Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

He's signed for Norwich City, not Real Madrid. Looking at their first team squad, they seem to have a few youth team players who have made the step up.

I’m not dismissing it as impossible that the lad goes there and goes all the way to the Norwich first team, I still think that seems very unlikely though.

The frustration comes from the feeling that he could have progressed and played senior football a lot quicker.

It’s never nice losing upcoming talent, it’s just that bit more disappointing when you lose them before you’ve even seen them playing in the first team.

I like the look of Sloth, he never got out of first gear (never needed to) and always looked comfortable. His movement caught the eye and he makes so much space for himself with short runs. I like his style, seemed very assured. Cant wait to see him again against better opposition to see what he can do.

Very enthusiastic about the season ahead. Some other teams seem to be in a bit of a mess at the moment.Hopefully an away win at Livi followed by someone stopping Scott Brown strolling about Fir Park like it's a training game..

11 hours ago, AndyRoss said:

I’m not dismissing it as impossible that the lad goes there and goes all the way to the Norwich first team, I still think that seems very unlikely though.

The frustration comes from the feeling that he could have progressed and played senior football a lot quicker.

It’s never nice losing upcoming talent, it’s just that bit more disappointing when you lose them before you’ve even seen them playing in the first team.

Wouldn’t it be less disappointing? If you had got to see him play and he was the next big thing and a club came in and he left, you like the rest of us would be up in arms. 

No point thinking what this youngster could have done for us as a first team, very low possibility MacLear or McKinstry would have been in our first team this year. They also didn’t feature much at all last season for the reserves, mostly playing u18s until Maurice Ross came in and started giving them chances near the end of the season. 

Its their choice they were offered the chance to stay at the club and given tasters what they could get first team wise. In a sense turned their head for money (understandably) going from 150 a week to about 700+ at 16/17. They chose not to stay exact same as Hastie in a sense, no big loss to see a youngster go, plenty more and we got plenty cash for it, 250k for MacLear and probably similar for McKinstry.

Edited by supermarv

Wouldn’t it be less disappointing? If you had got to see him play and he was the next big thing and a club came in and he left, you like the rest of us would be up in arms. 
No point thinking what this youngster could have done for us as a first team, very low possibility MacLear or McKinstry would have been in our first team this year. They also didn’t feature much at all last season for the reserves, mostly playing u18s until Maurice Ross came in and started giving them chances near the end of the season. 
Its their choice they were offered the chance to stay at the club and given tasters what they could get first team wise. In a sense turned their head for money (understandably) going from 150 a week to about 700+ at 16/17. They chose not to stay exact same as Hastie in a sense, no big loss to see a youngster go, plenty more and we got plenty cash for it, 250k for MacLear and probably similar for McKinstry.

I understand where you are coming from, but while it may be a simplistic take on things, as a fan I want to see boys coming through the academy and getting their chance in our first team.

I wouldn’t be up in arms about anyone leaving that has come in and made their mark, it’s happened throughout the history of the football club.

What were the thoughts on Jamie Semple’s performance yesterday?

The guy sitting behind me and had decided ‘he’ll no do’ after around four minutes, though I thought he adapted to playing out of his usual role well.

He was forced to come deep on a number of occasions, any time I’d seen him play before he was deployed in a much more attacking role.

Donnelly’s certainly playing a different role to Gorrin anyway, which was the role I think we all assumed he was going to play. 

Big Ally Gorrin was always the deepest midfielder. I don’t think I ever seen him get ahead of the ball or into the opposition box.  

Donnelly seems to have a lot more license to push forward. And why not I suppose when he can ping a ball like that. 

Edited by Casagolda

What were the thoughts on Jamie Semple’s performance yesterday?

The guy sitting behind me and had decided ‘he’ll no do’ after around four minutes, though I thought he adapted to playing out of his usual role well.

He was forced to come deep on a number of occasions, any time I’d seen him play before he was deployed in a much more attacking role.

In the few games I've seen of him this campaign he's only played well in one half for me and that was the 2nd half at Queens, other than that felt he was distinctly average.

26 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I must admit - when I read/her the word "snowflake", I judge. A couple of interesting bits and pieces in there though...