Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

30 minutes ago, Desp said:

I think the "hope an English club comes in for him now" is clutching at straws. 

Motherwell wouldn't have released that statement, knowing the backlash they would receive from some, if they weren't sure it was all done and dusted. 

Both parties have been working on this deal for weeks. 

Reading some of Flow's tweets - honestly, it's pushing 11pm and he's online answering some of our absolute moon unit fans who are foaming at the mouth, the guy deserves some sort of medal - the impression I get is that Celtic are the only side who are ready to meet our valuation (obviously that could change but it seems unlikely).

I think it's generally accepted that if say Bournemouth match the offer then our preference would be for Div to go there (who knows it may well be his too) but in Flow's words "it is my belief the offer we have accepted is the optimum we will receive for the player".

If clubs in England haven't/aren't going to bite at that price then we're selling to whoever is offering the best deal.

Edit: :lol: Leicester and West Ham interested in McAlear now...

Edited by capt_oats

42 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Reading some of Flow's tweets - honestly, it's pushing 11pm and he's online answering some of our absolute moon unit fans who are foaming at the mouth, the guy deserves some sort of medal - the impression I get is that Celtic are the only side who are ready to meet our valuation (obviously that could change but it seems unlikely).

I think it's generally accepted that if say Bournemouth match the offer then our preference would be for Div to go there (who knows it may well be his too) but in Flow's words "it is my belief the offer we have accepted is the optimum we will receive for the player".

If clubs in England haven't/aren't going to bite at that price then we're selling to whoever is offering the best deal.

Edit: :lol: Leicester and West Ham interested in McAlear now...

Motherwell seem to be doing something very right in youth development just now, one went to Leeds recently too and some other great prospects apparently.

11 minutes ago, Kuro said:

Motherwell seem to be doing something very right in youth development just now, one went to Leeds recently too and some other great prospects apparently.

Although as a supporter it gets a bit disheartening that although it's lucrative for us - a lot of our best prospects are unlikely to make it anywhere near our first team...

Edited by Swello

5 minutes ago, Swello said:

Although as a supporter it gets a bit disheartening that although it's lucrative for us - a lot of our best prospects are unlikely to make it anywhere near our first team...

How do you mean?  I can't help wondering if they all stayed for a year or two what they could have done

Pleased to see Flow indicating that the money is going to be used for infrastructure and the Academy rather than us going baws oot and chucking money at Andy Roddie and Shaun McSkimming tbh.

Having said that I'm curious as to whether getting this done as early means that Robinson might be able to aim a little higher for key targets, though I suppose there's every chance players and agents might look at us with new found coin and get a bit greedy.

As I said earlier of the new arrivals only Gallagher, Sloth and Polworth seem to be first team starters so there are clearly still positions to be filled.

10 hours ago, Desp said:

Do you have any examples of a club selling a player for the same, or more, than the yearly turnover of the club? 

Since you have this mythical value in your head. How much did you sell him for in your FM game? 

Why do you keep mentioning FM as if it's a hilarious joke?

Scott Browns £4.4m fee should've been reached, or breached, by the end of the complete deal, and before a sell on clause that might never come. If the figures are true you'll come up more than a million short of that.

I'm just frustrated that smaller Scottish clubs are constantly poached by bigger clubs for fees below the players value, purely because they dont seem to think it's their place to be asking for huge figures, shite like "more than our turnover/double our record fee" is just so, so diddy, that shouldn't be the reason you set an amount unless you're absolutely saddled with debt. Players like Turnbull dont come along often, and it's a chance for clubs like Motherwell to raise the ceiling on what other clubs can demand, as it would be all relative to the Turnbull fee, now though any young talent who breaks through and rips apart the league will have a ceiling price of £3m as that's what Motherwell have accepted. You yourselves will now suffer from that too, as all your players will be held against Turnbull. We're havin this issue where Barnsley signed Liam Lindsay for £250k, and now they're seemingly badgering us with offers below that for Kerr, and running off laughing when we ask for more.

I understand the reasons behind the fee, it's just frustration that a missed opportunity has been so easily thrown away.

Edited by RandomGuy.

6 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Having said that I'm curious as to whether getting this done as early means that Robinson might be able to aim a little higher for key targets, though I suppose there's every chance players and agents might look at us with new found coin and get a bit greedy.

