Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

The defensive cover's such a weird one to place tbh.

You've obviously got Hartley and Dunne for the left side and Gallagher for the right so that's where you'd think the cover would  be needed particularly if we're committing to pushing Barry Maguire as a midfielder - as seems to be the case.

Unless there's someone who's out of contract cutting about and could double-up on the coaching side of things and/or add to the dressing room then anyone coming in is more than likely covering Gallagher for injury and/or suspension. Back-up right sided centre half at Motherwell is a niche role in anyone's book.

On that point I noticed via Modern Fitba'/Rangers Report that Gallagher's numbers are apparently...pretty, pretty good.

EEHXrH2U0AYFyK5?format=jpg&name=small

Edit: there's been a first team squad refresh on the official site...Barry Maguire is now indeed a midfielder and Grimshaw's finally classed a Defender.

Edited by capt_oats

5 hours ago, Casagolda said:

On signings- I actually heard we’ve had a defender on trial the last week or so that is/was apparently close to signing.

Could be miles out but it does tie in with Robinson wanting some defensive cover.

Guess it was true then. 

3 minutes ago, Swello said:

Who is the " injury concern over one of our centre backs" that has prompted this? If it's Gallacher, I'm going to cry in a corner.

I’m sure they’ve put up photos of both Gallagher and Hartley training in the last few days.

So, Dunne?

All patter aside, it's an interesting swerve from the Kieran Kennedy, Chris Mbulu (and even Kipré) straight out of an EPL/EFL Academy type signing in terms of cover.

He's 24 with 100+ games plus 7 international caps. Also, given he's an out of contract signing after the window's closed whose previous club were relegated there's a surprising amount of positive stuff from Yeovil fans in the comments.

A few "hard working", "strong", "under-rated" type things...with a "legend" in there for good measure. Which is nice.

Good to see Gboly repping him on IG as well.

Edited by capt_oats

Do Kelty Hearts have a generous benefactor? Seem to be splashing the cash.

Local business owner who owns Conservatory Converters iirc. Judging by the ad hoardings at games & sponsorships on their website the club runs a very slick & professional commercial operation.