Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

To be absolutely fair Hendry appeared to be playing like someone who had absolutely zero confidence at Celtic. He's definitely not Zak Jules bad *shudders*. I could almost see him coming to us to try and get himself back on track. Big Declan looks like he's the only properly good defender at the back so we do probably need cover, particularly if we're getting rid of Hartley. 

24 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Is the transfer window still open for League 1 and 2 clubs in England? If not then I can't see where Hartley is going to end up if he leaves.

It is, aye.

The Premier League and Championship's transfer window closed on Thursday, 8 August - the day before the start of the new English top-flight season.

But the summer transfer window still has longer to run elsewhere - Scottish clubs, England's Leagues One and Two and Europe's top leagues all have a Monday, 2 September deadline.

Link

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Hendry would be a very good signing for us...

Based on what?  He looked bang average at Dundee and absolutely horrific at Celtic.

This will not be a cheap signing, so would I f**k be looking to put all our eggs in the basket of Jack fucking Hendry. 

Bang average is a tad better than what we have currently, with Dunne being shite, and Hartley a million miles away from playing it would seem. After that, it's Maguire, Donnely and Devine... Two of whom seem to think they are midfielders and the 3rd an unproven youngster. 

Do I think Hendry is the next Brian Martin? no... Do I think he'd do us a turn because he's even slightly better than what we have? Aye. 

There have been umpteen players over the years who haven't been able to cope at the old firm, for whatever reason, but flourished elsewhere. 

8 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Bang average is a tad better than what we have currently, with Dunne being shite, and Hartley a million miles away from playing it would seem. After that, it's Maguire, Donnely and Devine... Two of whom seem to think they are midfielders and the 3rd an unproven youngster. 

Do I think Hendry is the next Brian Martin? no... Do I think he'd do us a turn because he's even slightly better than what we have? Aye. 

There have been umpteen players over the years who haven't been able to cope at the old firm, for whatever reason, but flourished elsewhere. 

Like Darren O’Dea?

Given it was less than a week ago that Robinson bemoaned the quality of player we are able to attract with our budget, I’m nowhere near as against this as some seem to be.

The Celtic move didn’t work out, but with regular game time hopefully he could improve and develop.

If he was anywhere near finished article then we wouldn’t be getting linked with him at all.

59 minutes ago, AndyRoss said:

Given it was less than a week ago that Robinson bemoaned the quality of player we are able to attract with our budget, I’m nowhere near as against this as some seem to be.

The Celtic move didn’t work out, but with regular game time hopefully he could improve and develop.

If he was anywhere near finished article then we wouldn’t be getting linked with him at all.

Aye I'd agree with this. He did look really promising at Dundee then was signed as a development player but suddenly got chucked in to Champions League football and got a complete pasting. He looked completely shot of all confidence when he played and you almost had to feel sorry for him. 

2 hours ago, AndyRoss said:

In fairness I think the main issue is that we're stocked for centre backs at the moment (unless someone moves on) and there are glaring issues elsewhere. Robinson was highlighting the lack of a target man post-Hearts so obviously the player we're linked with after that is a centre half.

If the apparent interest in Hendry is part of some budget re-jig then fair enough IMO. He's quicker than Hartley (who seems miles away from a starting spot) and is more comfortable on the ball than Dunne (though clearly has some of the same bombscare qualities). As @well fan for life says his confidence seems absolutely shot from his time at Parkhead and also his run out for Scotland.

It really depends on whether it's a "very good" Ciftci-type deal (ie: we pay buttons because Celtic just don't want him in the building) or if we're actually being asked to chip in a wedge.

If we're freeing up some budget by moving someone on and bringing in a loan as a replacement and that allows us to bring in a big lump up front to chuck hammers around then cool. If we're not doing that, then it seems fairly pointless and a bit mental to actively recruit another centre half on a limited budget especially if we're sticking with a back 4.

Edited by capt_oats

Would be quite happy with Hendry tbh.

He isn't a Celtic player, but neither was Jim O'Brien or Nadir, or any of the various others that have ended up across the league (Jackson Irvine, Jamie Lindsay, Scott Allan, Dylan McGeouch, Stuart Findlay) who have all done a decent enough turn, and above that in various cases.

Or he's Joe Chalmers. I dunno, I reckon he'd do fine.

4 hours ago, Desp said:

Based on what?  He looked bang average at Dundee and absolutely horrific at Celtic.

This will not be a cheap signing, so would I f**k be looking to put all our eggs in the basket of Jack fucking Hendry. 

Hendry got Scotland Caps did he not? Oh wait he got them after about six games for Celtic. So quite possibly  he is bang average  or even horrific.

If Hartley and his no doubt decent wage are on the way out, I’d be content enough if we could bring in Hendry as a replacement but only if it’s for buttons, and we could then chuck the surplus wages at a big lump at the top of the park (Hiya Kyle).

Tanner offered a 6 month extension. Robinson confirming his deal's up at the end of August.

It's in The Sun. Quoted below so you don't have to give them the clicks.

MOTHERWELL have offered Craig Tanner a contract extension until Christmas.

Tanner penned a short-term deal until the end of August as the club helped him in his recovery from a ruptured patella tendon and dislocated kneecap.

The 24-year-old has been out since March 2018 after suffering a freak injury in training but stepped up his recovery by playing 90 minutes and scoring for Well’s reserves at Ross County on Monday.

Fir Park boss Stephen Robinson is keen to keep Tanner and revealed they are in talks over a contract extension.

Robinson said: “Craig is still a long, long way away as he’s been out for a heck of a long time but he’s getting there slowly.

"It’s going to take game time for him to do that.

“So, we’re speaking to Craig just now as his contract runs out at the end of August and we’ve offered him an extended contract until Christmas.

“The club have gone above and beyond for Craig in terms of his treatment and how we have handled him. He’s been very appreciative of that.

“We’ve given him extra treatment and gave him a contract when we didn’t feel he was quite ready and we’ve offered him another extension.

“First and foremost, Craig needs to play football matches to try and get back to the Craig Tanner he was two years ago.

“It’s about what’s best for Craig and if we can keep him here and get him back to that level then it will benefit us as well.”

13 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Tanner offered a 6 month extension. Robinson confirming his deal's up at the end of August.

It's in The Sun. Quoted below so you don't have to give them the clicks.

I think that's fair enough tbh. It would be pretty miserable of us if we'd cut him loose when he had no hope of passing a medical anywhere else. I'd love to see him back in amongst things at some point as he was turning in to an absolute baller before his knee disintegrated.