I'm 100% behind spending the money on long term stuff and we simply must do that  - but I think they may need to make at least one higher profile signing to keep the worst of the perma-ragers from getting the pitchforks out. I don't envy the next signing, who 'Flow was promising soon - he's going to be arriving at an unfortunate time (especially if he's from the lower tiers of English football....)

42 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Why do you keep mentioning FM as if it's a hilarious joke?

Scott Browns £4.4m fee should've been reached, or breached, by the end of the complete deal, and before a sell on clause that might never come. If the figures are true you'll come up more than a million short of that.

I'm just frustrated that smaller Scottish clubs are constantly poached by bigger clubs for fees below the players value, purely because they dont seem to think it's their place to be asking for huge figures, shite like "more than our turnover/double our record fee" is just so, so diddy, that shouldn't be the reason you set an amount unless you're absolutely saddled with debt. Players like Turnbull dont come along often, and it's a chance for clubs like Motherwell to raise the ceiling on what other clubs can demand, as it would be all relative to the Turnbull fee, now though any young talent who breaks through and rips apart the league will have a ceiling price of £3m as that's what Motherwell have accepted. You yourselves will now suffer from that too, as all your players will be held against Turnbull. We're havin this issue where Barnsley signed Liam Lindsay for £250k, and now they're seemingly badgering us with offers below that for Kerr, and running off laughing when we ask for more.

I understand the reasons behind the fee, it's just frustration that a missed opportunity has been so easily thrown away.

'shite like "more than our turnover/double our record fee" is just so, so diddy'? Rubbish.

If you run a business and you get offered twice your annual turnover for what is a short term asset then you don't just ignore it. It is a fact of life that the fee is relative to the size of the selling club, and it isn't purely determined on the relative ability of a footballer. That's a huge amount of money for Motherwell and allows them to reinvest in the club in several different ways without diverting any of their existing budget. That's before you consider what the player wants, what holding a player against his will does to Motherwell as a prospect for talented youngsters, the potential for injury, a drop in form etc etc.

They maybe could have squeezed a bit more out of this deal but it's hardly a steal.

4 hours ago, Swello said:

I'm 100% behind spending the money on long term stuff and we simply must do that  - but I think they may need to make at least one higher profile signing to keep the worst of the perma-ragers from getting the pitchforks out. I don't envy the next signing, who 'Flow was promising soon - he's going to be arriving at an unfortunate time (especially if he's from the lower tiers of English football....)

Aye, that's what I was getting at tbh. We announced Polworth back in April so we've clearly been anticipating/working on Div's exit probably since he signed his new deal in January.

You'd think we're self-aware enough to realise that moving him on (even for a fee that "vastly exceeds our record fee received") means that they need to do something to keep folk onside.

4 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

'shite like "more than our turnover/double our record fee" is just so, so diddy'? Rubbish.

If you run a business and you get offered twice your annual turnover for what is a short term asset then you don't just ignore it. It is a fact of life that the fee is relative to the size of the selling club, and it isn't purely determined on the relative ability of a footballer. That's a huge amount of money for Motherwell and allows them to reinvest in the club in several different ways without diverting any of their existing budget. That's before you consider what the player wants, what holding a player against his will does to Motherwell as a prospect for talented youngsters, the potential for injury, a drop in form etc etc.

They maybe could have squeezed a bit more out of this deal but it's hardly a steal.

Definitely. The idea that we've somehow just rolled over is wild. As I said earlier in the thread Turnbull could quite easily have done the same as Hastie and patched our contract offer and walked for a dev fee. He didn't, instead he signed a 2 year deal.

The part a huge number of utter VLs on Motherwell Twitter taking shots at our CEO and the club are missing is that there's a trade off with Turnbull signing that deal. As Burrows pointed out on Twitter last night "our promise to players (either Academy or players we recruit) is we’ll give a platform and will trade on, as long as the price is fair and reasonable."

In short, it's in no one's interest for us to price a player out the market. There's a bit of give and take.

Folk can pull a £5m fee out their arse because they think English clubs would have paid it but the fact is we've been actively speaking to clubs about Turnbull for months including clubs in England and as yet none of them have met the current valuation of £3m let alone £5m. The deal we've accepted from Celtic has taken weeks of discussion and upshot is we've now received a record fee that's more than Celtic paid for Ciftci, more than they paid for Armstrong, more than they paid for Hayes and (as a headline) it's the equivalent of what Villa paid for McGinn and Sporting CP paid for Gauld.

