Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Some of the patter in here over the last couple of days, goodness me.

I'd take big weird Kyle or big weird Erwin. Both fairly similar, both capable of being absolute pests. 

Neither are Nadir or Lionel though, so pass.

37 minutes ago, ropy said:
The Lafferty chat seems to be that people have heard or read somewhere else, where is that place? I suspect there is something of the urban myth here.

Aye, I’m not sure where this version has come from but I definitely saw it mentioned on Steelmen a while back around the time it broke that he was getting binned by Gerrard.

Found it, it's actually in the Maurice Ross thread after he mentioned Lafferty's name in the MFC Podcast interview tbh I always just took that mention as an example to illustrate a point however it's been mentioned that Mo himself has 'liked' the Viva Motherwell tweet below...so it's clearly happening lads.

It was also a topic of conversation on Twitter here (though acknowledges there aren’t any credible sources):

Edited by capt_oats

I said to some mates a few weeks ago that I thought we would be sniffing about Lafferty. Absolutely no inside knowledge, it was just a hunch due to Robinson’s connection to him through NI and also his brother in law taking up the youth coaching role.

Maybe one of them decided to start planting the rumours around [emoji23]

Loving the rumours spreading on the notorious Well Fans II that the Turnbull deal is on the verge of collapse and that Celtic are trying to change the deal. 😂 Odds on he’ll get announced in the morning and the outrage will be fierce

15 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Constructive criticism is always acceptable you take it to a whole different level,your disliking Celtic is also on a whole different level.
You have no tolerance for anything Celtic which in turn makes you a bigot.

Is hating a club who covered up child abuse bigoted? I'm a bigot then.

With the Turnball stuff, I'm way past Shock, Denial, Bargaining, Acceptance and am now at "get in a lower league maverick with a patchy record over the past few years".

Hope it's all out the way today.

Indeed.  I mentioned something similar on Twitter.  McFadden was a genius as a player, but as both a pundit and a coach, he's been utterly horrendous. 

As for the Lafferty chat, he'd be a brilliant signing for us.  Who's his brother-in-law though?  O'Dea?

Get the idea of re-signing Lee Erwin in the bin though.

That story is the vaguest of vague news. It only says he sought their advice, absolutely nothing to say McFadden told him this or that. It might have been as simple as telling him what he should consider when weighing up his options.

10 hours ago, ropy said:

The Lafferty chat seems to be that people have heard or read somewhere else, where is that place? I suspect there is something of the urban myth here.

I’m pretty sure it was Maurice Ross that mentioned him on the MFC podcast? 

Sure he said something along the line of ‘ we’d love to bring in Kyle Lafferty but we can’t afford him’- which to me anyway, was a bit too specific for it just to be a random name he plucked out of thin air. 

That’s what made me think it was something that had maybe been at least discussed at some point. 

37 minutes ago, Desp said:

Indeed.  I mentioned something similar on Twitter.  McFadden was a genius as a player, but as both a pundit and a coach, he's been utterly horrendous. 

As for the Lafferty chat, he'd be a brilliant signing for us.  Who's his brother-in-law though?  O'Dea?

Get the idea of re-signing Lee Erwin in the bin though.

Aye, it's O'Dea.

The Northern Ireland star married brunette beauty Vanessa Chung, 23, on Saturday accompanied by friends and family.

The East Kilbride model, whose sister Melissa is married to former Celtic star Darren O'Dea, is said to be travelling alongside her family to watch Kyle, 28, take part in Euro 2016 with the Northern Ireland squad in France.

Ross definitely mentioned Lafferty in the MFC Podcast interview. IIRC the context was around budgets and what we can/can't afford it was something along the lines of "if we want to sign Kyle Lafferty but he wants X amount then it's miles out our price range so we move on to the next level down, if we can't afford that we move on..."

At the time I just took it as being a case of illustrating a point but as @Casagolda says it's a quite specific reference.

There are loads of pieces that fit in terms of him being surplus to requirements at Rangers, the Robinson N.Ireland thing, the O'Dea Connection, he lives in E.K but the crux of the matter that his wages are miles out our bracket hasn't changed.

The only way it really happens is if Rangers mutually consent with him getting a lump sum to settle the last year of his contract and him signing up in our wage bracket or a season loan to see him to the end of his deal with us contributing a nominal amount (eg: Ciftci, Sammon...Aldred as well I suppose).

Edited by capt_oats

16 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

There are loads of pieces that fit in terms of him being surplus to requirements at Rangers, the Robinson N.Ireland thing, the O'Dea Connection, he lives in E.K but the crux of the matter that his wages are miles out our bracket hasn't changed.

All that plus his goals to games at Fir Park ratio must be very decent.

3 hours ago, Pettigrew said:

All that plus his goals to games at Fir Park ratio must be very decent.

The same could have been said for Alex Burns when he played with Partick Thistle then he reverted to being the Alex Burns we all knew when we re-signed him.

Conspiracy theories flying around today re Turnbull... failed medical at Celtic being the number one.
Shirley not?

Where you seeing this? Anything credible or just a bit of twitter chat?