson to shake things up. 

A far cry from his first season in charge where Deimantas Petravicius was considered a genuine option off the bench.