Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

20 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Has there been confirmation on what the injury actually is and how long he will be out?

Outcome to the whole thing suits absolutely no one.

Suits me like. I get to watch DT play for Motherwell more. 

It's looking very much as if Celtic have handled this entire affair in the most undignified and classless manner possible.

A crappy wee diddy club with pretensions of grandeur.

Well done to Burrows and co for holding firm. I've been cool with the whole thing but would have been raging if we'd accepted an revised offer.

Feel bad for young Turnbull but from a selfish point of view i'm pretty chuffed I might get the chance to see him in C&A for a while longer. I'm sure the board will be cursing their luck on missing out on £3.25m in this window but for me, I'm a fan, and not an accountant, and I just want to see class pler's.

Hopefully Turnbull's heads not gone and he recovers from whatever problem he has in good time. 

Edited by Londonwell

2 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Well, maybe, depending on how long he is out.

If all goes to plan, 12 weeks from surgery.  So you'd be looking at an early November comeback. 

The January window might come too soon for any club to take a gamble on him.  That then takes us to next summer, when he'll only have one year left on his contract.  While I'm chuffed he won't be playing for Celtic (at least anytime soon), I think we can kiss goodbye to us getting £3m+ for him. 

2 minutes ago, gannonball said:

The statement including thanking Motherwell and wishing David the best with his operation would suggest otherwise.

Will Motherwell want to deal with Celtic given the very public nature of the deal to date? Will the player want to go to Celtic given the way this has worked out?

Did Motherwell know about the issue beforehand?

8 minutes ago, Ross. said:

The way it has been described is that it's a "preventative surgery" so it sounds like there's been a potential issue flagged rather than him being injured per se.

FWIW: since his first start against St Johnstone last season he only missed 2 of 30 games (unused sub) and completed 90 mins in 21 of them. There's nothing to suggest that he was playing through an injury or that his fitness was being managed.

Edited by capt_oats

5 minutes ago, Ross. said:

It's preventative surgery, so there's not exactly an injury to know about just now.  Added to that, Turnbull won't have been with Motherwell at any point since the end of the last season.  We also don't, to my knowledge, stick our players through various in-depth scans at random intervals. 

Long term it's good news for the player, in that it's sorted now and he only misses a couple of months as opposed to something major somewhere down the line.  Not ideal timing for him, granted.

2 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Will Motherwell want to deal with Celtic given the very public nature of the deal to date? Will the player want to go to Celtic given the way this has worked out?

If Celtic offer the right cash like before then yes. Given he already agreed to come I would say so. Can’t see a player being bitter as its not their fault he needs an op. Celtic understandably tried restructuring the deal but Motherwell would rather risk it and potentially get even more money if he comes back just as good/better.

Would be totally speculative to suggest they knew about it, you could even speculate it might be why he signed a deal in January.

Whilst we may have better medical options and facilities , having the op then a season or so at Motherwll to get him up and trucking is probably the right the right thing for him right now.

As there is a legitimate issue, I can understand Celtic dropping it (although the low-ball offer/loan thing is grim). I do wonder if they will regret doing so though - if this is a routine/preventative thing that could mean him being back in late autumn - they'd still have the player they wanted barring a major disaster. As things stand now, there is nothing to say that they get him in future... 

1 minute ago, Desp said:

It's preventative surgery, so there's not exactly an injury to know about just now.  Added to that, Turnbull won't have been with Motherwell at any point since the end of the last season.  We also don't, to my knowledge, stick our players through various in-depth scans at random intervals. 

Long term it's good news for the player, in that it's sorted now and he only misses a couple of months as opposed to something major somewhere down the line.  Not ideal timing for him, granted.

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

The way it has been described is that it's a "preventative surgery" so it sounds like there's been a potential issue flagged rather than him being injured per se.

FWIW: since his first start against St Johnstone last season he only missed 2 of 30 games (unused sub) and completed 90 mins in 21 of them. There's nothing to suggest that he was playing through an injury or that his fitness was being managed.

Definitely a blow for the boy. The hugely public nature of the whole thing has definitely rattled the perspective on it. Celtic were being embarrassed no matter what the way it's worked out, the borderline begging their fans not to get angry with them at the start, then losing out in the end despite looking like it was all but done. At the same time, had they signed him and the boy did get injured, they'd have been slaughtered for ignoring the medical.

Shame for Motherwell who are now losing a huge fee and probably getting less when he does go, and a bigger shame for Turnbull who now faces time out, faces questions over his fitness, has probably had his confidence knocked by the whole thing and how it has been played out, as well as losing out on life changing money.

Clusterfuck all round.

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2019/06/27/david-turnbull-to-stay-at-motherwell/

David Turnbull's dedication to banter shouldn't ever be forgotten. Sounds like a long term injury though - hope he comes through it all ok.

I await Celtic's entitled tear stained reply....

One way of summing it up is just our luck.

We are about to double our record transfer fee and out of seemingly no where it transpires he needs significant knee surgery. You could not make it up. 

Sort term nobody wins. We lose out on significant chunk of cash and probably puts a huge dent in our transfer plans. Celtic miss out on the best young player in Scotland. Turnbull misses out on a career and life changing move. 

Out for 3 months is a long time and as easy as it would be to have a go at Celtic. What were they suppose to do. The loan suggestion if true is a brass neck and rightly they were told to do one.  Nobody knows how serious this is. He may well come back to his normal self, he may well come back better. But there is also an outside chance this surgery does not address the issue and he is a lesser player and / or it reoccurs. 

I hope the surgery is a big success and he comes back as he finished last season and we and he realise his undoubted potential. Who knows we may end up getting more money, but right now £3m is the benchmark. 

The benefit is that Well fans will hopefully get to see him play in claret and amber for at least another 2-3 months. 

2 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Turnbull misses out on a career and life changing move. 

Being talented while sitting on Celtic's bench is not a career or life changing move.

For further information, see the career that Scott Brown could've had if he had a shred of ambition.