Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Tbh, it's the loan to Oxford that's the "problem" so to speak.

Edit to add: in the interests of balance, it's entirely possible that Columbus have offered him a significantly better package than Oxford and that's the choice he's made with the Oxford loan being a legit short-term solution to Columbus not being able to register him to their squad.

@TheRedFinal on Twitter has an interesting conspiracy theory on this I've just read, whereby an Oxford director used to co-own DC United.  When he was there Pat Onstad was a coach; Onstad is now technical director at Columbus so the line in the twitter thread is around Oxford leveraging this MLS loophole to game the compensation system.  Probably bollocks I know.

I see Craig Tanner played 45 mins in a bounce game today. Great to see him get some minutes even if it’s just a kickabout, here’s hoping he can kick on and get back to full fitness.

I also saw somewhere the game was against Dundee so I’m assuming he scored at least once.

19 minutes ago, dezz said:

I also saw somewhere the game was against Dundee so I’m assuming he scored at least once.

Craig Tanner Vs Dundee - Played in one half, scored in both.

26 minutes ago, dezz said:

I see Craig Tanner played 45 mins in a bounce game today. Great to see him get some minutes even if it’s just a kickabout, here’s hoping he can kick on and get back to full fitness.

There he is.

EAF0nZCWkAAC9VD?format=jpg&name=small

Did we not benefit from players moving from England to Scotland with a development fee? I seem to recall a chairman being a bit upset about it. Think it might have been Porter, Humphrey or Coke.

34 minutes ago, dezz said:

Any ideas of the actual result and who else played?

2 minutes ago, Mitch said:

Did we not benefit from players moving from England to Scotland with a development fee? I seem to recall a chairman being a bit upset about it. Think it might have been Porter, Humphrey or Coke.

Porter was definitely one.

Motherwell have secured Oldham forward Chris Porter on a two-year deal after a controversial free transfer.

The League One side were hoping for a sizeable six-figure fee for the out-of-contract 23-year-old.

But in accordance with a loophole in transfer regulations they will receive nothing because the former Bury player has moved to a Scottish club.

Motherwell boss Mark McGhee, meanwhile, added: "We were able to - I think the best expression is - exploit the rules, which enabled us to bring Chris here.

"We are very pleased because we feel as if we have got a player who in normal circumstances we probably wouldn't have been able to sign."

"Now he is here I hope he scores goals for us."

1 hour ago, Mitch said:

The FIFA standard is for 23 year olds undergoing international transfers.

Each Football Association can have their own rules for internal transfers. i.e. There is a tribunal panel that decides compensation between scottish clubs. In England they apply training compensation for internal transfers until the player is 24, a year older than FIFA rules.  MLS have their own bonkers system for internal transfers.

I'm really disappointed in Cadden here, given he was giving it the whole (questionable) grew up going to games etc, he's decided to move to a club that is going to screw us out of compo rather than either sign a year extension and move for a fee.

I get that's his prerogative but it grates on me, especially after he missed most of last season injured.

As Al B mentioned earlier, he hasn't actually kicked on at all and developed the way we hoped and I can't see where he would have fit in this time, but he could have done us a solid a la DT.

Hastie's move actually pisses me off less than this.

33 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

I'm really disappointed in Cadden here, given he was giving it the whole (questionable) grew up going to games etc, he's decided to move to a club that is going to screw us out of compo rather than either sign a year extension and move for a fee.

I get that's his prerogative but it grates on me, especially after he missed most of last season injured.

As Al B mentioned earlier, he hasn't actually kicked on at all and developed the way we hoped and I can't see where he would have fit in this time, but he could have done us a solid a la DT.

To be fair to him though, for him to move for a fee, someone has to want to buy him...and for me that's the issue. It's not going to get any better by signing a new deal because I can't see that he's going to play. (And I think he knows that too).

"No-one wants to pay money for Chris Cadden" is exactly the problem, as much I have a massive amount of time for the guy and with all the goodwill in the world, I don't see that changing as it's been so long since he did, well....anything, and theres no shop window for him here.

I agree the whole arrangement might seem a touch on the shady side, but I can't being annoyed at the guy going to literally the only place that will give him a game (regrettably...I actually feel quite bad talking about him in that way).

Let's suck this one up and let the guy try to get a fresh start, he definitely deserves that at the very least.

Edited by Al B

1 hour ago, MP_MFC said:

Despite the amount I've written in my past few posts I'm actually a bit reluctant to go in two footed on him tbh.

It's a shiter for the club, 100% and if we hadn't seen Hastie, McKinstry and (potentially) McAlear move along with a "record" sponsorship deal having just been announced it'd probably bite a lot harder.

Having seen that Andy Rose, Sam Nicholson and Danny Wilson are on USD $200k, $300k and $500k basic salaries respectively over there then if he's got an offer that's even remotely comparable then it's clearly a decent option for him on a personal level which should (rightly) be his main concern now.

As Craigan mentioned in the dig at his agent, he's currently available on a relatively small fee. By extension the only team that's been willing to match the compo is Oxford which I'd guess is a problem. As @Al B just said for us to get paid someone has to want to hand over the money for him.

He could have signed for Oxford and we'd have got something like €300k but from his POV, the more I've read about Oxford the more they seem like an absolute shit-show. It seems there's a new owner in place and Appleton's long gone since the last time they were in for him. I can easily imagine that he's fine with a short term move without wanting to commit to a long term deal with a club who, from the sound of things, are heading for relegation.

What I would be interested in is to see what would happen if FIFA side with MFC and say that if Columbus Crew want him they need to pay a Cat II or Cat III compensation.

Edited by capt_oats

I can understand the iffy feelings towards Cadden. Problem is I dunno what is true or false with these transfer conspiracies.

Cadden doesn't seem to have very active though.

2 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Why was this game at Airdrie?

Don't remember that at all

Just guesswork, but was that around the time your pitch was a bog?

6 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Why was this game at Airdrie?

Don't remember that at all

Remedial work being done on the pitch. I wonder if Motherwell hold the record for the biggest win at Airdrie's ground?

5 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

we played three games at Airdrie that season, Llanelli, Flamurtari and Steau bucharest, Ross Forbes scored a peach of a volley in the latter.

Still mind Bodan Stancu scoring a total screamer from about 35 yards that night. 

And all the Steau fans queuing up for a photo with Claret & Amber (RIP in peace).

2 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Still mind Bodan Stancu scoring a total screamer from about 35 yards that night. 

And all the Steau fans queuing up for a photo with Claret & Amber (RIP in peace).

That was a good game that as we at least had a good go at them and took the lead before the inevitable happened.

That goal though