Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I see the rebuild thread on Steelmen is going well.

tumblr_inline_mo1zd18HyZ1qz4rgp.gif

We've lost/released 12 first team squad players...with a question mark over both Cadden and Turnbull still being here next season and Tanner's only on a short term deal having been broken for over a year.

We've brought in 6 so far mostly like for like:

Aldred = Gallagher
Gorrin = Sloth
ATS = Carroll
Frear = Hylton

Polworth's probably an insurance on Turnbull and/or Tanner, Long could be anything...he could be a replacement for Tanner (same age, slightly better goal scoring record) or he could be replacing Newell or Sammon. f**k knows.

Where we've been looking at quality to replace actual first team players we've done that with Gallagher and Sloth. For players like ATS and Frear who weren't even in the fucking first team we've taken a few punts. For me that's absolutely fine.

We've been public about interest in Ariybi and Cadden's deal is still on the table which suggests (to me at least) that the "forwards" we've brought in are meant to augment the squad ie: we'll have offered the same deal as we were offering to those who have left and kb'd them. I'm guessing (hoping) that we're still looking at "first team" signings are still to come.

It's wild that folk seem to think we'll be chucking wages at players who are simply filling the squad out a bit.

Either way it leaves budget freed up from the following still unallocated:

• McHugh
  • Main
  • Hastie
  • Sammon
  • McCormack
  • Mbulu
  • Newell
  • Ariyibi

I very much doubt we'll be signing another 8 players but would the collective pot of wages above allow us to make an offer to Gboly, a decent forward and bump wages in extensions for Cadden and Campbell?

Maybe?

58 minutes ago, Luke92 said:

Linky

I see Killie are going to be the second team to go with Safe Standing in Scotland. Bit of a weird one but its U16 only. 40k for 166 'seats'. I know  a lot of the previous discussion was dismissed for financial reasons but I really think we should be moving towards this in the next few years. I know the last section of the East essentially stand but I think it would improve the atmosphere further if we implemented a proper standing area. This would give the ground a wee bit of a more modern feel.

I don't know how many seats there is in the 'Bois' section, maybe a few hundred? But as a fan-owned club this is the sort of stuff i think we should be doing with any spare cash from future transfers (when the debt is cleared off) IMO most teams in the league will have this in the next ten years. 100k spend for the last sections of the East Stand seems like a decent shout to me.

The club is very progressive so I would be keen to see this put back on the table. I think the reality is we aren't going to be moving from Fir Park anytime soon (nor do I want to) but I really think we should be looking to modernise quite a bit.

I'd be supportive of a safe standing bit at Fir Park - but, spending a six figure sum on it will, I predict, see the more gammony, main stand type of punter go mental. It's a hostage to fortune that will be cast up every time we lose a run of the mill league game. 

I think we *have* to make an environment that hooks younger supporters so we've got them for life and some new terracing would help with that, so it is an investment - but the club would need to sell it very carefully...

37 minutes ago, Swello said:

I'd be supportive of a safe standing bit at Fir Park - but, spending a six figure sum on it will, I predict, see the more gammony, main stand type of punter go mental. It's a hostage to fortune that will be cast up every time we lose a run of the mill league game. 

I think we *have* to make an environment that hooks younger supporters so we've got them for life and some new terracing would help with that, so it is an investment - but the club would need to sell it very carefully...

Agree with this and also @well fan for life's point above.

It's credit to the club that they're savvy enough to identify the Bois as an asset and getting Derek to do his bit in the ST campaign is a smart move. It's "a.good.thing" to see the club largely on the same page with that section especially when you look around the league and see the apparent friction at other clubs. 

I've mentioned it before but I think this ST campaign has been great.

However as WFFL says if you frame it as "we're going to spend £100k (or whatever it costs) that we don't really need to as everyone in that section stands anyway" then I'd fully expect heads gone. A direct choice between railed seats and being able to bring in a couple of players would see only one winner and it's not an entirely unreasonable POV.

I mean, people are already back on their tired rhetoric about "wasting budget" on actual players we're signing let alone spending six figures that could conceivably limit the player budget.

That said, given we spent some money re-roofing the East Stand, replacing the scoreboard and added some extra turfed areas behind the goals for warm up areas and (as far as I'm aware) no one batted an eyelid I'd think if there was a packaged "renovation" plan that it could be incorporated into then it'd be worth looking into...see if there's some sort of grant/sponsorship/funding and if it can be presented as us not spending our own money then no one's really got a comeback on it.

Edited by capt_oats

Fee agreed with Celtic for Turnbull which ‘vastly exceeds our previous record fee’ and will be ‘truly transformational for the club’.

..I’m still raging it’s Celtic though.

Step forward Southampton, Brighton, Barnsley and whoever else to match the fee and let DT take his pick of clubs.

Edit : Sky Sports reporting it as £3m plus add ons.