Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

5 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Surely only a matter of time now. Even with  Cole injured he’s still struggling to make the squad, let alone get a game.

Think outside him- Carson, Sloth and Livingstone are the only other first team players who haven’t been involved at all so far. I wouldn’t be surprised to see first two involved on Saturday though.

Noticed in Carroll’s absence that Tait to left back and Grimshaw at right back was preferred to Livingstone last night. I’m becoming convinced he’ll actually be released without ever having started a game for us. 

Take it Scott went off with an injury? Also for those that were there, was Long up to much when he came on? 

Aye, having a quick look back at Johnson's pre-season/LC games so far:

Crusaders (friendly) - starting XI
Linfield (friendly) - sub (no idea who he replaced)
Gretna 2008 (friendly) - sub (replaced Long - scored 3)
Darlington (friendly) - sub (replaced Long)
QoS (LC) - not in squad
Morton (LC) - unused sub
Dumbarton (LC) - not in squad

7 games: he's started 1 (the one we lost) and of the 3 competitive games hasn't been in the squad for 2 of them.

He's clearly behind Long (started 5) and now looks to be behind Scott (started 2). If the other player Robinson seems to be holding out for is viewed as a "starter" and is also a centre forward that pushes him down to 4th choice before Cole's even factored in. Add that to his obvious lack of involvement in the 2nd half of last season then it doesn't look particularly good.

I'm not sure if last night was more about getting Grimshaw game time as opposed to a reflection on Livingstone but with Carroll there, Tait having played the position on a regular basis and Ilic an option then getting him out on loan is surely the best move.

The difference between the involvement Scott, Semple and Maguire seem to be getting compared to Livingstone is noticeable.

Edited by capt_oats

I would have liked to see Livingstone getting his chance last night instead of opting to play Tait at LB.

Even at this early stage I think we've got the balance right with Carroll at left back and Tait on the right. With Jake out injured last night I'd have much preferred to give Livingstone a chance in there. I wonder if the fact he wasn't is a sign that he will be loaned out shortly?

20 hours ago, Londonwell said:

See Lafferty’s on his way out of Rangers shortly and we have often been linked with him previously. 

Probably zero chance of him ending up down Fir Park way, but with ITKMarv reporting over on SO that we are due to bring in another striker, it did get me wondering. 

What I’ve been told and I’m inclined to believe, it seems Lafferty splits opinion but I wouldn’t be in the sign him section I’d rather see someone else with a better scoring record if we were to blow the budget on them. 

I also fear it could be Josh Magennis, that rumour could be total nonsense but you never know, NI connection aswell...I wouldn’t like us to sign him either, was pretty poor when he was up here.

21 hours ago, Londonwell said:

See Lafferty’s on his way out of Rangers shortly and we have often been linked with him previously. 

Probably zero chance of him ending up down Fir Park way, but with ITKMarv reporting over on SO that we are due to bring in another striker, it did get me wondering. 

Lafferty wont be signing for us. Robinson stated that he has only room for one more new player. The new player has already played for us this pre season...

The overhead kick trialist v Gretna should be signing. Was in the crowd with Devante Cole , Charles Dunne and Jake Caroll on Tuesday night. Also took part in the pre game warm up. Only reason why he wasn't signed sooner was because he picked up a hamstring injury. However its still unknown what his name actually is...

32 minutes ago, MFC97 said:

Lafferty wont be signing for us. Robinson stated that he has only room for one more new player. The new player has already played for us this pre season...

The overhead kick trialist v Gretna should be signing. Was in the crowd with Devante Cole , Charles Dunne and Jake Caroll on Tuesday night. Also took part in the pre game warm up. Only reason why he wasn't signed sooner was because he picked up a hamstring injury. However its still unknown what his name actually is...

It's Elliot Frear is it not?

2 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Scamming the club out of £280k isn't a great look for a boy who made a big deal out of thumping the badge and going to games as a kid, tbh. 

I would back us to get money out of this.

19 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Can we get John Boyle on a flight to Ohio to start claiming money straight out the till?

He's probably got a couple of planes sitting in the back garden, sounds easy enough.

1 hour ago, Moo said:

Is Johnson shite? One of the papers linking us to him.

He's not shite in a "how did he ever become a professional footballer?" type way, he's just extremely limited in what he's good at.

He's an excellent finisher...and that's about it. He'll not hold the ball up, he won't press, run the channels or link play but he's good for taking a chance in the penalty box.

He was fine when he had either Bowman or Main playing alongside him and doing all the graft. He'd just pop up and ping the ball in the net (the equaliser against Celtic being a good example) He also scored against Rangers along with a double against Aberdeen so he chipped in against Top 6 sides as well but Robinson's big on "earning the right to play football" and fell out the team largely because he didn't seem to be doing the general "free" stuff the manager wanted. That was compounded when we started going 433 and he's now absolutely miles out the picture.

We tried him as a lone striker in a 4411 with McCormack as the #10 for one game (when County pumped us out the cup) and that was pretty much the last we saw of him save a couple of cameos off the bench here and there.

He did an interview with Motherwell's YouTube last season when Robinson had brought him back into the fold and a quote he gave really rings true and kind of sums him up: "my goals will pull me through more than my overall game".

He had a ridiculous scoring record for Gateshead (53 in 127) and even for us he scored 8 in 28 which largely amounted to the period July - December when he was actually getting games.

Edited by capt_oats

6 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Came through the ranks at PSG but plucked from Belgian amateur leagues which isn't exactly impressing SO despite the similarities to Casagolda.

Is SO one of the most joyless places on the internet? Not for me to say but...yes.