Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

If the money's around the same then I reckon a mid table championship team is probably the best case scenario from our perspective. I've no idea about Sheffield Wednesday's outgoing transfers over the last few years, but you'd assume if Turnbull carries on progressing like this he's bound to end up in the Premiership eventually. More chance of getting a decent sell on fee if he's getting regular football in the Championship rather than making the leap to Southampton etc directly.

It was Steve Bruce that took John McGinn to Aston Villa (even though he got sacked) he’s done really well this season in a Villa shirt under Dean Smith so hopefully he see’s McGinn as an example that you can make the step up from SPFL to the championship. Bruce knows a good player when he see’s one so if true he’d be a very good addition to not only the squad but to the starting 11. We’ve got rid of a lot of dead wood at the club that was on a high wages so wages would not be an issue it’s just the 3 million that maybe the issue with us near the FFP but if he gets offered a 4/5 year deal then I don’t see 3 million being an issue either hopefully.

4 minutes ago, Arbroathlegend36-0 said:

It was Steve Bruce that took John McGinn to Aston Villa (even though he got sacked) he’s done really well this season in a Villa shirt under Dean Smith so hopefully he see’s McGinn as an example that you can make the step up from SPFL to the championship. Bruce knows a good player when he see’s one so if true he’d be a very good addition to not only the squad but to the starting 11. We’ve got rid of a lot of dead wood at the club that was on a high wages so wages would not be an issue it’s just the 3 million that maybe the issue with us near the FFP but if he gets offered a 4/5 year deal then I don’t see 3 million being an issue either hopefully.

Did Bruce sign Robertson at Hull too?

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Tbh, the story all along has been that his preferred route is England. The problem here is that Celtic (as far as I know) are the only team with the money on the table and he's not convinced by them and/or doesn't really fancy them hence their offer hasn't been accepted and the decision is to see what the other options are.

Allegedly Stuart Armstrong was in much the same situation. He fancied going down south straight away but there wasn't an offer anywhere close to us to sell to.  For me Armstrong became a far far better player at us before going to the EPL but is still struggling however Turnbull seems much far on his development than Armstrong was at that age. I think a Premiership chasing club would suit him right now rather than an actual EPL team as there is a fair bit more games in the championship to get starts and can then hopefully go up in to the EPL as an established team player in the team. We can also help that ‘jump’ better to the EPL though but I can understand why Motherwell fans would rather see him go elsewhere.

57 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Allegedly Stuart Armstrong was in much the same situation. He fancied going down south straight away but there wasn't an offer anywhere close to us to sell to.  For me Armstrong became a far far better player at us before going to the EPL but is still struggling however Turnbull seems much far on his development than Armstrong was at that age. I think a Premiership chasing club would suit him right now rather than an actual EPL team as there is a fair bit more games in the championship to get starts and can then hopefully go up in to the EPL as an established team player in the team. We can also help that ‘jump’ better to the EPL though but I can understand why Motherwell fans would rather see him go elsewhere.

Aye. His agent's the same guy who reps Armstrong.

It's a pretty weird situation as I can't think of many 19 year olds at a 'provincial' Scottish club who have rejected (or more accurately initially chosen not to accept) a contract offer from Celtic like this (which I suppose is why it's pretty funny looking in on it).

There's obviously a parallel with McGinn but that offer (famously) wasn't accepted so it didn't get to the conversation stage so there wasn't really anything to turn down on the part of the player.

I'm also a bit surprised at Celtic seemingly being OK with him openly having them as his insurance and heading off to look at other options. 

The fact they went from a verbal offer of £1.2m to a Motherwell club record £3m in the space of a week suggests that they must have been mindful of potential interest that would have been problematic to compete against, though in turn it looks like the player/agent have countered that by holding off, which is probably where the 'wage demands' come in. If it was a club he was actually keen on signing for I think he'd be far more accommodating and flexible.

