Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

They are Robinson's players though, he signed them so if they are not producing the goods then that's 100 per cent at his door. He better hope that they have more mental strength than they do quality, because throwing them under the bus like that has the potential to backfire on him big time, which could well have a detrimental effect on the squad.
We have some players who will do a job for us, namely Gallagher, Tait, Gillespie/Carson, Campbell and potentially Polworth. Obviously Gillespie has had a nightmare in the last two games but he has proved that he is a good, solid goalkeeper for us and I don't think he deserves to be dropped quite yet, although the case for Carson returning will obviously strengthen if things don't improve. James Scott, as has been said, does have ability but he's simply not ready yet and it's unfair to expect him to be our main striker this season.
The rest of the squad is average bordering on garbage and that's down to the manager as he recruited them, so if he's calling them out like that then that should be raising serious questions over his position.
I know he's just been given a new contract but I genuinely would sack him today, because he's failed yet again to sign the right players for the team and it appears that he has learnt nothing tactically. He won't be sacked just now, obviously, but unless something drastic happens that improves our fortunes on the park then the support will turn on him big time. It was telling the amount of fans pouring out of the East Stand at half time last night, people are seriously fed up.

Mate you hope we get beat in every fucking game, pipe down you weirdo [emoji42]

On 16/08/2019 at 23:42, MJC said:

David Turnbull will never kick another competitive ball for us again, unless he does a McFadden and returns as a 30y/o+ crock in 13 years time so put any idea of him coming in to save our season (again) firmly out of your head. As soon as he's fit again he'll be off.

I doubt this massively. He will comeback late in the season and play 2/3 months I reckon.

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Entirely possible it's been mentioned elsewhere but though he's hardly been a regular starter Hartley was conspicuous by his absence from the bench on Friday no? He's been around the match-day squad for every other game we've played this season.

As a consequence Adam Livingstone who didn't even get a kick in the Betfred games got a place on the bench.

9 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Entirely possible it's been mentioned elsewhere but though he's hardly been a regular starter Hartley was conspicuous by his absence from the bench on Friday no? He's been around the match-day squad for every other game we've played this season.

Didn't see him at training yesterday either 

I suspect if anyone offered us a nominal fee we’d be willing to offload him to free up a, fairly significant I guess, wage. I’d probably rather see us do that and bring in another defender as big Pete is slower than a week in the jail.

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

I suspect if anyone offered us a nominal fee we’d be willing to offload him to free up a, fairly significant I guess, wage. I’d probably rather see us do that and bring in another defender as big Pete is slower than a week in the jail.

Aye, I mean I don't have a particularly strong opinion on Hartley it just seems a pretty logical conclusion given the drop off since his injury and the fact that we've had 6 competitive games so far this season but the two he's started (and played the 90) were the "low risk" ones vs Dumbarton and Annan.

Since the turn of the year he's been "unused sub" in 20 of 25 competitive games. He's started 3 (vs County in the LOL-worthy cup game last season along with Dumbarton and Annan in the group stage this season) and been "not in squad" on the last day vs Livi and Friday against Hearts. In a world where we're talking about still looking for "quality" in the final third Hartley feels like he's a pretty big wage to have tied up on the bench.

By no means am I packing his stuff up in a bin bag for him it's just the fact he's been pretty much ubiquitous on the bench since the turn of the year meant I raised an eyebrow when I checked the score/teams after big Bob Smith did his thing on Friday.

Having a look at the first team squad (with added Semple) as is, it consists of 24 bodies. You'd think that if anyone else is coming in then there will need to be a few going out (be it loan or permanently):

783309417_ScreenShot2019-08-19at11_43_07.png.493a4d01365b173d051f497b755b6526.png

• You'd imagine that we've loaned Cole with a view to him actually starting games rather than being an option off the bench (he has almost 200 first team games to his name). If he's not being viewed as a #9 then he's likely to be ahead of either Seedorf, Hylton and Ilic.
  • Presumably Sloth has been signed as a starter as well (a 27 year old Danish international midfielder with 8 caps and over 200 first team appearances isn't pitching up at Fir Park as a squad player). Going back to the interview Robinson gave just before he was announce he was framed in terms of Gorrin and McHugh leaving so there's a chance he's our alternative to "Goals" Donnelly in the Ally Gorrin role.
  • Robinson's position in his MFC YouTube interview seemed quite specific re: the centre forward role and was actually in line with a lot of the chat on here in so far as us not having someone suited to the "lone striker" role. I'm not sure if it's a tacit acknowledgement that Scott perhaps isn't ready to lead the line at this stage but it seems to put a line through Long and Cole as "target man" options (and I'd imagine Manzinga will be around the Reserves for a while yet):

