Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Sammon for League 1 football. Talk to me. 
I think he got a bit of a hard time. Wasn't as bad as some folk made out but was a pretty pointless signing for us considering we already had Curtis Main.

My main criticism of him would be that, for a big guy, he's fairly useless in the air. He seemed to look much better having the ball played into his feet and he actually has a decent turn of pace. I reckon he'll score a few goals in League 1.

26 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I think he got a bit of a hard time. Wasn't as bad as some folk made out but was a pretty pointless signing for us considering we already had Curtis Main.

My main criticism of him would be that, for a big guy, he's fairly useless in the air. He seemed to look much better having the ball played into his feet and he actually has a decent turn of pace. I reckon he'll score a few goals in League 1.

Yeah I agree with that

54 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

That's spot on IMO. He seemed a solid enough pro to have around the club as well.

He was just the wrong signing for what Robinson wanted (which seemed to be someone to do what Ryan Bowman did without having to actually play Ryan Bowman). That was compounded further when we moved into our #SexyMotherwell phase in the second half of the season by which time his tea was already oot as we seemed to have spent the entire January window trying to get him back to Hearts or pass him over to some other marks.

In total he played 918 minutes for us so...the equivalent of 10 full games. I mean, you can judge him on that but I think it was a pretty weird situation as it seemed like everyone quickly realised that the Sammon/Main partnership didn't work and wouldn't work so the jig was up by the end of August and it was very much a case of us having made a huge mistake.

Looking at his appearances on Transfermarkt after the Accies game mid-August he didn't actually start again until the 1-1 vs Celtic at Fir Park mid-December and his next start was when Robinson put out the reserves at Parkhead a week or so later.

Edited by capt_oats

Sammon is a very good signing for League 1 level. Whilst he had a poor season with us, he has a reasonable level of ability if you play to his strengths. We punted balls to him in the first half of the season, which isn’t his game. He never got a sniff in the second half as we had a settled side that was doing well.

Cracking signing for Falkirk, if it is indeed happening.

On 30/06/2019 at 18:36, welldaft said:

So if Cadden goes to the US we get no compensation ? That would be a kick in the haw maws.

On 30/06/2019 at 18:44, capt_oats said:

Maybe. Maybe not.

Cadden to MLS

Looks like the club trying to sign think they’d only have to give us a nominal sum - less than 100k. 

1 hour ago, Casagolda said:

Cadden to MLS

Looks like the club trying to sign think they’d only have to give us a nominal sum - less than 100k. 

I can see the MLS thing being a bit messy because (as they acknowledge themselves) they don't have designated categories. On top of that, Scott Burns is saying they don't actually have a VISA spot for him so they'd have to loan the player straight back out. There's also that weird centralised registration thing with players that was highlighted when Andy Rose moved to Vancouver and there was a legacy transfer from Seattle.

As far as I can see it would effectively hinge on the discussion between MLS and FIFA.

According to Burrows a while back on Twitter "in my time at MFC we haven’t ever offered a contract to a player who has subsequently rejected it to sign for a club in a category lower than us (Category II).".

You'd have been looking at €600k (approx. £538k) if a player with Cadden's time here moved to a similarly categorised club under UEFA jurisdiction. €300k the tier below and €100k in the bottom grouping. When it comes to MLS it's anyone's guess.

1590407644_ScreenShot2019-07-04at09_38_42.png.3ed0e181544cc1fe6d88528945e5c1e2.png

Source

Edited by capt_oats

3 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Tbh I don't actually think Sammon would have done all that worse than Main in the 4-3-3.

The problem was we started launching things at his heid from 60 yards every time he got on the ball. He actually had a decent turn of pace and touch on him. 

Not sure about the finishing mind. 

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

The problem was we started launching things at his heid from 60 yards every time he got on the ball. He actually had a decent turn of pace and touch on him. 

Not sure about the finishing mind. 

The real problem was that he was fuckin dugmeat.