Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Like 99% of my opinions on here this is just based on vague feelings rather than anything solid, but I'd be very surprised if Livingstone ever made the grade at Motherwell. Boys like Campbell and Cadden you could immediately feel were first team players. To me Livingstone gives off heavy Ross MacLean/ David Ferguson vibes.

I think age counts against him as well. There can't be many academy products, certaintly none spring to mind, who've made it after their first start coming age 21. 

Essentially, if/when we sign Ilic, that puts Livingstone down to fourth choice. Were Carroll and Ilic both missing, I'm pretty sure Robinson would bring Grimshaw in and move Tait over before using Livingstone.

Aye.  I mean I like Livingstone and I understand why the club are keen to "protect their interests". There's definitely a player there, though I'm not sure it's as a left back. Either way right now he's 21 and (including his loan at East Fife) he's played 1396 mins of competitive football (including Challenge Cup).

By way of comparison James Scott is 18 and has played 1106 mins, Barry Maguire is also 21 and (including his loan) has 2389 mins. It'd obviously be hugely unfair to compare with Campbell, Turnbull and Cadden who as @YassinMoutaouakil says looked like first team players from the moment they stepped onto the pitch.

The comparison with Scott is actually quite instructive. Post-split Robinson made a point of starting him ahead of Main, I'm possibly being unfair and Livingstone may have been carrying an injury or something but he got a single sub appearance for 5 mins on the left wing against St Mirren. Again it's one of those things Robinson sees them on the training pitch and he's the guy they have to convince.

It's annoying because he's fully ML1 and his Da' posts on Steelmen, he's the sort of player you'd like to see do well and there is talent there but another season not getting first team games isn't going to do his development any good and if Robinson doesn't trust him to start then that's absolutely fine but he'd be as well getting games on a loan at a level where he's going to regularly play.

Edit:

Not our player any more obvs but that's McKinstry on the bench for Leeds in their friendly tonight.

1161012104_ScreenShot2019-07-11at18_16_51.png.7dc076724e156bd7a4855fd22b9ba618.png

Edited by capt_oats

19 minutes ago, CaspianChris said:

Can anyone tell me how good or poor Ben Hall was during his time at Motherwell please?

I noticed this article in the Courier and was wondering if he would be a decent signing. 

If you go back to page 11 in this thread, his exit is being discussed. 

Should give you a rough idea.

20 minutes ago, CaspianChris said:

Can anyone tell me how good or poor Ben Hall was during his time at Motherwell please?

I noticed this article in the Courier and was wondering if he would be a decent signing. 

He didn't play a lot of games with us and got a move to Brighton. He moved way too early.

I had decent hopes for him without being overwhelmed at any point by his ability.  Decent in the air from what I remember

56 minutes ago, CaspianChris said:

It's a small sample size tbh. He only made 19 appearances before fucking off to Brighton.

We were keen to keep him and McGhee was raging when he left. He had kind of been thrown in to the side by McGhee ahead of Baraclough-recruited jobbers like Louis Laing and Kieran Kennedy and given a chance pretty much out of nothing.

He did well and there was definitely potential but he got a lot of help playing alongside McManus.

We made a bit of coin from a development fee with him moving to Brighton (c.£210k IIRC) and that was pretty much the last we heard of him.

Edited by capt_oats

There's yer Stephen Robinson. Answering the question from this thread the other day. Good lad.

"I think I'm done. I'm knackered. I can't sign anymore. No. We are very close to being done. We still have a little bit left if something came up that suited us. Perhaps in the forward area."

Edited by capt_oats

21 minutes ago, Luke92 said:

Nae mention of Christian Ilic..  I thought he might have alluded to him if the deal was close

Tbh, I'd have thought that would be filed in the #donedeal pile. From the sound of things he's "provisionally" signed (hence the posts on his socials) we're just waiting to make sure his contract has officially been terminated and we're not going to get scammed and hit with an invoice for a fee once it's announced.

The money we have set aside is presumably us #waitingforGboly.

Bit random this but was there a reason Roberto Martinez hardly ever got a game during the brief period we signed him just before administration? I remember him joining but that's it.