Going by the much derided Tweet "it is now up to the agent and player to decide if the player wants to join Celtic." suggests the offer is still there although equally it having been made clear that the terms weren't acceptable to the player at least in part answers that question. I still think there's a decent chance he ends up at Parkhead tbh.

If they're keeping the offer on the table and not completely closing the door then it suggests they're OK with the possibility of it being revisited. I get that they may be open to showing a bit of patience but you wouldn't think Turnbull and his agent will be able to stall for that long. The way things have gone to date it already looks like he's lukewarm on the move.

I've a feeling if the right English club came along Motherwell would find a way to make the deal work as long as it was roughly in the same club record ball-park even if it was shaving a bit off the up-front fee and add another 5%-10% to a sell-on.

Either way it's a win : win for Motherwell; 

• If he moves to Celtic it's a transformational club record deal 
  • if he moves to a lower EPL/Championship side it will be degrees of the same with potentially a greater yield in the back end
  • if he stays (unlikely) the club retains their best player and highest value asset so they try again in the January window
Edited by capt_oats

That Alan Nixon agent guy saying on twitter that the move to Celtic is expected to be back on this week.

Just like most other transfers then, fee agreed, personal terms offered, agents makes counter offer, both parties consider their next move. Only in this case Celtic made an arse of it by releasing an embarrassing tweet and the fans of every other club go mental. [emoji4]

1 hour ago, dezz said:

That Alan Nixon agent guy saying on twitter that the move to Celtic is expected to be back on this week.

If no one else bites at c.£3m then I'd imagine that's how it'll go. As I say, they can't stall indefinitely.

In fairness they've given it every chance to get other teams involved; Leaked the verbal offer, confirmed publicly there had been a bid accepted (with Celtic's approval tbf), agent rejected the contract offer and presumably the leak that the deal was "close to collapsing" came from the agent's side as well.

Edited by capt_oats

43 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

Muvvawell.

ETA can’t say I’ve heard of this Nixon fella.

He's very much the "go to" #ITK Journalist on Twitter dot com. That's his brand. Writes with The Sun (which is obviously unfortunate).

Not 100% reliable but similarly he's not some AgentScotland style fraud or Keith Jackson type shitebag. If he's mentioning it there's usually something in it. Whether it plays out is a different story.

His market is usually the English leagues though, which probably means there haven't been any bites from English sides since the Friday announcement. Incidentally am I right in thinking Andy Devlin who ran the Sheffield Wednesday story is a 'Well fan?

This won't be news to anyone on this thread but Nixon posted about DT a week ago:

Which was followed up later in the week with this (and seems largely to be the problem):

Edited by capt_oats

7 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

Only in this case Celtic made an arse of it by releasing an embarrassing tweet and the fans of every other club go mental. emoji4.png

I know, wee Drew.  Bonkers, eh?  Imagine The Diddies going on a feeding-frenzy after your club makes an absolute bollocks of a statement which makes you point and laugh material.

I hate to think this ever happening to Rangers.

What a bizarre transfer all round. 

I refuse to believe that Motherwell and Celtic were in negotiations for weeks and at no point did anyone consult Turnbull on whether or not he actually fancied the move or what was on offer if he went there. For the deal to suddenly break down at the last minute seemed strange but it does happen I suppose, for a multitude of reasons. 

However, for Celtic to chuck their toys straight out the pram in such a public fashion- whilst calling him a money grabber to their pals in media, yet still leaving the deal ‘on the table’ is pretty much unheard of. 

To me, it sounds like Celtic knew they were the only show in town and have called his agents bluff. It’s been what, five days since we accepted their bid? Yet despite all this talk of interest down South, not one other club has bothered to meet our asking price. Which suggests as expected, Alan Burrows and co were right all along.

Fully expect him to be a Celtic player now by the end of the week. Although they’ll argue the ends justify the means, I’m not sure anyone came out of this whole thing looking particularly good.