Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

10 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Problem Robinson has is he had four wingers last season and lost all four of them this summer. Which was a bit of a disaster tbh for a team that lines up with two wingers every week.

The lack of any decent wide men in the 20’s just compounds this. Apparently the likes of Polworth and Scott have had to play out wide during pre-season as result. 

if it is indeed true I imagine it’s because Robinson will see him as a cheap squad filler. While Frear has probably went looking and realised he wasn’t going to get a better gig elsewhere. 

As an aside, did anyone actually see the trialist play last night? Or are people genuinely just wanting to sign him on the back of one- albeit excellent- goal against some non league outfit.

Pretty much.

As it stands Hylton is our only obvious wide player. It'd be remiss to ignore the fact that Cole can play wide but it's surely no coincidence that the bulk of his goals at other clubs seem to have come when he's been used as a centre forward.

Even if we were to sign the trialist then we're still 2 wingers short. One guaranteed starter and one for cover. I'm sure we're hanging around for Gboly but given he's under contract at Forest and will presumably be on more money than we can pay there's no guarantee we get him.

I'm fairly ambivalent about Frear largely because as has been regularly noted on here Robinson seems to have a type and Frear isn't it. Having said that there have been games where he's dug us out a hole and while our transfer strategy seems to have been about recruiting 'forwards' having an out and out winger as an option on the bench is probably a decent thing to have.

Cards fully on the table, I didn't see the trialist so I've no idea whether he was any good or not but thinking about a comment @Swello made yesterday evening I did wonder if he's a genuine trialist or if he's someone we've signed but just haven't registered/announced yet.

54 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Are you new here?

:lol:

No, however I was curious if there was actually somebody there that might have been able to enlighten us as to whether he genuinely looked decent or just happened to score an absolute worldie. 

51 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Cards fully on the table, I didn't see the trialist so I've no idea whether he was any good or not but thinking about a comment @Swello made yesterday evening I did wonder if he's a genuine trialist or if he's someone we've signed but just haven't registered/announced yet.

We’re not usually particularly secretive about trialists are we?  Pretty sure Kipre, Dembele and the striker boy were all well documented to be on trial a few summers ago. 

I was never a Frear 'hater', to be honest I thought a lot of the stick he received at times was a bit unfair but it does appear to be a bit of a squad filling exercise.

Frear has been here for quite a wee while now and repeatedly struggled to make any sort of sustained impact. A good crosser but lacks the physicality required to play in the SPFL.

I'd honestly rather we moved on and looked at other options. I suppose we know what we are getting with Frear though, basically a bench option who will be good for a few assists per season but I don't think there is any chance of him being a first team regular or anything. With Hastie, Cadden and Aribiyi (?) away we certainly need options.

Even if we retain Frear, I would still like to see another couple of wingers and another experienced striker come in.

Edited by Luke92

As much as I'd be happy to have someone more interesting, different and better than Frear, I'd definitely rather have him than just collect another body like we did last year with Sammon.

He's good for at least one game a season to absolutely torment a full-back, so I suppose that's fine. Big shrug.

Also, him on the left leaves space for Ainsworth to come back on the right, so that's fine.

Edited by thisGRAEME

19 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

As much as I'd be happy to have someone more interesting, different and better than Frear, I'd definitely rather have him than just collect another body like we did last year with Sammon.

He's good for at least one game a season to absolutely torment a full-back, so I suppose that's fine. Big shrug.

Also, him on the left leaves space for Ainsworth to come back on the right, so that's fine.

Ariyibi & Frear for the left wing spots.  Ainsworth & Hylton for the right side.  I'd take that.

Also, Ainsworth & Hylton sounds like the name of a Chartered Accountants you'd find on your local high street...

23 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

We’re not usually particularly secretive about trialists are we?  Pretty sure Kipre, Dembele and the striker boy were all well documented to be on trial a few summers ago. 

That's the part that I don't get. Surely the people who matter - scouts, agents, other clubs at our budget level - will know who is available (and who's interested). Just because we as supporters don't recognise a player doesn't mean that people in the game don't. In any case, most people would suggest that pretty much the worst way to keep a trialist secret would be to splash him all over your Socials scoring a goal that Brazil 1970 would have been pleased with.....

31 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

:lol:

No, however I was curious if there was actually somebody there that might have been able to enlighten us as to whether he genuinely looked decent or just happened to score an absolute worldie. 

The thing is we actually got pipped to signing dembele and basically Kipre was second choice to him as he performed decently on trial and ultimately he made the club a million and possibly more.

14 minutes ago, supermarv said:

The thing is we actually got pipped to signing dembele and basically Kipre was second choice to him as he performed decently on trial and ultimately he made the club a million and possibly more.

I'm sure some mob in the French 3rd division offered Dembele about £6k* a week which obviously blew us clean out the water.

*I may have exaggerated this figure.

1 minute ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'm not really sure what the point of fan ownership is if we can't force the club to sign Ainsworth and Ciftci.

I think the point is to allow needy c***s to demand to know every detail on the day to day running of the club.

"they haven't even told us who the new soap supplier is for the East Staun bogs!!!1! Burrows oot"

54 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I'm sure some mob in the French 3rd division offered Dembele about £6k* a week which obviously blew us clean out the water.

*I may have exaggerated this figure.

That's my recollection as well tbh.

We offered him a deal. He went back to London to "think it over with his family" and was never seen again.

Basically he got a better offer from another club (Laval). There's every chance he had knocked us back before he even got the offer from the French mob.

Edit:

There's a closer look at the mystery trialist. Roughly the same height as Johnson.

Edited by capt_oats

This is why i would quite like to see the highlights of the game, doesn't give you much but its better than a zoomed in weird angle of Danny Johnson lobbing the keeper. The footage is obviously there so why not put it out?

EDIT: And as if my magic, cheers capt_oats

Edited by Neil86

Looking at the footage there, I take it Long went off injured or such?
Johnson wasn't in the starting XI but Hylton was clearly still on the park given he scored and Scott seems to be there after Johnson gets his 1st.

I believe Long limped off very early on. No idea of the severity.

2 hours ago, Mitch said:

I believe Long limped off very early on. No idea of the severity.

Hopefully it is just pre cautionary or nothing serious as he has a real platform to perform here and I see him actually being able to do well for us. How has Hylton played so far I like the look of him and obviously had an excellent season last year and hopefully he can carry on that form with his goals and assists.