Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

It's great watching Celtic struggle to deal with the fact that their self-perception is completely false. They think that they are a 'big name' and that that alone will attract players, and they can't deal with the fact that financially they struggle to compete with English Championship clubs. Add in the unrealistic chance of getting Champions League football anymore and it's no wonder they are struggling to attract decent players. The McGinn scenario highlighted this whole thing - they thought the 'draw of Celtic' would be enough, it wasn't and both Hibs and McGinn have been justified with what has happened since.

If you are a talented player who is willing to back yourself, no matter what your motivation, Celtic is not the club you would join. Money? Go to England. Playing at a high level? Go to England. Improve as a player? Go to England.

Only a club that was insecure and seeking approval would tweet what Celtic have done. Embarrassing.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

16 hours ago, BigTamMuller said:

Part of me thinks a part of this is actually the agents influence that’s rejected whatever Celtic have offered - as funny as it is to say that Div has turned down Celtic!

Thinking back to the prolonged wait we had trying to sort out a new contract for DT, IIRC there was a snide comment or two from Stephen Robinson at the agm about his agent being a dick around the several offers we’d made. So that wouldn’t surprise if something similar was played here.

If there’s not been any acceptable bids already from England, or further afield, then I’m not sure if they’ll come in a hurry. Either way, hopefully Div is enjoying his holiday and would more than happily wire him a beer for this bit of patter today!

Fwiw: I've been thinking about this since the whole thing about the 'wage demands' broke.

This is what Div said when he signed the extension:

“There was interest from other clubs but it was always my intention to stay here. It was just about getting the 
right contract.

“The most important thing was getting more experience. I need that game time.

“English clubs were looking at me but I could go there and find myself sitting on the bench or playing U23 football so this is the right place for me."

Link

This is what he was saying about Hastie prior to the Sevco move being official:

“I hope he will sign a new deal here. I’ve been close pals with Jake since we were young and I’ve played with him all the way up, so hopefully he can get that sorted and we can continue to do what we’ve been doing in the first-team.

“He’s had very few games and he’s done so well. He’s scoring loads of goals and he’s set up a couple, so I don’t think you could ask for a better start.

“It’s up to him obviously, but what I would say to him is that he should stay here and try to get game-time, get 50 or 100 games under his belt and then see where the next step takes him. He’s still only a young boy. Obviously, [Rangers are] a big club, so it’s just up to him.

“I’ve been trying to tell him to stay, but I don’t know what is happening. It’s up to him, and I’m sure he’ll make the right decision."

Link

It's almost as if he's being consistent in his position.

I thought the bit in the Express from Scott Burns said quite a lot and it's pretty clear he's been briefed:

The door has not been closed on the move, but there will need to be a significant shift from the Parkhead club’s side to get the deal over the line.

The concern for Turnbull is that he fears, with the offer on the table, that he isn’t being viewed as a regular first-team player.

Celtic know the wage that Turnbull is currently on at Motherwell and, although there has been a significant increase, the feeling is it is not in line with a player who is set to play a big part under Hoops boss Neil Lennon next season.

The Celts are ready to hand Motherwell a club record fee but are notorious for offering lower wages when they take players in from other Scottish clubs.

Turnbull and his representatives don’t feel they are being unfair or have tabled unfair demands. The 19-year-old, who scored 15 league goals last season, knows there is strong interest in him from England.

Sorry about all the C&P.

If nothing else it'd suggest that DT isn't all that fussed whether he signs for Celtic or not.

Edited by capt_oats

The Saturday morning papers are a good read, but are either side (Celtic or the agents) really sharing the weekly wage that has been offered.

Motherwell don’t have a side at this stage of the debate.

I've said all along that for him personally, he knows he'll be making more money than he ever dreamed of wherever he goes, so it's about playing football. As the captain says above he's been absolutely consistent with that so absolutely fair play to the boy.

He might yet end up at Celtic, but if he does it will be because they have told him he'll be a first team player (and are paying him in line with that).

Think the boy should sign for Cellick, what are his other options, fricking Barnsley, that well known powerhouse of a team.

Bloody agents have too much power turning the lads head. Turnbull should look at how well Ryan Christie has turned out for Cellick