Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Who was the last non-Old Firm CM to score 15 league goals?

You can butter it up anyway you want with deflection, but you have to be aware you've got nowhere near his value considering he's not changing league.

100% agree. if the reported 250k addons is true thats a ridiculously low figure as well. Who is agreeing these fees.? Never have I been as disappointed in my life as a Motherwell fan as I am now

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Celtic needed to make a statement signing. They couldn't miss out on Turnbull after McGinn, and the pressure on Lawell is huge after the OF defeat and hiring Lennon.

Dundee, who sold Kamara for £50k, managed to squeeze £1.5m out a panicked Celtic for Hendry. 

Motherwell have missed a huge chance here, absolutely shat themselves at the first hurdle.

We can miss out on Turnbull and Mcginn, neither are/were being signed as first team picks. We rarely sign a player to go straight in the team as our players are generally worth a lot more than we ever pay so have to develop them usually first. As much as he has huge potential he's hardly a marquee signing after one full season in the Scottish premiership so its not going to get fans off his back massively.

They will have known the other potential suitors  and Im sure they would have invited them to bid also, it looks like they have declined. Getting a record fee and then classifying it as the worst piece of business is ludicrous.

Either way as much as I can understand Motherwell fans being gutted I am delighted with this signing. 

Edited by gannonball

3 minutes ago, gannonball said:

We can miss out on Turnbull and Mcginn, neither are/were being signed as first team picks. We rarely sign a player to go straight in the team as our players are generally worth a lot more than we ever pay so have to develop them usually first. As much as he has huge potential he's hardly a marquee signing after one full season in the Scottish premiership so its not going to get fans off his back massively.

They will have known the other potential suitors  and Im sure they would have invited them to bid also, it looks like they have declined. Getting a record fee and then classifying it as the worst piece of business is ludicrous.

Either way as much as I can understand Motherwell fans being gutted I am delighted with this signing. 

The fan pressure on Lawell, after scrimping and missing out on McGinn, who's had such a great season after, means he couldn't miss out on Turnbull or he'd have a mutiny.

It doesn't matter if Motherwell have a record fee, what matters is if they've got value for money, and they havent. Selling him for less than Hibs got for Brown highlights it.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Thing is, in January he could have have signed for another club and left us on a development fee. I'm not saying he would have but he could have. Hastie did exactly that. Instead he signed a new deal, I'd imagine a mutual agreement would have been a rough fee that we'd be happy for him to speak to other clubs and not stand in his way.

As it stands Celtic are the only club who've met our valuation so they get to speak to him. If any other clubs who are reported to have been interested want him they can pony up the cash and get the same opportunity.

It's obviously fucking gutting but it is what it is.

Edited by capt_oats

You can butter it up anyway you want with deflection, but you have to be aware you've got nowhere near his value considering he's not changing league.

It was a genuine question as I’ve no idea.

I’m assuming Celtic have met a release clause that was put in his contract to get him to sign an extension past the summer. £3m+ is a helluva lot more than the pitiful amount of compensation we’d have got if he signed a bosman.

Could we have got more than that figure? Maybe, but that’s obviously the highest bid so far.

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

Thing is, in January he could have have signed for another club and left us on a development fee. I'm not saying he would have but he could have. Hastie did exactly that. Instead he signed a new deal, I'd imagine a mutual agreement would have been a rough fee that we'd be happy for him to speak to other clubs.

As it stands Celtic are the only club who've met our valuation so they get to speak to him. If any other clubs who are reported to have been interested want him they can pony up the cash and get the same opportunity.

It's obviously fucking gutting but it is what it is.

Honest to god I would let him go for free never mind a development fee than sign for that mob

5 minutes ago, rambunctious said:

I’m assuming Celtic have met a release clause that was put in his contract to get him to sign an extension past the summer. 

There wouldnt be add ons if a release clause existed.

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Shit. Wish we had this guy as CEO. I'm sure his years playing Football Manager would have come in handy with this deal. 

f**k off, ya dick. 

2 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Is Well Well the Newcastle taxi driver? 

Just now, Well Well said:

obviously missed that thread and guess it's some sort of childish dig, whatever floats yer boat

That confirms it. Yes, yes he is. Anyone got a phone number for Scott Leitch? I might need a favour from him.