I bloody love Div Turnbull and I've been banging on about him in this thread since I first saw him in the u20s but I'd say all things considered £3m + extras is "fair and reasonable" to allow him to have a conversation with Celtic. If an English club met our valuation then I'm sure we'd have preferred to move the player on to them, that may even have been the preference of the player but they haven't so it is what it is and we are where we are.

As you say, we may have got an extra £500k-£750k if we'd held out a bit longer but similarly holding out that bit longer gives the manager less time. Our whole rationale behind patching Celtic's offer for Carson was that it didn't allow us time to sort an adequate replacement. As it stands if this deal is done now then it gives Robinson pretty much the full window to address his squad with the security of a club record fee in the bank.

Edited by capt_oats

8 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Aye, that's what I was getting at tbh. We announced Polworth back in April so we've clearly been anticipating/working on Div's exit probably since he signed his new deal in January.

You'd think we're self-aware enough to realise that moving him on (even for a fee that "vastly exceeds our record fee received") means that they need to do something to keep folk onside.

Definitely. The idea that we've somehow just rolled over is wild. As I said earlier in the thread Turnbull could quite easily have done the same as Hastie and patched our contract offer and walked for a dev fee. He didn't, instead he signed a 2 year deal.

The part a huge number of utter VLs on Motherwell Twitter taking shots at our CEO and the club are missing is that there's a trade off with Turnbull signing that deal. As Burrows pointed out on Twitter last night "our promise to players (either Academy or players we recruit) is we’ll give a platform and will trade on, as long as the price is fair and reasonable."

In short, it's in no one's interest for us to price a player out the market. There's a bit of give and take.

Folk can pull a £5m fee out their arse because they think English clubs would have paid it but the fact is we've been actively speaking to clubs about Turnbull for months including clubs in England and as yet none of them have met the current valuation of £3m let alone £5m. The deal we've accepted from Celtic has taken weeks of discussion and upshot is we've now received a record fee that's more than Celtic paid for Ciftci, more than they pair for Armstrong, more than they paid for Hayes and (as a headline) it's the equivalent of what Villa paid for McGinn and Sporting CP paid for Gauld.

I bloody love Div Turnbull and I've been banging on about him in this thread since I first saw him in the u20s but I'd say all things considered £3m + extras is "fair and reasonable" to allow him to have a conversation with Celtic. If an English club met our valuation then I'm sure we'd have preferred to move the player on to them, that may even have been the preference of the player but they haven't so it is what it is.

As you say, we may have got an extra £500k-£750k if we'd held out a bit longer but similarly holding out that bit longer gives the manager less time. Our whole rationale behind patching Celtic's offer for Carson was that it didn't allow us time to sort an adequate replacement. As it stands if this deal is done now then it gives Robinson pretty much the full window to address his squad with the security of a club record fee in the bank.

What a sensible post. You’ll have upset Random Guy though, who it would appear must be getting a cut of the fee, he’s so upset at the figure agreed between the two clubs.

7 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

What a sensible post. You’ll have upset Random Guy though, who it would appear must be getting a cut of the fee, he’s so upset at the figure agreed between the two clubs.

By your logic, about it being acceptable because its "double their transfer record", suggests youd be happy to accept £3m from Celtic for McKenna...

Edited by RandomGuy.

14 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Exactly (to everything you said, not just the quoted bit), there needs to be a long term view with regards to youth. You start pricing players out of moves and you will see more Jake Hastie's occurring in future. Why would a player sign a deal to benefit Motherwell if they're not willing to respect his wishes to leave when the time comes. It also gives you an edge when attracting youth to the club.

Additionally, no business can be arrogant enough to laugh off an offer over their annual turnover, and I'm sure there's a decent sell-on clause there too.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

The more you go on, the more it becomes clear you have absolutely have no idea how these things work.

Why the Scott Brown comparison?  That transfer was 12 years ago, coming from a different club and with a player at a different stage of his career.  It has absolutely no relevance to this deal.  Do we compare it to Ryan Gauld?  We got the same money as Utd got for him.  We got more for Turnbull than Utd got for future Scotland Captain/Champions League winner Andy Robertson.   What is your point?

The board at MFC, who I'm going to suggest are a bit more qualified than a sad, wee St Johnstone fan, have publicly stated they believe this deal represents maximum value for the player taking everything into consideration.  Nobody, even six months ago, would have guessed in their wildest dreams we'd get £3m plus for him.  This fees wipes out our debt and allows us to significantly invest in our future. 

You can stamp your feet all you like and say clubs like ours should get £5m/£6m for players but it's nonsense.