Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Just to pick up on Robbo’s quote of hopefully signing another couple of wide players by the end of the week, I wonder if we’ve now had an answer from Forest and Gboly about a return? His instagram has been fairly quiet recently so can only assume he’s back from his holiday hanging around with Nigerian rappers in Lagos. 

I know he was well out the picture at Forest but hopefully O’Niell leaving them doesn’t put a spanner in the works of any return on the chance the new manager wants a look at him. 

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

There's yer Robinson shutting down the "Frear's re-signing" patter.

Also better shot of the trialist in the spoiler below:

Reveal hidden contents

536966974_ScreenShot2019-07-07at09_58_47.thumb.png.29e3a5dbb492a9edc0444c20c3547804.png

If @Antiochas III is right with Grimshaw calling him 'Christian' then: Transfermarkt > Free Agents > Position: Forwards > Winger > Free Agent since: 2019 (called Christian).

Ladies and Gentlemen I give you...Christian Sørensen.

329756362_ScreenShot2019-07-07at10_16_32.png.925e1865f993f514ad6578525c36f857.png

Maybe?

Christian-S%C3%B8rensen-optakt.png

I'm glad I am not the only one who on finding out the guys name was Christian, googled wingers named Christian! 

That wasn't a fruitful search as I ended up looking at some bible bashing Americans with fairly fascist views. 

Transfermarkt was my next call and I came up with the same man, (just didn't have the courage to post the fact that I spent my Sunday morning looking at wingers named Christian) 

However seeing your post has given me the confidence to out myself aswell. I bow down to your superior YouTube foraging though! 

Edited by weemac

1 hour ago, dezz said:

Just to pick up on Robbo’s quote of hopefully signing another couple of wide players by the end of the week, I wonder if we’ve now had an answer from Forest and Gboly about a return? His instagram has been fairly quiet recently so can only assume he’s back from his holiday hanging around with Nigerian rappers in Lagos. 

I know he was well out the picture at Forest but hopefully O’Niell leaving them doesn’t put a spanner in the works of any return on the chance the new manager wants a look at him. 

Interesting but not surprising that he's being specific about wide players. It's fair to say we're still short there but I'm curious how much room we actually have left in the squad/budget.

By my count we've seen 13 first team out (including Cadden) and we've brought 7 in to date. It's obviously unlikely we'll be on one out one in but I'd have said we're probably looking at another 2 or 3 in before we're maxed out.

Last season felt like the squad was heavy and we had a first team pushing 26 bodies with the extra weight being carried with Sammon (who was pretty much on the sidelines by the end of August), Newell (who was never anywhere near the first team), ATS (who either wasn't good enough or a sicknote or both) and McCormack.

Right now the first team squad looks like this:

GK: Carson / Ferguson / Gillespie
DF: Tait / Carroll / Hartley / Maguire / Dunne / Livingstone / Donnelly / Gallagher
MF: Grimshaw / Campbell / Turnbull / Sloth / Hylton / Polworth
FW: Long / Scott / Johnson / Tanner / Cole

= 22 with 2 long-term injured in Turnbull and Tanner. So we've roughly 20 first team players available.

Looking at the way the pre-season games has in terms of  that squad's likely to be augmented by Devine, Cornelius, McAlear and Semple

Going by the (admittedly limited) highlights we've seen from pre-season both Donnelly and Maguire have been used in the holding role of the midfield 3. Which possibly answers questions about us needing another midfielder and possibly puts either/both of them in the frame to replace McHugh in the squad as utility CB/DM.

Similarly if Cole's able to play wide then we may be able to look at 2 wide players in rather than 3. You'd think we'd need to see some sort of movement out before we'd consider another out and out striker though.

Just now, Gianfranco said:

That Alan Nixon is saying on twitter that Robinson is in the frame for Doncaster as well as Flitcroft. Assuming it’s our Robinson?

Aye, he's currently 10/1 with Sky Bet (was 20/1 earlier when Nixon posted).

1020864329_ScreenShot2019-07-07at14_32_13.png.fe462b383e9e3c3648297fea24559d11.png

5 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Also better shot of the trialist in the spoiler below:

Reveal hidden contents

536966974_ScreenShot2019-07-07at09_58_47.thumb.png.29e3a5dbb492a9edc0444c20c3547804.png

If @Antiochas III is right with Grimshaw calling him 'Christian' then: Transfermarkt > Free Agents > Position: Forwards > Winger > Free Agent since: 2019 (called Christian).

Ladies and Gentlemen I give you...Christian Sørensen.

329756362_ScreenShot2019-07-07at10_16_32.png.925e1865f993f514ad6578525c36f857.png

Maybe?

Christian-S%C3%B8rensen-optakt.png

Played in the same Danish u19 team as yer man Casper. Not too much of a stretch to assume they formed a lifelong bond and have been desperate to play together at club level ever since.

5 hours ago, capt_oats said:

So he just happened to travel down to Gretna, in full Motherwell gear, on a Tuesday night, to watch us have a kick about? 

Not sure I’m buying that tbh.

I’m guessing either he’s got a better offer or we have. With Robinson hoping to add a couple of new faces next week, hopefully there was some sort of breakthrough for us with other targets that made the Frear deal redundant.

So he just happened to travel down to Gretna, in full Motherwell gear, on a Tuesday night, to watch us have a kick about? 
I’m guessing either he’s got a better offer or we have. With Robinson hoping to add a couple of new faces next week, hopefully there was some sort of breakthrough for us with other targets that made the Frear deal redundant.
To be fair, if Frear is now down in England then that is by far the easiest game he'll ever get to watch his ex-teammates.

2 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Aye. I could buy an explanation along the lines that he's been training with us to keep his fitness up/we've been letting him use our facilities eg: Fané was cutting about in full Motherwell kit and was in the stand for games when he was here. 

It'd be a bit weird given Frear left the club at the end of the season but it's an easier sell than him just pitching up at Gretna for the lolz.

In fairness I can imagine this sort of conversation is pretty fluid at this time in pre-season with deals being off/on. As you say Frear may have ended up with an offer that suits him more or alternatively a deal we thought may not happen has been resurrected. Possibly both. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Robinson seems quite emphatic now though.

Kind of related, I see big Chris Mbulu is training with Crewe at the moment. Frear's one of the few I've not seen mentioned in terms of other clubs showing an interest: Aldred (Melbourne), McHugh (ATK), Gorrin (Oxford), Main (Aberdeen), Sammon (Falkirk),  Cadden (Sunderland/Oxford/Columbus). Hastie's destination was clearly already known before the end of the season.

Edited by capt_oats

2 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

To be fair, if Frear is now down in England then that is by far the easiest game he'll ever get to watch his ex-teammates.

Which is fair enough, doesn't explain why he would turn up with the squad decked out in this seasons Motherwell training gear though. 

Given he was rumoured to be rejoining a few days previously, it seems like far too much of a coincidence. To me, it looks like someone has changed their mind at the 11th hour.