Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

19 minutes ago, one m in Motherwell said:

Polworth

I meant to say that it's the first time I've seen Polworth playing against a higher level of opposition and I thought he was great actually - it makes you wonder why he was in the first division. His style is fairly laid back, so he's obviously a candidate for being called a "lazy bastart" by the angry squad when we're getting beaten...

15 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Mind when we just booted f**k out of everyone? Even if we did get beat most weeks, that was fun to watch. [1]

[1] Citation needed.

It was fun when we booted teams off the park and won, I seem to remember volleying folk around from about September last year til January being...less fun.

I feel like Polworth is growing into his role as well, at Inverness he seemed to be shunted all over the midfield at various points to cover here there and everywhere, but a good run centrally should do him the world of good.

24 minutes ago, Swello said:

I meant to say that it's the first time I've seen Polworth playing against a higher level of opposition and I thought he was great actually - it makes you wonder why he was in the first division. His style is fairly laid back, so he's obviously a candidate for being called a "lazy bastart" by the angry squad when we're getting beaten...

Absolute certainty.

I thought his use of the ball was excellent on Saturday. Even under pressure he had the composure to put his foot on the ball and then the ability/vision to  pick out a pass. 

His little turn and 30 yard ping to Gallagher in the build up to the opening goal was absolutely delightful. 

50 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

[1] Citation needed.

It was fun when we booted teams off the park and won, I seem to remember volleying folk around from about September last year til January being...less fun.

I feel like Polworth is growing into his role as well, at Inverness he seemed to be shunted all over the midfield at various points to cover here there and everywhere, but a good run centrally should do him the world of good.

Turning up at Hampden and throwing great big hammers around at Rangers and Aberdeen in the same season is arguably my favourite ever times being a Motherwell fan. 

Unrelated to Main but...The Liam Donnelly Midfield Experiment then? I'm guessing he's done enough to have established his place as a midfielder (the OS should probably switch Donnelly and Grimshaw on their first team squad list)?
When it clicked on Saturday the midfield was very good IMO and until the 3rd went in they were competitive. As [mention=17023]Swello[/mention] said on the match thread for the first 35mins the tempo was excellent especially as they were up against a midfield of McGregor, Brown and Ntcham which is probably as good a midfield as they'll line up against this season.
Also massive tangent but given everyone's talking about strikers, it was only a brief cameo (before Scott came on) but it was interesting to see Cole replace Long as #9 and actually get in behind Celtic's back 4 a couple of times.
I don't think we can afford to not persevere with Donnelly in midfield just because of his goal return. He can fair strike a ball.

40 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:
3 hours ago, capt_oats said:
Unrelated to Main but...The Liam Donnelly Midfield Experiment then? I'm guessing he's done enough to have established his place as a midfielder (the OS should probably switch Donnelly and Grimshaw on their first team squad list)?
When it clicked on Saturday the midfield was very good IMO and until the 3rd went in they were competitive. As [mention=17023]Swello[/mention] said on the match thread for the first 35mins the tempo was excellent especially as they were up against a midfield of McGregor, Brown and Ntcham which is probably as good a midfield as they'll line up against this season.
Also massive tangent but given everyone's talking about strikers, it was only a brief cameo (before Scott came on) but it was interesting to see Cole replace Long as #9 and actually get in behind Celtic's back 4 a couple of times.

I don't think we can afford to not persevere with Donnelly in midfield just because of his goal return. He can fair strike a ball.

I'd agree with this, but I think we all assumed he'd be in the midfield as a replacement for Gorrin (i.e sitting in front of the back four and not moving much from there).  However, he's ended up being a Turnbull replacement with him pinging in goals from all angles.  The issue I have is there doesn't therefore seem to be anyone who is playing that defensive midfield role, which makes it too easy for teams to get at our defence.  Granted, Celtic are a different level to any other side but they way they were cutting through us with ease in the last 30/40 is a cause for concern. 

I know I keep referring back to it, but if we don't have the players with the stamina (at this point in time) to play the 4-3-3, I see no reason why we couldn't revert to 3-5-2.  Grimshaw and Tait would have no issues in getting up and down the flanks, having three centre-halves gives us bit more protection at the back if our midfield go wandering, and I'd like to see a partner up top to work with Long. 

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Aye. For clarity I wasn't suggesting binning him or anything it was more with specific reference to Robinson's comments about wanting a look at Donnelly in the interview pre-Livi at the end of last season before we brought in Sloth.

"We've definitely agreed one, one will be announced on Tuesday (Sloth). We're losing both our holding midfielders in Carl and Alex so I think it's an important signing for us...

I've also got Liam Donnelly in the building who didn't hit the ground running.

He's the first to admit he didn't expect the intensity and the pace of the game up here and the strength needed and he's got injured a lot because his body wasn't ready for it but there's a boy there with a tremendous amount of talent that we haven't seen enough of yet. He's played as a #6 for Northern Ireland, he's played at full international level, he's played at u21 level and had great success so perhaps we'll look at that tomorrow before we look outside what's already in the building"

Spoiler

I'd guess that while there are still clearly imperfections with Donnelly's game his goal return and general performances mean we're unlikely to be looking "outside the building". Though having said that I'd take @Desp's point about not replacing Ally Gorrin fully on board.

Similarly Barry Maguire seems to be looking at a "utility man" role now. He was talking about enjoying getting the opportunity to play as a #6 as well.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

Fasten your seatbelts for the smash hit of the summer...

WELL FANS III: THE SEETHE NEVER DIES

What will become of Soppy Bollocks ?

How will we know if it's PATG ?

. . . . Never mind Well Fans III is indeed already a thing . Fuckwits of the world unite !! 

There is so much to say, I don't know where to start.

I am not for Jamie Murphy, no for me.

Few handballs on sat for Celtic, usual rules applied from the last few decades.

Polworth is a great looking player. However his effort to tackle/track Ntcham at the 4th goal was atrocious and he gave the ball away too often.

Long did well but I remain unsure where our goals will come from (excluding Liam Donnelly: Goal Machine.)

I am not up for going back to 3-5-2. It got really old last year once we no longer threw folk about like chip pokes.

Seedorf was horrible on Saturday. Hylton wasn't much better, Ilic struggled a bit too.

I am away to join well fans iii and hope my ban hasn't transfered over from ii.

I reckon Long and Cole up front together could work well.

Gillespie

Tait   Gallgher   Dunne   Carroll

campbell Donnelly Polworth

Iilic

Cole Long

unsure whether Carroll is suspended if so, Tait left backand grimmy right back. Then second half, Iilic and a striker off with seedorf and hylyon on either side back to the 4-3-3.

For me Iilic seems like the type of player who could sit in the hole and operate well.