Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 minutes ago, Swello said:

Celtic at home on the second game of the season - hmmm

Will it be 12.30pm Sat or a Sunday...

28 minutes ago, Swello said:

D9kbKnhWsAE5dqG.jpg:large

Aside from the boxing day trip to Dingwall and Ibrox before the split - not much to complain about there....

Coming down for the bromance Christmas party on the 21st though. Looking forward to it already. :)

Neil Lennon on Sky Sports News saying that Turnbull is at Celtic Park for his medical, and that if that goes smoothly he will sign this afternoon. I take it that the hordes of Celtic fans slagging him off in the last week will be booing him all of next season, as he either sits on the bench or in the stand watching most matches. No doubt he’ll get a game against the likes of Ross County on the weekend before an important Champions League or Europa League match.

Edited by kingjoey

8 hours ago, Snifter Pee Rot said:

Not the outcome that Motherwell wanted although the boy is still only 19 and was probably too soon for him to go down south.  He will get game time at Celtic.  

Like Lewis Morgan, eh? Don’t get me wrong, he’s a talented lad, and he’ll get game time alright - on their pre-season tours, in the League Cup, coming on as a sub away to Livvy - that kind of thing. Then, after a while, as Celtic, and Celtic fans, want bigger names in their team than a raw 19 year old, he will be sent out on loan, before eventually joining a Norwich, a Derby, or a Leeds type of club. ‘To get his career on track’.

We’ve seen this movie before. Celtic hoover up any Scottish talent, because they can, and us poor diddy clubs have no hand to play.

Best wishes to young Turnbull - Derby County / (insert equivalent club name here) legend, season 2022/23.

Edited by pozbaird

Guest Moomintroll
Neil Lennon on Sky Sports News saying that Turnbull is at Celtic Park for his medical, and that if that goes smoothly he will sign this afternoon. I take it that the hordes of Celtic fans slagging him off in the last week will be booing him all of next season, as he either sits on the bench or in the stand watching most matches. No doubt he’ll get a game against the likes of Ross County on the weekend before an important Champions League or Europa League match.
No, that's not how it works. If you are outwith the cult you are contemptible, as soon as you submit to them then nothing you have done previously matters, anything you have done before is something to do with theyum.

19 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Like Lewis Morgan, eh? Don’t get me wrong, he’s a talented lad, and he’ll get game time alright - on their pre-season tours, in the League Cup, coming on as a sub away to Livvy - that kind of thing. Then, after a while, as Celtic, and Celtic fans, want bigger names in their team than a raw 19 year old, he will be sent out on loan, before eventually joining a Norwich, a Derby, or a Leeds type of club. ‘To get his career on track’.

We’ve seen this movie before. Celtic hoover up any Scottish talent, because they can, and us poor diddy clubs have no hand to play.

Best wishes to young Turnbull - Derby County / (insert equivalent club name here) legend, season 2022/23.

He's a better footballer, with more experience of a higher level than Morgan, so he'll play, and be brilliant, IMO.

Celtic's midfield is good, yes, but I'd be very surprised to see all of their bodies they currently have there at the end of the window. There's a lot going on down south, and if Villa have told Leicester to bolt from John McGinn, you wouldn't exactly be surprised to see McGregor turn up there?

Just now, thisGRAEME said:

He's a better footballer, with more experience of a higher level than Morgan, so he'll play, and be brilliant, IMO.

Celtic's midfield is good, yes, but I'd be very surprised to see all of their bodies they currently have there at the end of the window. There's a lot going on down south, and if Villa have told Leicester to bolt from John McGinn, you wouldn't exactly be surprised to see McGregor turn up there?

Bookmark my post, and in 2022, if any of us can be arsed, let’s see!

29 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

They didn't pay 3 mill+ for Morgan. 3 million is a fairly big fee for even Celtic to see him sit on the bench.  Lennon really rates him and was his #1 target, Lennon is also a stubborn c**t so I reckon he will get plenty of game time even if he's not playing well..

31 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Normally I'd agree (see Allan, Hayes, Christie,...Ciftci?, Pearson, Mcdonald etc etc ) but £3m+ is a big hoover. 

26 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
38 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

No, that's not how it works. If you are outwith the cult you are contemptible, as soon as you submit to them then nothing you have done previously matters, anything you have done before is something to do with theyum.

It's almost as if football fans are generally just complete hypocrites.

Not sure how this move will work out for the player. In Lennons first stint in charge, there was a good 18 month period where the side was built around getting the ball to Commons and letting him have a dig from 30 yards. That approach would certainly suit Turnbull. On the other hand, if he doesn't hit the ground running he could definitely struggle for time on the pitch.

2 minutes ago, Stonegiant said:

Normally I'd agree (see Allan, Hayes, Christie,...Ciftci?, Pearson, Mcdonald etc etc ) but £3m+ is a big hoover. 

McDonald and Pearson were regulars for much of their time at Celtic. Hayes was starting to get a run when he got his leg broken in his first season, and was playing regularly the second half of last season. Christie is probably the closest one. Standout for ICT but took another 2 and a half years spent on loan to get near the Celtic team, and even then had to wait for injuries to gift him a place.

2 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

They didn't pay 3 mill+ for Morgan. 3 million is a fairly big fee for even Celtic to see him sit on the bench.  Lennon really rates him and was his #1 target, Lennon is also a stubborn c**t so I reckon he will get plenty of game time even if he's not playing well..

Celtic, after ‘McGinn to Villa’ have paid a fair whack, by Scottish standards, this time. I have said Turnbull is a talented lad, I wish any young guy well, and make a wedge. Any young talent isn’t going to make a wedge at Motherwell, or St Mirren, so they will move (after what feels like ten minutes these days).

All I can do is to say I have posted my view, I believe it will be what happens, so let’s see.

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

Celtic, after ‘McGinn to Villa’ have paid a fair whack, by Scottish standards, this time. I have said Turnbull is a talented lad, I wish any young guy well, and make a wedge. Any young talent isn’t going to make a wedge at Motherwell, or St Mirren, so they will move (after what feels like ten minutes these days).

All I can do is to say I have posted my view, I believe it will be what happens, so let’s see.

Well that's it mate, time will tell.  Definitely better chance of game time at Celtic than Norwich who will spend next season as cannon fodder for City, Liverpool and the likes.

28 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

12 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

Agreed the Morgan comparisons don't really stand up. Morgan is a player from a lower level trying to get a start ahead of Forrest and Sinclair who aren't injury prone. Far more opportunities for Turnbull especially with Ntcham most likely away and Rogic often injured and lacking fitness. Mcgregor played nearly 69 games last season which is something that needs addressed that Turnbull could potentially fit.

I still think Morgan is a player but he was one that was most likely have to be developed for a few seasons first like Christie and Rogic. Turnbull development wise is way ahead than they were joining so will probably get about 15/20 starts this season and go up and up from there.