"We don't have an outlet to go up early, we don't have an outlet, we don't have that strength and we've got young James still learning the game and we've got other players that aren't able to hold the ball up at the moment in time. So...it's something we have to try and rectify where we have to have more strings to our bow where we can go a little bit longer. get players into the game differently and not be too predictable."

As @Casagolda said the other day 9 of the 11 starting against Hearts were either here last season or have plenty experience at this level so there's really only so much you can hang on "recruitment".

What seems clear though is that pinning our entire style of play (effective as it was last season) on a u23 player from Wolves, a player brought in from a "non-league environment", a left back playing as a right winger and a converted centre half is potentially...problematic.

Edited by capt_oats

27 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Having a look at the first team squad (with added Semple) as is, it consists of 24 bodies. You'd think that if anyone else is coming in then there will need to be a few going out (be it loan or permanently):

783309417_ScreenShot2019-08-19at11_43_07.png.493a4d01365b173d051f497b755b6526.png

• You'd imagine that we've loaned Cole with a view to him actually starting games rather than being an option off the bench (he has almost 200 first team games to his name). If he's not being viewed as a #9 then he's likely to be ahead of either Seedorf, Hylton and Ilic.
  • Presumably Sloth has been signed as a starter as well (a 27 year old Danish international midfielder with 8 caps and over 200 first team appearances isn't pitching up at Fir Park as a squad player). Going back to the interview Robinson gave just before he was announce he was framed in terms of Gorrin and McHugh leaving so there's a chance he's our alternative to "Goals" Donnelly in the Ally Gorrin role.
  • Robinson's position in his MFC YouTube interview seemed quite specific re: the centre forward role and was actually in line with a lot of the chat on here in so far as us not having someone suited to the "lone striker" role. I'm not sure if it's a tacit acknowledgement that Scott perhaps isn't ready to lead the line at this stage but it seems to put a line through Long and Cole as "target man" options (and I'd imagine Manzinga will be around the Reserves for a while yet):

As @Casagolda said the other day 9 of the 11 starting against Hearts were either here last season or have plenty experience at this level so there's really only so much you can hang on "recruitment". What seems clear is that pinning our entire style of play (effective as it was last season) on a u23 player from Wolves, a player brought in from a "non-league environment", a left back playing as a right winger and a converted centre half is potentially...problematic.

Hylton, Seedorf, Ilic & Long haven't shown me anything to suggest they are gonna be good enough, I usually give folk a chance but I can't imagine Manzinga is gonna be good at all. I am not sure Tanner is a winger, he's been out that long I canny mind.
The midfield is non existent, Polworth is great on the ball but he's awful at tracking back and tackling. Donnelly's goals are masking the fact he's not been great, I don't think he's been as bad as some will make out but he's decent back up at best. Based on nothing other than the odd clip, I don't think Sloth will be a "DM". Where even is he?

If the manager believes we don't have striker capable of playing the "lone striker" well enough, then why the f**k are we playing a system that relies heavily on a lone striker that needs to get the ball early, hold it up and bring others into play?

As much as I've not bought into the possibility of it happening, as I didn't think we could afford it, but does Kyle Lafferty knocking back Killie, plus stating his priority is to stay in Scotland, signal a potential deal at Fir Park?  Still a long shot I'd say, but considering the standard of player signed so far, I'd bite your hand off for him.

In terms of outgoings, hopefully some non-entity takes Ilic on loan.  Also, if we do get a striker in, I would like to see Scott go on at loan, even if it's just until January.  I think 15-20 games in the Championship will do him the world of good.  I rate him highly, but he's not quite ready just yet for me. 

1 minute ago, Desp said:

If the manager believes we don't have striker capable of playing the "lone striker" well enough, then why the f**k are we playing a system that relies heavily on a lone striker that needs to get the ball early, hold it up and bring others into play?

^^^^ Very this.