Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Just now, dezz said:

Where you seeing this? Anything credible or just a bit of twitter chat?

Found a few bits on Twitter.  Chat being Norwich found something during his medical down there (did he even have a medical down there?) which led to Turnbull "turning down" their offer.  Celtic now found something similar. 

Even with the alleged issue of Ross Hall being unavailable for a medical, it's a long wait for something official to come out of Celtic, considering he was pictured with a Celtic top on Friday morning.

I've just seen the few Twitter posts. There's a photo of him allegedly at Glasgow Airport with a Celtic physio but as a few people on SO have pointed out, it looks awfy weird - a bit 'photoshoppy'.

This does sound like a bit of internet nonsense, but as @Swello says...who knows with this one anymore.

The lad went down to Norwich was given 5k extra compared to Celtic’s offer but game time wasn’t guaranteed so he signed for Celtic simple as that. Just want to add this is from someone close to Turnbull but this was this morning so something may have happened today or over the weekend that they aren’t aware of. Liverpool interest was true aswell.

Edited by supermarv

19 minutes ago, supermarv said:

The lad went down to Norwich was given 5k extra compared to Celtic’s offer but game time wasn’t guaranteed so he signed for Celtic simple as that. Just want to add this is from someone close to Turnbull but this was this morning so something may have happened today or over the weekend that they aren’t aware of. Liverpool interest was true aswell.

The man has spoken. Good to put an end to any doubt. 

How do you fail a medical?

With the 15 goals Turnbull scored last season, I’d express my doubts he’s been playing with some mysterious injury!

In all seriousness out with football manager land, it's not something I've ever heard of despite it being something that players have to get before signing. From recent memory, even Arsenal managed to sign Kim Kallstrom on loan and it turned out he had a 2 month injury to run.

Last I heard along with others was that Turnbull, along with Aribo (sp?) that Rangers are signing have had to get their medicals done in Manchester because Scottish facilities aren't available. Nothing would surprise any more mind you in this transfer saga!

8 minutes ago, BigTamMuller said:

Last I heard along with others was that Turnbull, along with Aribo (sp?) that Rangers are signing have had to get their medicals done in Manchester because Scottish facilities aren't available. Nothing would surprise any more mind you in this transfer saga!

I think that’ll be it to be honest. The medical results are delayed a bit meaning they can’t officially sign him yet. Pretty much looks like it’s just an admin thing and he’ll be announced as soon as it’s all wrapped up. With the nature of this saga and the fact there’s further delays, the internet will speculate until it’s all properly wrapped up. Would be a great laugh if there is another dramatic u-turn though.

7 minutes ago, BigTamMuller said:

How do you fail a medical?

With the 15 goals Turnbull scored last season, I’d express my doubts he’s been playing with some mysterious injury!

In all seriousness out with football manager land, it's not something I've ever heard of despite it being something that players have to get before signing. From recent memory, even Arsenal managed to sign Kim Kallstrom on loan and it turned out he had a 2 month injury to run.

https://www.90min.com/posts/4370134-10-players-who-have-failed-their-medicals-ahead-of-big-money-transfers

In honesty I can't even remember Turnbull having had any sort of injury issues during his time at the club.

I suppose there's a chance that his initial medical has thrown up an abnormality or discrepancy that they may want to double check. It doesn't need to be the case that he's carrying an injury as such or that it should be something that would have stopped him playing but if scans have thrown up something that may be problematic in the future.

Considering it's a literal multi-million pound deal you'd think they'd need anything that's flagged cleared before they sign off.

I think they are going today on a ferry as James Scott posted a picture of the team on a ferry

I can't believe anyone is doubting the SteelmenOnline detectives when they have this kind of track record. You don't just pull this shit out of nowhere you know.

Bury -> Motherwell -> Brisbane purely in terms of location is some move.

No idea what sort of wages they pay in the A-League but I imagine he’ll do alright and get to live in a cracking city. Well in Tam.

Fair play to big Tommy. A great move, for a thoroughly decent guy.

Thinking more about this season, I know we've all been looking at Hartley potentially being on his way out, but is there any chance him and Dunne at centre-half is perhaps the way we're looking? I think we all ended up considering him surplus, partially as him and Aldred looked a bit sluggish, but surely him and Dunne would be close to a plug and play replacement?

Gallagher & Dunne will the starting two, IMO.  Option is there as well for Hartley to come into a back three if Robinson fancies going baws-oot 3-4-3.

Agree with @Desp. The assumption on my part was that we'd stick with a back 4 and Gallagher alongside Dunne looks the obvious pairing.

If we're looking at an alternative shape where needs be (we never really  had one in the 2nd half of last season, it was almost exclusively 433) then the 352/3412 could come into play:

Gillespie
Gallagher Hartley Dunne
Tait Campbell Sloth Carroll
Polworth
Long Johnson

My question with Hartley was really how much he'd expect to play. At the moment he still looks like a back up centre half.

Fwiw: I'd be absolutely fine with Hartley sticking around as given the amount of work that still needs done in the final third having to recruit a competent centre back who'd be happy sat on the bench as cover seems like an additional bawache.

This is weirdly timely. From Sports Editor at BBC Sheffield. Seems a legit guy, followed by actual real life people.

Hartley's patched a move to Chesterfield.

Assuming your man from the BBC is correct then while he may have kb'd Chesterfield it suggests that Hartley's guy is looking for options on his behalf.

Also, continuing the wild speculation and assumption on my part I'd guess if he's knocked them back but has been speaking to them then Motherwell are taking a "we won't stand in your way" position. Which is absolutely fine if a player wants more regular game time IMO.

Edited by capt_oats